BMW S1000RR Forum banner
121 - 140 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I needed something that could tow my S1000RR to track days and other events. Ha! I had it (F80 M3) longer than other cars, mostly because I liked it so much. The X4 M is about the best I could do for something to two my 2-bike Kendon trailer. The X4 M is my ninth consecutive M car. I'm a big fan of the M formula.
Awww hell, you're in Texas, if you want to haul (ass with) a trailer, 'git yourself a Dodge Ram TRX!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Think so? Is there some sort of comparison test you can point me to? I was very impressed with the Macan. Not as much as with the Ferrari, of course, but impressed.

Scroll to the bottom of each for the Specifications and instrument test results. The X3M outperforms the Macan Turbo in every category.

The X3M/X4M are BMW's secret hidden gems, so unsuspecting.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm a big fan of the M formula.
That formula is basically 3.0 L with ever increasing boost (24 psi in the current M3/4). Extremely high stress motor. Fortunately they have updated it to improve reliability, but I can't see them holding compression to 100k miles. I'll stick with 6.2L supercharged (and much better V8 noise)

Most owners think their cars walk on water and drive like complete idiots. Whenever I see some jerk weaving in and out of traffic on the highway, inevitably it's another M fanboi. A few make the mistake of riding my rear bumper and are quickly taught a lesson, with a big thumbs down

·
8,592 Posts
The X4 M is about the best I could do for something to two my 2-bike Kendon trailer. The X4 M is my ninth consecutive M car. I'm a big fan of the M formula.
I recommend latest gen X5M. I haul my 7x16 trailers with one, it's perfect whether hauling or not. Better than hauling with my Raptor that blew a transmission at 10k miles.

I tested most of European 2020+ SUVs before settling on X5M. I would steer away from X4 and lower M as they are a new platform, will have bugs for a couple of years.
The formula is simple with BMW, for M cars, give it one year after a new gen. For bikes 2 years. One more reason I went to GSXR for a couple of years till BMW fixes current issues. Some people will be fine with warranty, I don't have the patience to leave my bike at dealership for months. Been there, done that lol with S1k.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That formula is basically 3.0 L with ever increasing boost (24 psi in the current M3/4). Extremely high stress motor. Fortunately they have updated it to improve reliability, but I can't see them holding compression to 100k miles. I'll stick with 6.2L supercharged (and much better V8 noise)

Most owners think their cars walk on water and drive like complete idiots. Whenever I see some jerk weaving in and out of traffic on the highway, inevitably it's another M fanboi. A few make the mistake of riding my rear bumper and are quickly taught a lesson, with a big thumbs down
Off topic I know, but I wonder about the longevity of turbocharged gas engines in general.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

Scroll to the bottom of each for the Specifications and instrument test results. The X3M outperforms the Macan Turbo in every category.

The X3M/X4M are BMW's secret hidden gems, so unsuspecting.
True, but what I DIDN'T see there was lap times. Porsche's are sneaky fast that way.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I recommend latest gen X5M. I haul my 7x16 trailers with one, it's perfect whether hauling or not. Better than hauling with my Raptor that blew a transmission at 10k miles.
I've had a bunch of M3s, M5s and M6s. I've been gravitating to the smaller wheelbase for weight/handling. Were I to get a sedan/coupe again, I would have gotten the M2 Competition. My kids are long grown and don't need the space of the 5. I really like the size, handling and look of the X4 M for my purpose.

·
Premium Member
4,520 Posts
I wonder about the longevity of turbocharged gas engines in general.
Very good, if well designed and not over stressed. I have a BMW turbo with well over 100,000 miles with no engine issues and it pulls as well as when new. I have owned multiple cars with supercharged engines (and a Z06/Z07 currently) with no issues as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
True, but what I DIDN'T see there was lap times. Porsche's are sneaky fast that way.
You're not going to find much on lap times because these things are glorified grocery getters. The person behind the wheel is going to be the difference maker for anything in the same class. The big advantage of the more powerful cars is that pull away power in the straights. The Macan is unfortunately woefully underpowered compared to all the others in the class. I wanted to buy the Macan a couple years ago and it packed in many areas (aside from aesthetics) in comparison to the competition.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Off topic I know, but I wonder about the longevity of turbocharged gas engines in general.
They're definitely a lot better in that regard than they used to be, but it's simple physics and thermodynamics, the more highly stressed an engine is, the shorter the lifespan. I don't expect my 'RR to go much more than 100kmi without work needed to be done. Materials have advanced to make this better, but you can't cheat physics. A turbocharged 6-cyl of equal power to a N/A V8 may last 100k miles....whereas the larger and less stressed engine may go 200k miles. The closer you get to a material's ultimate failure point with each cycle (say, crank revolution), the more the accumulated stress builds up towards eventual failure. Plus, the smaller engines typically rev higher per mph, so there's more stress cycles per mile. It's like the old Mopar slant 6 engine: Not much power (or stress), but they were built like tanks and lasted forever. My dad bought one new in '64 and we put well over 200k miles on that car, sold it to his father, who put over 100k on it, and it was still running great when he sold it to his friend who probably put another 100K+ on it.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
You're not going to find much on lap times because these things are glorified grocery getters. The person behind the wheel is going to be the difference maker for anything in the same class. The big advantage of the more powerful cars is that pull away power in the straights. The Macan is unfortunately woefully underpowered compared to all the others in the class. I wanted to buy the Macan a couple years ago and it packed in many areas (aside from aesthetics) in comparison to the competition.
Well, I figure Exotics Racing in 'Vegas picked the car for a reason, and in talking to them, they had nothing but great things to say about them. Maybe it's cornering made up for the lack of power. I was impressed with it, even with 700lbs of people in it, it flat boogied. This, from a guy (me) who'd be more drawn to a BMW than a Porsche. I like Audi's (my X g/f bought a new 3.2L Q5 Quattro when I was with her), and it handled great, but, they're generally far too heavy and not at the top of the handling spectrum compared to the others. More a speedy luxury car, but then she would never drive it like I would.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Best car I ever had was an HSV Clubsport with a 6.2L LS3 engine in it. Put and aftermarket supercharger on it and it was a monster. Only car I regret selling.

Wouldn't mind a current model Mustang. Pretty much the only manual V8 you can buy here with a reasonable price. Maybe they're **** though, dunno.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did the northern europe 2019+ S1000RR have recalls?

I see quite a few of them sale here, prices have gone down dramatic for some reason....

2018 model costs the same or more than 2019 model. The "old" bikes sell fast, and the 2019+ dont sell....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah the new GTS ("Turbo") is pretty nice aside from its price. The pricing of a well optioned GTS is in the next class range. If it was priced in the same range as the others in it's class, it would be high on the list.

If you're set on an SUV, an X5M would be my pick over a Macan. These marginal handling differences between SUVs are laughable when you start looking at comparable cars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have kept my 2001 E46 M3 GTs, 6spd. Took Delivery of the car at the M factory and got to do the test drive at the M Track. The car has all the factory aluminum light weight technology. The car even has its own passport and has been in the International gumball rally. The car since then has been supercharged and modified with lots of my own engineering. 550-RWHP & 380-LB TQ it’s a total sleeper and back in the day could keep up with a GSXR-750. I’ve had the car for 20 years. Can’t be happier with that car.

The car seems to be very happy with the 2021 s1000RR.

I have been seriously disappointed with BMW lately. It seems a lot of dealers have become very careless. The motorcycle I took delivery of did not have the blue M Calipers as shown on BMW‘s website back in April when I placed my special order. I was told when the calipers would become available they would be switched out and after I paid for everything and took delivery the story and the motivation to deliver what was promised has been ignored. Both front forks have excessive fork oil leaking from its seals. After the first service the dealer left the rear wheel misaligned by over 2 mm, overfilled the engine with oil buy about a half a quart of engine oil.

All the dealer does is make excuses and figures out a way to cut and paste pictures off the BMW website that states or dilutes their responsibilities. I feel that the dealers are more motivated to make a sale then to support their products. And with a dealer the charge is $146 an hour to work on the motorcycle but completely disregards doing any quality work that puts my safety at risk. I’m about at my wits end trying to deal with the dealer and the disconnected support you receive from BMW North America and the factory. As customers I think we all need to take a hard look if we want to continue being customers of BMW. My past experience with BMW was up there in quality and service that I get from Ferrari and even Rolls-Royce. With such an excellent product if you don’t have the customer service and the support it greatly diminishes the value of their products.

I walked away from Ducati 8 years ago and Liquidated quite an extensive collection of motorcycles. When Ducati refused to support a race bike that spun Rod bearings and accused me of racing a race bike, refusing to honor the motorcycles warranty. That action completely, for me destroying their credibility as a quality manufacture. There motorcycle put my safety at risk and I won’t stand for that.

BMW needs to step up to the plate take responsibility and action to support their customers and products. if not we can all take our business elsewhere.

I’m off the soap box now. But I think many of you would agree with me. But I welcome everyone else is thoughts about BMW.

Take Care.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I considered the Machan GTS. My son has a Machan and it is a stunning looking car. It looks better than the X4 M on the outside, IMO. But I’m inside, so this is the perspective important to me.

I like the X4 M better. It is more powerful and faster. It has better ergos for me. Its interior design, especially the tech, is far advanced and better thought through. The console screen behind the steering wheel, the HUD and the main screen are so cool and work well together.

I’ve almost bought a Porsche several times, but always find myself preferring the M formula of design, performance, luxury, tech and choice selection.

The value is also far better in M, where most important features are standard, while Porsche forces you to pick through a gargantuan panoply of options to get what you want. When I configured the Machan GTS, I recall it being around $20K more than the X4 M. Then there’s the better BMW warranty/maintenance package.

121 - 140 of 279 Posts