BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After more than two years and 16,000 miles of trouble-free ownership, my 2020 S1000RR blew its engine on my Sunday ride a couple of days ago. I was cruising at around 90 on route to my favorite twisties when there was a sudden clunk and total loss of power. I clutched-in and coasted off the freeway into a parking lot. When I got off and looked at the bike, I was greeted to a stream of oil coming out from the bottom into a large puddle. There were a few aluminum crankcase fragments in the oil puddle. Maybe a bearing failed and threw a rod through the crankcase / oil pan. Others here can likely give a better explanation.

I was told that blown motors are more common among early K67 builds. Mine is among the earliest - May 2019, delivery Aug 2019 after the drill-hole defect inspect/fix. Thankfully BMW has a three-year warranty.

It was towed to the dealer yesterday. Let's hope it doesn't take long to replace.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Wow! Glad u ok! Expect a 10 week turnaround for the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job not crashing, hope it works out ok and you get back to riding soon.
Thanks. I didn't realize that not crashing was a big deal until I looked at my oil-drenched rear. I made a fairly sharp turn coasting into the parking lot to ensure I didn't lose speed.

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
71 Posts
Very well done, do you think TC helped? I had a friend take a spill at the track a few years back because of a oil plug not being correctly torqued and came loose mid turn on an early R1. Well done indeed and hope your back on 2 wheels soon. Just hope BMW sorted out any issues for the 2022 year 😝!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Holy sh!te! Glad you're ok, and that very EASILY could have been a fatal accident, especially on certain roads.

Man, that thing sure is doing it's best Hardley-Ableson impression! 🤣

Best of luck getting it all sorted out and fixed up. They should throw in a new set of tires because you can't be sure to get the rear clean after that.

Man, this kind of stuff REALLY makes me glad I kept my 2015. BMW REALLY needs to get to the bottom of this, Tom is LUCKY it wasn't a serious or fatal crash, and BMW is even luckier. I can only imagine the lawsuit for a fatal accident from this with BMW KNOWING there's an issue here and not recalling all the motors. Can you say "Class Action"? I KNEW you could!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Edit to add mine was also may 19 build. Been 9+ weeks since I was told I had a new motor on the way. Still no updates. Ruined my whole summer.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Glad you kept it upright, nice one. Shame about your bike though.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ugh. Good think you are ok. But this type of failure is very disturbing.

People with more knowledge, is there a known inspection or preventative maintenance that one could do to avoid or be warned about imminent catastrophic failures? Can an average mechanic at a dealership look and say "this might fail; let's replace this and that". I am thinking that I might pay out of pocket for such preventive check if it means no crash at 90 on the highway. Who cares if BMW replaces my engine if I am in a wheelchair?

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,383 Posts
You can't really prevent a mechanical engine failure. I mean aside from changing the oil and not abusing the bike you can't do anything else. If its going to wear and fail, then it simply will. Most of these issues are not down to the user. They are down to a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Ugh. Good think you are ok. But this type of failure is very disturbing.

People with more knowledge, is there a known inspection or preventative maintenance that one could do to avoid or be warned about imminent catastrophic failures? Can an average mechanic at a dealership look and say "this might fail; let's replace this and that". I am thinking that I might pay out of pocket for such preventive check if it means no crash at 90 on the highway. Who cares if BMW replaces my engine if I am in a wheelchair?
You can monitor the health of the oil, and you can listen for any weird "knocking" noises (maybe with one of those mechanic's stethescopes). But, there really isn't anything else you can do from the OUTSIDE of your engine to tell if it's going to fail like that. If there is a problem with the basic design or if a bad part slipped thru inspection, in something as highly stressed as connecting rods, valve springs, valves, camshaft lobes etc., the catastrophic failure is usually pretty instantaneous. If BMW KNOWS about a specific problem, which this seems like they do, they SHOULD have a fix in production now for it to prevent other people's motor's from grenading (and killing someone), and should be replacing people with blown motors and being REALLY grateful and apologetic to people who's motors have blown up, knowing this kind of failure could easily have killed him or at least seriously injured him and any passenger that might have been on the back. These kinds of catastrophic failures where the entire crankcase dumps il in front of the rear tire should NEVER happen. I think they need to recall ALL the questionable motors before someone gets injured or killed. This is the first I've ever heard of something like this happening with a brand new bike, especially a bunch of them. Ever. Maybe it's happened before with another brand (doubt it), but I've never personally heard about it, and I keep my ear to the ground in regards to all things motorcycle. This is completely unacceptable.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very well done, do you think TC helped? I had a friend take a spill at the track a few years back because of a oil plug not being correctly torqued and came loose mid turn on an early R1. Well done indeed and hope your back on 2 wheels soon. Just hope BMW sorted out any issues for the 2022 year 😝!
There is nothing traction control can do. TC and ABS can reduce power and reduce brake pressure, but I was coasting with no engine and clutch-in (eventually N to make it easier) and so neither were operative.

I have video of the ride if BMW tries to give me crap. I also have BMW Connected app metrics showing my peak RPM that ride to be around 9800. There was no reason for it to blow other than it was the time for the defect to fail.

The funny/embarrassing part of the video is when I just got off the bike, was squatting down next to it looking at the oil stream, puddle and metal chunks, whereupon I sardonically said deadpan to myself "well, that's not good." You always need a sense of humor.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
There is nothing traction control can do. TC and ABS can reduce power and reduce brake pressure, but I was coasting with no engine and clutch-in (eventually N to make it easier) and so neither were operative.

I have video of the ride if BMW tries to give me crap. I also have BMW Connected app metrics showing my peak RPM that ride to be around 9800. There was no reason for it to blow other than it was the time for the defect to fail.

The funny/embarrassing part of the video is when I just got off the bike, was squatting down next to it looking at the oil stream, puddle and metal chunks, whereupon I sardonically said deadpan to myself "well, that's not good." You always need a sense of humor.
They'll be able to tell that, unlike the guy here who blew his motor all by himself by drastically overreving it, you DIDN'T, and when a connecting rod meets the outside world (as it sounds like, basically nothing else with hole a motor like that), if you've never taken it apart or starved it for oil, it CAN'T be your fault. To me it sounds like there was a defect in the con rod and it just snapped, not like it seized a main bearing or something where it tightens up before it blows, and sometimes simply just tightens up without snapping the rod. This to me sounds like a total rod failure. Do these new S models have Ti connecting rods? If so, it may be something like a notch sensitivity failure.

When it dumped oil like that, you should have rolled up asking where the Hardley parking was... 🤣

Glad you're ok, best of luck with it, and let us know how BMW handles it. Man, again, I'm SO glad I kept my 2015 after being tempted with the new ones...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Sports equipment
Good to hear that you are fine. One of my friend had an exactly similar situation with a blown engine (I posted here about 2 months ago). BMW replaced the engine, electrical harness, chain and sprockets and also the rear tire (it was damaged by oil) and after replacing the engine they realized that also the ECU had a hole and said that will replace the ECU too. That was about 3 weeks ago and since then...no news.

Two days ago I was costing around 140km/h when I got the red alert (see attached pic) that is a serious fault in engine control, damage possible and a funny "Onward journey possible" :)) When I stopped to make a picture of the error and see if any other damages are visible I noticed a different sound in the engine like a broken bearing or something... Bike is at the dealer shop since yesterday but they didn't gave me any feedback yet...

·
Premium Member
2018 S1000RR Blue/White
308 Posts
Glad you made it off the road safely! Hope this gets resolved quickly!!

1 - 20 of 273 Posts