BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, another issue with the K67. I think I have been stumped however.

About a month ago I noticed how awful the throttle response was at low speed and how poorly the bike reacted to a large dose of throttle twist. 60 mph in second, full twist on the highest settings and the bike has not looped. The engine sputters, fails to ignite properly. When the engine hits 12k RPM, it refuses to push past in a linear motion. almost as if there is a limiter on it...

I purchased a gs-911 to see if this issue could be resolved. Reset the adaptations, nothing.... Did a code read, nothing...

I tried reflashing my bren tune, nothing...

I bought four new coils and four new spark plugs, nothing...

I have no idea what is wrong with this bike, it is super fun to ride, when it works properly. Which has been a solid zero this season...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a short video

Bren tune stage two
Air flapper delete
Engine block off plates
Air box mod
Full akra line

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
Why dont you put the STOCK file back in and at least see if the problem goes away?

Reactions: Littlebitoquickness

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why dont you put the STOCK file back in and at least see if the problem goes away?

Yeah, it's my next step.

I was told to unplug the widebands at the front to see if it makes a difference. I'll try the stock tune afterwards but my rear o2 sensors are unplugged and deleted so the ECU might freak out...

Could it be a throttle position sensor?

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
There is no TPS like the 10-14 S1000RR throttle bodies had.

The twist grip itself is like a TPS, but, alot more complicated.

Your bike appears red. That would be a 2020 K67. That does have the older version twist grip assembly and there is an update version that started in 2021. My M1000RR was built in May 2021 and it has the updated released twist grip.

Alot of people that track day the 2020 and early 21 have issues with the twist grip in that leaning on the twist grip causes it to rub plastic on plastic inside the housing and this degrades the comparator circuit part of the way the electronics work. So, yes, if the stock tune does the same issues, then you should look at getting the newer version twist throttle.

Reactions: A B

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rly 21 have issues with the twist grip in that leaning on the twist grip causes it to rub plastic on plastic inside the housing and this degrades the comparator circuit part of the way the electronics work. So, yes, if the stock tune does the same issues, then you should look at getting the newer version twist throttle.
It does make some sense, I do remind myself to let off the bars as I have a death grip when things start getting spicy.

I also use the bar end tiedowns when I haul my bike around. Would the sleeves contacting the grips affect this in any way?

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
It does make some sense, I do remind myself to let off the bars as I have a death grip when things start getting spicy.
[bold]
I also use the bar end tiedowns when I haul my bike around. Would the sleeves contacting the grips affect this in any way?[/bold]
100% the worse thing you can do on a throttle by wire twist grip is use canyon dancers. Those things pull the grip forward and if there is slack in the bike to roll forward and backward on vehicle acceleration and deceleration ,, this is so bad.

The death grip is not so good either.

Pooched. Buy new and test if the stock tune does not resolve the issue. Really if the BT tune was doing fine at the first and all the sudden this issue started, then the odds are better it is the twist grip. However, if the issue started with the BT tune then, well, maybe contact me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I had those canyon dancers since day one. well over 10k miles of hauling the bike around... glad that we potentially narrowed down the issue....

What would the part be called?

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
yes, it is redesigned for the late 21 and 22 models. The twist throttle you have now has a connector on the throttle housing, and this has changed to a one piece wire from the throttle housing to the connection under the fuel tank cover. There was too many situations where water was causing an issue at that housing connector and people putting it in so wrong it bent the pins.

The one in the picture also has the heated grip option.

Audio equipment Auto part Font Rim Metal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My buddy has a 21. I was going to use his to try and see if it resolves the issue. does this mean i have to connect to underneath the tank? Sounds like a real PITA to do on the fly…

There are two connectors in there. One exterior and one interior. I wonder which gets deleted.

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
The new 21 is plug and use. However, your adaptation will need to be reset with the GS911.

you only remove the fuel tank plastic cover. The connector is right on top of the ECU plastic holder. I could make the change in about 30 minutes.

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
perfect, ill give that a try a little later on. Hopefully this resolves the issue.

throttle twist adaptations?
you wrote this
I purchased a gs-911 to see if this issue could be resolved. Reset the adaptations, nothing..
The twist throttle adaptation.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
299 Posts
yes, it is redesigned for the late 21 and 22 models. The twist throttle you have now has a connector on the throttle housing, and this has changed to a one piece wire from the throttle housing to the connection under the fuel tank cover. There was too many situations where water was causing an issue at that housing connector and people putting it in so wrong it bent the pins.

The one in the picture also has the heated grip option.

View attachment 223492
Is this new throttle mechanism a free update? I have a 2021 model year with a build date of 12/2020.
I haven't experienced a problem but my bike was just picked up by BMW Roadside Assistance (the throttle cable snapped when shifting from 1st to second normal acceleration) and I noticed they used canyon dancers which made me wonder .... I have to test the bike tomorrow to see if it all works ok. The dealer also updated the cam chain tensioner per that now active in US recall.

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
That is a 2 part clip on connector. You are just releasing the gray tab. Now get ahold of both ends and the removal part of the connector will slide a little.. once it slides open slightly, you then press the tab button and remove the 2 halves of the connector.

Picture worth a 1000 words I hope ... : )

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Screenshot

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
Is this new throttle mechanism a free update? I have a 2021 model year with a build date of 12/2020.
I haven't experienced a problem but my bike was just picked up by BMW Roadside Assistance (the throttle cable snapped when shifting from 1st to second normal acceleration) and I noticed they used canyon dancers which made me wonder .... I have to test the bike tomorrow to see if it all works ok. The dealer also updated the cam chain tensioner per that now active in US recall.
It called covered under warranty if you can prove it was broke before the canyon dancers were used. I know of a guy that hauled his S1000RR to the dealer for repairs on the twist throttle and multi switch. Well, the canyon dancers were used by this guy and the service guy was helping unload and the way the canyon dancers were across the multi switch broke it anyway. So it was not covered under warranty repairs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update. The throttle was left alone. I unplugged my two front o2 wideband sensors my rear ones are deleted As they dont need to be on the bike apparently.
Could i have a faulty wideband?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts