BMW S1000RR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 197 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
He has performed well.

But if the early races are any indication it will matter little if the BMW gains a bit of power; Bautista is laying waste to everyone.

Unless, of course, everyone is down on power. :)

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
The v4r seems rather quick. It would be fun to see the comparison with Rea piloting the same bike as Bautista.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That VR4 has some power. I was watching how Bautista was just flying out of the last turn on to the straight and my jaw was on the floor. Up until today I had no idea the BMW was still on a stock engine and under powered. I was initially disappointed that both BMWs were finishing so low. Now I'm not so disappointed in Sykes finishing where he did. Makes me wonder if they can break into the top five once the engine is replaced/updated.

·
4,605 Posts
BMW's approach was to release HP4R and do a WSBK/street bikes based on it.
Ducati's approach was to release V4/s and develop R last based on feedback. Looks like their approach is working better so far. Given that Duc had V4 out for over a year.

I really hope BMW figures things out. With restrictions WSBK has on engine changes, can BMW get that much more power?

One million dollar question is how much of it is rider's skill Vs bike's power? Rea said "skill cannot outrun power, and Kawi needs more power". But 15+ sec is insane!! Second race will tell. If it was V4 winning, it's that motoGP skill and not power making the difference.

·
Registered
162 Posts
BMW's approach was to release HP4R and do a WSBK/street bikes based on it.
Ducati's approach was to release V4/s and develop R last based on feedback. Looks like their approach is working better so far. Given that Duc had V4 out for over a year.

I really hope BMW figures things out. With restrictions WSBK has on engine changes, can BMW get that much more power?

One million dollar question is how much of it is rider's skill Vs bike's power? Rea said "skill cannot outrun power, and Kawi needs more power". But 15+ sec is insane!! Second race will tell. If it was V4 winning, it's that motoGP skill and not power making the difference.
Not denying Bautista's ability, but I'm leaning towards the V4 just being that powerful or just that fast. I mean, did you see how it pulled away on the straights coming out of the turn? It almost looked like Rea just couldn't keep up once the track straightened out.

·
4,605 Posts
Not denying Bautista's ability, but I'm leaning towards the V4 just being that powerful or just that fast. I mean, did you see how it pulled away on the straights coming out of the turn? It almost looked like Rea just couldn't keep up once the track straightened out.
Speed on the straights is all about corner's exit before the straights. Maybe Rea is just not as good on corner exists. 1-3 mph faster corner exit speed easily translates to 3x on the straights.

Not denying how powerful the V4 is, but 15+ sec gap cannot be from just power. There are limits on how much WSBK bike can make over production bikes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are 4 V4Rs on the grid and only Bautista scored that well, so I think it was rider + a very well setup bike. That worked very well on that track.
Let's see how the season continues on different tracks and what happens when BMW has their race engine ready , which is always vastly different from a stock engine.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Haven't been more interested in wsbk for years. This weekend looked promising too.

Hoping it's not another "the Kawasaki show" year. I do like kawasaki but it's boring watching them win all the time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Honestly, I just wanna see BMW put out a respectable showing. It's a new bike so I don't expect them to take podiums every other week, but top 10? maybe a few top 5 finishes would be nice. Next season though, my expectations will be up. Since I got my first BMW I've been a huge fan of the machine and its abilities so I want to see BMW win, but I also appreciate great rider ability so it's still a win for me.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Congrats to Bautista for such a good showing. That Duc really had some power advantage for sure. As compared to the BMW that was 15 mph slower down the front straight...I sure hope they fix that for Sikes. The good news was that the BMW seemed to handle all other areas pretty good.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Man that bike is ******* gorgeous... I’m so pumped for this season!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congrats to Bautista for such a good showing. That Duc really had some power advantage for sure. As compared to the BMW that was 15 mph slower down the front straight...I sure hope they fix that for Sikes. The good news was that the BMW seemed to handle all other areas pretty good.
I maybe wrong but sure one of the races I watched the commentator said the BMW was still using the stock spec engine at the moment so if true there power & speed will increase. The Duc was a weapon in the hands of Bautista yet no other Duc really performed & PI is a major power track.

61 - 80 of 197 Posts