BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soooo I tore my bike down in an attempt to perform the 18k service myself. Absolutely not hard and everything has been going smooth as butter. Made it all to my spark plugs, took one out and immediately realized the new ones I have on hand, don't match the plugs that came stock. This means I am a moron, correct?

FWIW, the new set of plugs are the laser iridiums that are longer lasting that I heard about from another post on this forum. I have a 2016 S1RR if year matters. Spark Plug part number of the new ones i ordered are LMAR9AI-8, 97225

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am confused, if they are a different type of plug why would they match?? They look to have the same thread type and count...
Idk to be honest. I thought like everything else, spark plugs could be upgraded. But it looks like that is not the case. Now if only I had realized this sooner…

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you would have to look at the picture i posted and tell me if i did or not lol
They both look like tiny heads to me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following what happened here. Is Tried&True saying the 97225 Iridiums did not fit, or is he saying the 97225s are the ones that did fit and what he originally got (whatever that might have been) was wrong?

Need a set myself and prefer the Iridiums but will go Cu if need be.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Just because you can screw them in does NOT mean they're the correct plugs. They may be too long and contact the piston. They may be the wrong heat range or have the wrong gap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
FWIW I had my BMW dealer put in the NGKs (LMAR9AI-8) because of the long-lasting nature during the valve job. They took it for a test ride, no issues. I've had it out to make sure some new rims were good and also observed no issues up and down the rev range. So to finish up what seemed to have been left hanging, these NGK Iridiums seem to work just fine.

After I get her out on the track and spend a day whipping her I'll advise if I run into any problems but I am not expecting any at this point.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am confused, if they are a different type of plug why would they match?? They look to have the same thread type and count...
Doesn’t mean anything. You can get different plugs for different temps. We used to carry 6 different sorts for two strokes and depending where we were we’d change them. They all look the same but they’re very different. I can’t remember what the Iridiums did but they helped when we had a issue with our ignition system

·
Registered
105 Posts
FWIW I had my BMW dealer put in the NGKs (LMAR9AI-8) because of the long-lasting nature during the valve job. They took it for a test ride, no issues. I've had it out to make sure some new rims were good and also observed no issues up and down the rev range. So to finish up what seemed to have been left hanging, these NGK Iridiums seem to work just fine.

After I get her out on the track and spend a day whipping her I'll advise if I run into any problems but I am not expecting any at this point.
Sorry for the super-old bump but tying this up, I had no issues at the track either.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Just confirming, the bike comes with these:
NGK 1633 LMAR9D-J Multi-Ground Plug
SKU# LMAR9D-J
Item# NGK1633

and you switched to the NGK 97225 LMAR9AI-8 Laser Iridium Plug
SKU: #LMAR9AI-8
ITEM : # NGK97225
BRAND : NGK

Any issues? I'm about to pull the trigger on plugs after dealer quoted me $280. I bought the $10 tool, and plugs are about $12 each.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. No issues that I can reasonably report. I did have a problem with my piston rings getting super-leaky but think its either the brief use of Rotella or too-long-use of Motul 300V.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts