BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best video I've seen on here in a long time. I bet those guys on track bikes were initially laughing.
Thanks man. The other rider in the S1000XR is an instructor, so he convinced me to take mine out. He has rearsets on his and gets some crazy lean angles. I should be able to go a little quicker if I raised my pegs and get Dunlop Q3s or better. I was running Bridgestone Battlax S21 here, and while sticky, they're not as good for the track as the Q3s. At 3:11 and other portions of the video you can see my traction control working overtime even though I had it on the least restrictive mode (Dynamic Pro).

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I've been getting more comfortable with the XR now that I have a few track days under my belt. Here's a compilation of highlights from my recent track day. Lots of fun passing that red S1000RR. >:) :wink2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNUqiMJkJJg
Funny..... @z00 never mentioned getting schooled by an XR.

Steve (a coach with TPM) is damn fast on his XR too, and surely has shown Z-man the quick way around. Not for nothing, but he's probably got a couple dozen pounds on me too.

He is one of many who humbled me, many many many times, but it always bruised the ego worse than the R6 riders who also did the same, because.......
1...He's bigger than me
2...He's on an XR, with street tires!!!!!!

Especially at ncbike around the "lollipop" when I was certain I was improving, and no way in hell that old guy was going to "get me" and 1/3 of the way around, he rolls by on the outside, and is gone!!!!

Edit: Glad to see you posting again Harley

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Steve (a coach with TPM) is damn fast on his XR too
He is! I could only touch him on the straights, in the turns he definitely pulls a lead on me.

At 5:49 I'm chasing him for half a lap and at 6:04 you can hear me dragging the foot peg trying to keep up.

Edit: Glad to see you posting again Harley.
Thanks, I come here every one in a while to be jealous of your bikes, haha.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
He is! I could only touch him on the straights, in the turns he definitely pulls a lead on me.

At 5:49 I'm chasing him for half a lap and at 6:04 you can hear me dragging the foot peg trying to keep up.

Thanks, I come here every one in a while to be jealous of your bikes, haha.

Nothing to be jealous about, I'd blow by him like he was standing still at ncbike on the straight right at the skidpad (about 2/3rds of the straight going clockwise) and he'd immediately late brake me in turn one!!!! Then he'd be gone by the time entering lollipop.......
Hurts the stones........
Looks like he was on Q3's that day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing to be jealous about, I'd blow by him like he was standing still at ncbike on the straight right at the skidpad (about 2/3rds of the straight going clockwise) and he'd immediately late brake me in turn one!!!! Then he'd be gone by the time entering lollipop.......
Hurts the stones........
Looks like he was on Q3's that day.
He was. I switched to S21s because I get an extra 1000-1500 miles out of them on the streets (plus they were $160 for the set), but Q3s are sure better for the track. I'm trying to find a cheap 600cc sportbike during the winter time so I can come play next season. The XR is a lot of fun but what would not be fun is crashing with it.

·
4,604 Posts
Funny..... @z00 never mentioned getting schooled by an XR.
Don't get your hopes up. That's intermediate group, I run advanced with TPM bro. I was there that track day as well.

I get schooled by 300s sometimes, but sorry to disappoint you, your guy on XR is about 9 seconds behind my pace :x

The red RR he passed is a friend of mine, he is a member on here too, it's his first track day in 4 years. My red RR has red wheels.
I'm at NCBike this weekend, hopefully XR guys are in advanced, let's have some fun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The red RR he passed is a friend of mine, he is a member on here too, it's his first track day in 4 years. My red RR has red wheels.
I'm at NCBike this weekend, hopefully XR guys are in advanced, let's have some fun.
Haha, not even fair. We all know I passed that RR because he was still working on his confidence. I was already dragging foot pegs in a few places even on street tires. In advanced group I'd only be passing the 300s on the straight only to get passed again on the curves.

I might come down to NCBike this weekend to check on the action, but I'm done riding at the track this year. It's a blast but I need to find me a suitable bike.

·
4,604 Posts
^ @5150 Pops is gonna be very disappointed it was not me haha

I got passed by a supermoto in advanced. Some guys on naked/supermoto know NCBike very well.

XR handles ok on the track, but you know it's not built for it. If you come this weekend, and see a red on red RR, say hi. I have a worn rear sprocket and I hope I'll make it through my track day.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't take the S1k to the track often. I usually use my SV650 (its what I got it for). If you ever happen to be at a track day with me ill be the gorilla on the moped lol. It is a great feeling to pass an S1k in the corner to have them blow by me on the straight then pass again on the next corner lol. I might take both bikes to my next track day ... get my work on the SV done early then play around on the S1k later in the day. We will see.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts

I got passed by a supermoto in advanced. Some guys on naked/supermoto know NCBike very well.

XR handles ok on the track, but you know it's not built for it. If you come this weekend, and see a red on red RR, say hi. I have a worn rear sprocket and I hope I'll make it through my track day.
Trust me when I say: We all wanted it to be you z00. :laugh:

·
4,604 Posts
Trust me when I say: We all wanted it to be you z00. :laugh:
I know, you guys just jeally because I'm new to this track life and can lap many of you who have been riding for years.

Nothing wrong with being passed. $hit, I know one racer/coach that runs 1:32 on a 300cc on that track. I do 1:35 on a leader bike >:)
He does 1:26 on a 600cc. I don't wanna know what his time is on a leader bike. He is on a race bike/slicks, I'm on street bike/tires.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Being on a 1k is actually slowing you down most likely to be honest. The best way to be a fast rider fast IMHO is on a slow bike. That is why I use the SV for the track and have learned to really enjoy how terribly slow it is in the straights. Anyway by having a slow bike that corners well you are forced to perfect body position, line, braking, early acceleration for good drive... all that important stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Was just razzin you. I knew full well by the wheels and tape job it wasn't you, but initially I was hoping against hope.
>:)
I think you might be wrong about Steve's pace though. Just because he hasn't lapped you YET, on his XR, doesn't mean he is unable. As mentioned many times before, most people "holdback" and are not balls out every single time. He's at work, coaching many people at once, and keeping the peace.

·
4,604 Posts
^ I go balls deep, not balls out :p especially on street tires.

·
4,604 Posts
I prefer to focus on technique and training. Yes, slicks and warmers will help, but until I have a dedicated track bike, I'll stick to street tires. Moving to race street-legal tires for my next set. Here goes my hard earned money :surprise:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts