BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a great price on it new ($529 + shipping, tax, FFL, etc.) and picked it up last Saturday, but was feeling sick last Sunday and haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. I'm REALLY looking forward to it because I like shooting .45, and I've wanted this gun for the last probably 4 years, just couldn't afford it until now because of job layoffs/insecurity. I've heard lots of great things about it (accuracy, reliability, phenomenal trigger etc.), with the only negative being some people calling it "snappy" with more "muzzle flip" due to it's high bore axis, and maybe the lack of aftermarket goodies compared to, say, a Glock (which I don't like). We'll see. It feels really good in my large mitts and definitely feels like a high-quality piece. One of the really cool things is that I guess every Walther gets shipped with the target that the German test shooter used, to show that particular guns accuracy. At 15m it was a really nice, evenly spaced, 5-shot group of about 2.5" max between the center of the furthest shots, really evenly centered on the bullseye. I can only hope to do as well!

I'm a total novice and this is my first handgun purchase, but I'll give it a "range report" after this weekend. I was hoping to shoot in the local BLM area full of box canyons this Saturday, but if the weather sux I may need to go to an indoor range, so I wouldn't be able to use my metal targets I just bought.

Anyone else have one, in either .45 or 9mm? If so, thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ran 225 rounds thru it yesterday, using 3 different brands (2 of them cheap "range ammo") and had ZERO issues, ran like a champ! Felt really good in my oversized mitts. I was getting maybe 6" groups at 25' when I wasn't shooting fast. Shoots REALLY nice. My retired Marine buddy put a mag thru it and really liked it. as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I recently picked up the CZ P10C in 9mm, love shooting that thing. I can't decide between that and muy sig P226 MK25. I only own one .45, my kimber 1911. Uuufffff nuff said lol

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went out shooting Sunday with my neighbor friend who's a retired Marine/Navy/Cop (he's seen a lot of different action!) and ended up running 235+ rounds thru "Wally" with 3 different brands of 230gr ball ammo, some kinda cheap range ammo, and ZERO problems. Shot like a champ! I LOVE this gun. I was able to get good groupings at 25'. I was happy with it, especially since it'd been YEARS since I last shot and it's my first time with this gun. My buddy really liked it as well...kinda looked like he wanted to buy one. I like 1911's, but truthfully, I like and shoot better with Wally than my buddy's Springfield 1911, plus I have 12+1 capacity to his 8+1 I think it is. I highly recommend it!

Reactions: SRod321

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent report!
Thanks! I wish I could post pics of my target and me at the distance I shot at. I cleaned it when I got home, and it comes apart really easy. This is my first handgun so I was surprised at all the little moving bits in the polymer frame that the manual doesn't really mention cleaning and you can;t take apart anyways. So, I just wet a q-tip with some cleaner and lightly wiped any residue and any shipping/packing lube, and put one tiny drop of oil in areas (not in the manual) I thought could use it in addition to the specified points with my pinpoint (tip like a hypodermic) oiler. Put it all back together and it feels like the whole thing rides on needle bearings! That, to me, was the biggest difference between the .45 Glock the salesman showed me and the Walther. I know guys love them but, the Glock felt kinda....cheap and gritty when pulling the slide back. Plus I always get slide bite when I shot them if I wasn't REALLY careful. Never an issue with the Walther. And I've seen a video of a guy dropping the walther in water, sand, gravel, etc., and it looked as reliable in firing as anything I'd ever expect a handgun to need to be. I understand that maybe not in America, but in Germany and the EU the 9m version is used as their duty handgun. Hickok45 has a cool video of him shooting the .45 (Oh, and I bought that Maglula speedloader and it ROCKS! A tad pricey but the guy at Big R where I bought it said that's what's in his own range bag - sold!:

And here's the link to the guy TOTALLY abusing the Walther .45:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: FatWilbur

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
The Maglula is a great gadget, well designed.

I find one's first target with a new pistol remains the best shot for quite some time. It is before you have developed any bad habits with the gun.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just got my 1,000 rounds of Federal 230gr "ball" ammo ($.40/round) for target shooting and general use, plus my 100 rounds of Federal +P 230gr HST Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP) ($.82/round) for my defense carry mags. This is my first time buying bulk, and I'm impressed, they had it to me in, like, a week. Best price I found on .45. I got tired of trying to find ammo locally so, this solves that problem. I've REALLY been Jonesing to shoot "Wally" (My Walther) again since it's new to me, and glad now I have ammo to do it. There's some BLM land with lots of great box canyons to shoot in about 9 miles from me.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TIme to get a Can for that SD! Seriously fun to shoot and hold a quiet conversation at the same time..
Actually, the reason I got the SD was I wanted the longer barrel (15%-ish) for a little better accuracy. Plus I have to think that another .65" would give the gases a little longer to expand and accelerate the slug. Minor differences, I know, but I'll take them AND the ability to put a suppressor or compensator on it. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually, the reason I got the SD was I wanted the longer barrel (15%-ish) for a little better accuracy. Plus I have to think that another .65" would give the gases a little longer to expand and accelerate the slug. Minor differences, I know, but I'll take them AND the ability to put a suppressor or compensator on it. :)
I dont think you will see any real difference in the accuracy for that +.65" but the velocity increase is real. I remember messing around with a chrono at work with a glock 26, glock 19 and glock 19c (compensated) and the velocity differences were pretty shocking for such a small change in barrel length. Im not a huge 45 guy but I did pick this up last summer:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts