BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for further reference and I’m sure I’m not the only one concerned given the way BMW mapped the 2020 RR.

As far as I’m aware, BMW will flash these bikes during the first service to remove the “break-in” limits set in place from the factory. But after this service I’m considering flashing the ECU to improve mid range performance but mostly to correct the flap logic in the exhaust. If I do flash the ECU, will the dealer flash the ECU again in future service’s or am I safe once the first service is completed?

·
Administrator
6,635 Posts
The dealer will install updates (if available) whenever the bike is in for service. Think of it like any Windows device. Perhaps you could ask him not to install updates, but that may affect your warranty.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I tell my dealer that I do not want any updates with a "works to perfection don't mess with it" claim. Never had an issue with 2 dealers or warranty.

·
Vendor
2,510 Posts
The answer is that if you take your S1000RR or any other BMW for that matter into the dealer for maintenance of any kind, and they look up your VIN, and there is outstanding BMWAG updates, they will want to flash the ECU. There is such a DME update now in the system since October 2019. So if you purchased your 2020 model in Dec Jan Feb, the odds are pretty good that the update has been done. That of course is dependent on the dealer connecting the bike to the ISTA computer and checking that no updates are needed before you took delivery of it.

Now, if you put tape over your OBDII connector, and you specify to the service manager that no updating of your ECU is requested, then they should abide to your request and with the tape wrapped around the connector, the service tech should not remove it.

The update in the system for DME : update is paid for by BMWAG to the dealer. That is why the dealer insist on doing it. I know of 2 people that requested no ECU service updates and the service manager told them that the update is going to be shown on the paperwork as 'done" and it will not really be done but the dealer will get the paid service from BMWAG as it was done. Not best practices in my mind for a service manager to do this, but, they are doing by your request not to touch the ECU code and you are happy with the way it is now. Its not broke dont fix it theory.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
^^ This. As usual BMW 388 is on the mark and reminded me that I put tape on mine as well. I leave a tape "flag" and write on it "DON'T USE". In 5 years no updates accepted and no work orders stated they were done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The answer is that if you take your S1000RR or any other BMW for that matter into the dealer for maintenance of any kind, and they look up your VIN, and there is outstanding BMWAG updates, they will want to flash the ECU. There is such a DME update now in the system since October 2019. So if you purchased your 2020 model in Dec Jan Feb, the odds are pretty good that the update has been done. That of course is dependent on the dealer connecting the bike to the ISTA computer and checking that no updates are needed before you took delivery of it.

Now, if you put tape over your OBDII connector, and you specify to the service manager that no updating of your ECU is requested, then they should abide to your request and with the tape wrapped around the connector, the service tech should not remove it.

The update in the system for DME : update is paid for by BMWAG to the dealer. That is why the dealer insist on doing it. I know of 2 people that requested no ECU service updates and the service manager told them that the update is going to be shown on the paperwork as 'done" and it will not really be done but the dealer will get the paid service from BMWAG as it was done. Not best practices in my mind for a service manager to do this, but, they are doing by your request not to touch the ECU code and you are happy with the way it is now. Its not broke dont fix it theory.
Thanks for the information. Tapping the connector is probably a great idea that I will utilize. I just don’t want to see the dealer flash over a $600+ flash and have to get it redone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts