1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHY DID WE DECIDE TO USE A HANDHELD AS A PREFERRED METHOD
OF FLASHING OVER MAILING IN YOUR ECU?

NO DOWNTIME

Handheld tuners eliminate the need to remove your ECU and mail it back and forth to your tuner for changes or software updates. This could leave your bike inoperable for at least a week or so. Our handheld tuner means you'll never have issues with your bike being inoperable. Your ECU stays in the bike, even during the tuning process with us, and your bike is always ready to ride. No worries about your ECU getting lost or damaged in the mail and any tuning changes or software updates are emailed to you directly so you can load to your handheld. The handheld means your bike will never be down.

STORE MULTIPLE MAPS

When you send in your ECU, you only get one map. You might be thinking, "why would I need more than one map?". Storing multiple maps means you're able to flash for different fuels, settings or modifications. If you're a serious track competitor, we can work with you to get you different mapping for different tracks. If, for example, you add an exhaust to your stock bike, we can email you a file that takes the new exhaust into account with the changes you need to optimize your bike's new modifications.

GO BACK TO STOCK ANYTIME

Dealer visits and selling your motorcycle made easy. If tuning is done on your ECU and you need to take your bike to the dealer for a warranty issue, software updates or regular maintenance, you'll need to get your ECU back to stock or there's a possibility the dealer will be able to see the aftermarket tuning and possibly void your warranty. The other issue is if you bring your bike to the dealer for anything in the service department, the first thing they will do is plug your motorcycle into their diagnostic computer and check for software updates. If any updates are present, they will update your bike. This is how every service visit is done. These updates may improve the rideability of your bike, fix possible software glitches, or even add features the bike didn't have before. What happens when the dealer updates the software? Your custom tuning is gone and you'll need to send your ECU back to your tuner to get flashed again. This means your bike is down for more time and your tuner will probably charge for the service of updating the software (assuming they have a matching software version for tuning, as many don't). The problem with this is the software is now new, your tuner has no idea how it works, and your previous tune changes may not apply. It’s got to be done all over again. Additionally, troubleshooting the stock map against the tuned map will provide clear data whether it’s a mechanical issue with the bike or something tuning related. With an ECU mail in, this would be much more difficult and require multiple back and forth’s.

READ AND CLEAR ENGINE CODES

If your bike has error messages or check engine lights, our handheld will tell you what codes the bike is displaying and you can easily determine what your motorcycle's issue is. Once the issue is corrected, you can clear the errors with the handheld like nothing happened. If this occurs with a mail-in flash you'll have to go to your tuner to have them figure out what the issue is then go to the dealer to clear these codes.

SINGLE FLASH AND YOU'RE DONE

Through years of research, testing and customer interactions, we have developed our flashes to be so precise that no additional tuning is needed. For example, our 10-19 BMW S1000RR tuning is 98% of your engines full potential, in all aspects. Our 2020+ BMW S1000RR is so advanced it's 100% of your engines full potential. What does all this mean? One flash and your bike is ready for the road. This is much better than tuning your bike at a local shop and having them flash your bike 20 times. Why does that matter? BMW diagnostic software has a flash counter. This means they can determine how many times your ECU has been flashed. If they see it above 10, they usually investigate why it's so high. This counter is something other shops CANNOT reset.

BMW UPDATES

This is huge! There are updates every month, 3 of them. This will wipe your bench tune, and downtime of getting the bike apart. Then the logic of ECU has changed! The tune you just got “dyno tuned” by a Woolich dealer, is now not meshing with the new logic and needs to be re-dyno tuned again. We carefully have compiled our databank and have every original factory file (over 300!) which we have tuned and developed each one on our in house test bikes to assure compatibility of all as they come out. So the customer has a proven tested solution to load into the bike. In the cases of a “bench” flasher, you will be paying them each time for this service and your bike will be a test subject for new tuning. We can handle updates same day in some cases.

SERVICE VISITS MADE EASY

Need to take your bike to a service dealer? You'll have to flash it back to stock. If you don't have a handheld it means you'll have to mail your ECU back to your tuner so they can put it back to stock. Then mail it back to your tuner after you visit the dealer and have them flash it again. This needs to happen every single time you visit the dealer to ensure your warranty stays intact. What happens if the dealer updates your bike while it's flashed? It will erase the aftermarket flash and you'll have to start the tuning process all over again with your tuner. We built our solution to fix this problem.

Reactions: Pipes1021

·
Registered
477 Posts
WHY DID WE DECIDE TO USE A HANDHELD AS A PREFERRED METHOD
OF FLASHING OVER MAILING IN YOUR ECU?

NO DOWNTIME

Handheld tuners eliminate the need to remove your ECU and mail it back and forth to your tuner for changes or software updates. This could leave your bike inoperable for at least a week or so. Our handheld tuner means you'll never have issues with your bike being inoperable. Your ECU stays in the bike, even during the tuning process with us, and your bike is always ready to ride. No worries about your ECU getting lost or damaged in the mail and any tuning changes or software updates are emailed to you directly so you can load to your handheld. The handheld means your bike will never be down.

STORE MULTIPLE MAPS

When you send in your ECU, you only get one map. You might be thinking, "why would I need more than one map?". Storing multiple maps means you're able to flash for different fuels, settings or modifications. If you're a serious track competitor, we can work with you to get you different mapping for different tracks. If, for example, you add an exhaust to your stock bike, we can email you a file that takes the new exhaust into account with the changes you need to optimize your bike's new modifications.

GO BACK TO STOCK ANYTIME

Dealer visits and selling your motorcycle made easy. If tuning is done on your ECU and you need to take your bike to the dealer for a warranty issue, software updates or regular maintenance, you'll need to get your ECU back to stock or there's a possibility the dealer will be able to see the aftermarket tuning and possibly void your warranty. The other issue is if you bring your bike to the dealer for anything in the service department, the first thing they will do is plug your motorcycle into their diagnostic computer and check for software updates. If any updates are present, they will update your bike. This is how every service visit is done. These updates may improve the rideability of your bike, fix possible software glitches, or even add features the bike didn't have before. What happens when the dealer updates the software? Your custom tuning is gone and you'll need to send your ECU back to your tuner to get flashed again. This means your bike is down for more time and your tuner will probably charge for the service of updating the software (assuming they have a matching software version for tuning, as many don't). The problem with this is the software is now new, your tuner has no idea how it works, and your previous tune changes may not apply. It’s got to be done all over again. Additionally, troubleshooting the stock map against the tuned map will provide clear data whether it’s a mechanical issue with the bike or something tuning related. With an ECU mail in, this would be much more difficult and require multiple back and forth’s.

READ AND CLEAR ENGINE CODES

If your bike has error messages or check engine lights, our handheld will tell you what codes the bike is displaying and you can easily determine what your motorcycle's issue is. Once the issue is corrected, you can clear the errors with the handheld like nothing happened. If this occurs with a mail-in flash you'll have to go to your tuner to have them figure out what the issue is then go to the dealer to clear these codes.

SINGLE FLASH AND YOU'RE DONE

Through years of research, testing and customer interactions, we have developed our flashes to be so precise that no additional tuning is needed. For example, our 10-19 BMW S1000RR tuning is 98% of your engines full potential, in all aspects. Our 2020+ BMW S1000RR is so advanced it's 100% of your engines full potential. What does all this mean? One flash and your bike is ready for the road. This is much better than tuning your bike at a local shop and having them flash your bike 20 times. Why does that matter? BMW diagnostic software has a flash counter. This means they can determine how many times your ECU has been flashed. If they see it above 10, they usually investigate why it's so high. This counter is something other shops CANNOT reset.

BMW UPDATES

This is huge! There are updates every month, 3 of them. This will wipe your bench tune, and downtime of getting the bike apart. Then the logic of ECU has changed! The tune you just got “dyno tuned” by a Woolich dealer, is now not meshing with the new logic and needs to be re-dyno tuned again. We carefully have compiled our databank and have every original factory file (over 300!) which we have tuned and developed each one on our in house test bikes to assure compatibility of all as they come out. So the customer has a proven tested solution to load into the bike. In the cases of a “bench” flasher, you will be paying them each time for this service and your bike will be a test subject for new tuning. We can handle updates same day in some cases.

SERVICE VISITS MADE EASY

Need to take your bike to a service dealer? You'll have to flash it back to stock. If you don't have a handheld it means you'll have to mail your ECU back to your tuner so they can put it back to stock. Then mail it back to your tuner after you visit the dealer and have them flash it again. This needs to happen every single time you visit the dealer to ensure your warranty stays intact. What happens if the dealer updates your bike while it's flashed? It will erase the aftermarket flash and you'll have to start the tuning process all over again with your tuner. We built our solution to fix this problem.
Thanks for the great info. In regards to the oil service light to turn off and to set the miles ect is this possible with your handheld device? If this is not possible is there a way it could be for extra money? Or do we have to just get a gs-911? If we have to use a gs-911 to turn off the oil change light do we have to flash it back to stock even though this will be done at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great info. In regards to the oil service light to turn off and to set the miles ect is this possible with your handheld device? If this is not possible is there a way it could be for extra money? Or do we have to just get a gs-911? If we have to use a gs-911 to turn off the oil change light do we have to flash it back to stock even though this will be done at home?

As of now the GS-911 is the best way to reset service lights. The handheld can read and clear engine codes but cannot clear service lights.

·
Registered
477 Posts
So what happens if you flash it and the dealer updates software?
You are supposed to flash it back to stock before doing any service updates. The dealer will automatically update it anytime the bike is there unless you tell them not to. My dealer knows I have a tune and even so I still put 3 pieces of paper saying do not update software tft or brake light and make sure they know not update. One on tank. One on back seat and one under back seat. You will need a gs-911 currently to turn off your service oil light if you have a tune as you don’t want the dealer to plug anything into there. If you don’t I believe you have to pay a decent amount to get it working again vs the small amount of flashing again for the software update

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are supposed to flash it back to stock before doing any service updates. The dealer will automatically update it anytime the bike is there unless you tell them not to. My dealer knows I have a tune and even so I still put 3 pieces of paper saying do not update software tft or brake light and make sure they know not update. One on tank. One on back seat and one under back seat. You will need a gs-911 currently to turn off your service oil light if you have a tune as you don’t want the dealer to plug anything into there. If you don’t I believe you have to pay a decent amount to get it working again vs the small amount of flashing again for the software update

Correct, if dealer updates anyway and you flashed back to stock it's a $100 fee to redo the file and email to you. The new file will work with your new software version. The fee is just the time it takes us to make the new file for your bike.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Correct, if dealer updates anyway and you flashed back to stock it's a $100 fee to redo the file and email to you. The new file will work with your new software version. The fee is just the time it takes us to make the new file for your bike.
If you flash the the ECU back to your "original" file before service. Then the dealer updates the software. Are there any issue flashing the ECU with one of your mapped files over the dealer updated file?

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you flash the the ECU back to your "original" file before service. Then the dealer updates the software. Are there any issue flashing the ECU with one of your mapped files over the dealer updated file?
As of now if the dealer updates the software we will need to modify your mapping to make it work with the new software.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Is it a problem if dealer resets service lights while you have a ECU flash?
That’s a good question. I think it might because anytime they hook it up Bmw updates the software I believe but Bren can answer that one.

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, service light reset is independent from a software update

Reactions: Ravenbravo

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
The answer is 100% yes, it is a big problem for the dealer to even be asked to reset a service reminder. The dealer will use ISTA to reset service parameters and once ISTA access the ECU it downloads a small piece of the ECU coding into the dealer hard drive. It is saved there. If you happen to blow an engine and you go back to that BMW dealer for evaluation even with a Stock ECU coded now, BMWAG will catch the code from the previous visit off the hard drive and see that it was a modified ECU. If you want to research what I am saying it is called a JSON file. Very widely used method of saving data and matching it in a database.

Even if your dealer is this all cool guy that says flash is ok by him, its not him ( whomever you deal with ) that approves major work on warranty. Its BMWAG.

No, service light reset is independent from a software update
As you can see this is 100% wrong Troy. ISTA is what is used to reset the service reminders. While it is an ABL that is in a different tab location of the Software Update tab, if you watch ISTA while loading you will see an ABL that runs called "background checks in progress" . That cannot be disabled by the dealer.

Reactions: smash adams

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The answer is 100% yes, it is a big problem for the dealer to even be asked to reset a service reminder. The dealer will use ISTA to reset service parameters and once ISTA access the ECU it downloads a small piece of the ECU coding into the dealer hard drive. It is saved there. If you happen to blow an engine and you go back to that BMW dealer for evaluation even with a Stock ECU coded now, BMWAG will catch the code from the previous visit off the hard drive and see that it was a modified ECU. If you want to research what I am saying it is called a JSON file. Very widely used method of saving data and matching it in a database.

Even if your dealer is this all cool guy that says flash is ok by him, its not him ( whomever you deal with ) that approves major work on warranty. Its BMWAG.

As you can see this is 100% wrong Troy. ISTA is what is used to reset the service reminders. While it is an ABL that is in a different tab location of the Software Update tab, if you watch ISTA while loading you will see an ABL that runs called "background checks in progress" . That cannot be disabled by the dealer.
Floyd/Lloyd, been doing this for years and i'm 100% correct. Just did this to 4 bikes last month. Service reminder is reset and no issue with calibration. You might want to check your sources on this info, or just try it yourself. If you have, you would know what I'm saying is correct. What you're talking about is a software update AND a service reminder reset. Apples and oranges.

Reactions: Kiev1981

·
Registered
176 Posts
Floyd/Lloyd, been doing this for years and i'm 100% correct. Just did this to 4 bikes last month. Service reminder is reset and no issue with calibration. You might want to check your sources on this info, or just try it yourself. If you have, you would know what I'm saying is correct. What you're talking about is a software update AND a service reminder reset. Apples and oranges.
good to know, cause I do my own maintenance but have the dealer reset the service light and didnt know if it updates the software automatically.
Is it required to flash the ECU back to stock when u bring it to a dealer for service light reset?

Thnx

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good to know, cause I do my own maintenance but have the dealer reset the service light and didnt know if it updates the software automatically.
Is it required to flash the ECU back to stock when u bring it to a dealer for service light reset?

Thnx
You'll have to stipulate to the dealer NOT to have the software updated when the service reminder is reset. They usually just do it anyway. Make sure you chat with the service manager to ensure this doesn't happen. We know many service managers at BMW and never had an issue this way.

Reactions: Kiev1981

·
Registered
176 Posts
You'll have to stipulate to the dealer NOT to have the software updated when the service reminder is reset. They usually just do it anyway. Make sure you chat with the service manager to ensure this doesn't happen. We know many service managers at BMW and never had an issue this way.
Thanks 👌🏽👌🏽 Stage 1 here I come :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
So it sounds like the GS911 is a must need
In my opinion, a GS-911 is a must regardless of whether you are getting a tune and whether you go to the dealer for maintenance. It is a great tool to help you get more familiar with your bike, and should be factored in the purchase cost. It is just too bad that tuning and diagnostic tools for the BMW are so much more expensive than those for, say, Aprilia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts