BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
My mate just traded his rsv4 for an R1M. Says he wouldn't have an S1000rr because it has no soul. I think if you brought a base RR and put ohlins gear in it instead of the DDC it would probably be just as good on track as anything. Well it actually is better then everything. We won superstock 1000 4 or 5 years since the bike was made. The R1 is yet to win.
EXACTLY! So much for that "The R1 is a better trackbike!" bullshit. And the Superstock and IOM Superstock results are more indicative of real-world mods and stock-ish bikes, not gazillion-dollar factory specials. And as far as lacking a "soul", I say bullshit to that to. It doesn't have to be cantankerous and painful to ride to have a "soul". One trip to redline even with a stock pipe, to hear that scream, gets me every time. To me, my 'RR is my most trusted companion, as fast, flickable and stable as I'll ever need, and as yet as reliable as I'd ever want (unlike the Italian bikes).

If I had my choice of a racebike, I'd get a base 'RR, get the lightest wheels, and the best Ohlins and brembo gear I could afford. Done. For the street, I love my DDC, especially for long trips (did 420 miles on my trip last Thursday, and another 350 this Tuesday). Try THAT on a Panigale or RSV4...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Tahoe: Here is the most recent comparison that I watched this morning. Courtesy of OC. ;)

You're welcome.
Interesting. I've heard good things about the RSV4's handling, even if it's heavier than most of the others. I didn't get to ride one, but just sitting on the ape wasn't as comfortable to me as the BMW, and a lot of other tests ranked the BMW as the most comfortable, especially on long rides. Plus, a real cruise control and heated grips? for the kind of riding I do (420 miles last Thursday and another 350 this tuesday with the heated grips on at up to 12,200ft), I'd take the BMW any day and twice on Sundays. Oh, and being able to easily switch from full soft (-7) on the DDC to 0 in USER mode, that's just icing on the cake. Oh, and that ridiculous passenger "seat" on the ape? Ahhh, no. No passenger would ride that and no way to mount the panniers I plan on mounting to the BMW.

What surprises me most is that the ape made 3 more hp, and the '17 BMW didn't even make 180hp on the dyno! Man, am I glad I got a '15 where the tests all had the BMW making around 184hp, and the ape making 177 or so.

As always, buy whatcha like.... ;)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Agree with this, once DDC is dialed in, it is awesome. Personally, I am running CCS race and track days with DDC and I have no issues with it at all. I have also ran a full ohlins suspension on 2010, there is a little better feel on front end coming into the turn, but other than that, DDC is pretty good
+1

At 6'1" and 225lbs in street clothes, I'd really love to have a knowledgeable DDC guy help me set sag and get the bike set up for me. As it is, I simply ride it and love it so far. One day I hope to get the 2D sensor, although I'm sketched about some of the reliability issues I've seen. It looks pretty expensive and kinda cheaply made. I'm sure I could source a better one from an automation controls company, but connecting it and getting the signal right would be a task....

·
Registered
240 Posts
i have a 15 S1000RR and 15 RSV4RR. i love them both and had the S1000RR 6 months longer. ive done 17000km's on the S1000RR and 8000km's on the RSV4. Why?, the BMW is much easier to ride, more comfortable and has better features. I call the RSV4 the angry one. It is a joy to ride and has a more aggressive ride position. The seat is harder, the suspension is stiffer and the gearing, even with a tooth drop on the rear sprocket, makes it a little clunky in lower revs for city / commuting type riding. It loves to wheelie and despite the vast difference in tech in the rain modes between the two, i actually feel better riding in the rain on the Aprilia. (i run supercorsas on both). The Aprilia is a bit annoying when changing the Wheelie control and ABS set up as it cannot be done on the fly like the BM. You can change modes on the fly though, but the ABS and wheelie set ups are done within the settings, so if you suddenly feel the need to pull a wheelie, you have to stop the bike, turn off the engine and go through the menu.
i have a race ECU and Arrow GP slip on and the sound is incredible. on the fast twisties, i feel the Aprilia turns better and is better at higher RPMS and is punchier getting on the gas coming out of corners, but the S1000RR down shift, just gives it the edge dropping gears into corners and is quicker off the mark or at lower rpm's.
No big difference in the brakes.
I generally take the S1000RR to the twistie roads as i live an hours ride from anywhere fun and the extra comfort for the longer rides and cruise control make the BMW the obvious choice when deciding which one to take. Based on the KM's, i commute and ride the twisties on the BM but and the Aprilia gets a run once or twice a week just because it is so awesome.If i had to give one up, it would be the Aprilia.

·
Registered
529 Posts
EXACTLY! So much for that "The R1 is a better trackbike!" bullshit. And the Superstock and IOM Superstock results are more indicative of real-world mods and stock-ish bikes, not gazillion-dollar factory specials. And as far as lacking a "soul", I say bullshit to that to. It doesn't have to be cantankerous and painful to ride to have a "soul". One trip to redline even with a stock pipe, to hear that scream, gets me every time. To me, my 'RR is my most trusted companion, as fast, flickable and stable as I'll ever need, and as yet as reliable as I'd ever want (unlike the Italian bikes).

If I had my choice of a racebike, I'd get a base 'RR, get the lightest wheels, and the best Ohlins and brembo gear I could afford. Done. For the street, I love my DDC, especially for long trips (did 420 miles on my trip last Thursday, and another 350 this Tuesday). Try THAT on a Panigale or RSV4...

Yea superstock 1000 has to use the frame, motor and swingarm from factory so if you've got the money for suspension and testing you can have an identical bike.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
+1

At 6'1" and 225lbs in street clothes, I'd really love to have a knowledgeable DDC guy help me set sag and get the bike set up for me. As it is, I simply ride it and love it so far. One day I hope to get the 2D sensor, although I'm sketched about some of the reliability issues I've seen. It looks pretty expensive and kinda cheaply made. I'm sure I could source a better one from an automation controls company, but connecting it and getting the signal right would be a task....

I'm about the same mate. Setting up the DDC is really easy. I put it off for way to long. From memory I was about 5 turns in from full out as per BMW setup procedure. If I'm pushing real hard I can still get the front near the bump stop. I just up the dampening +2 for that on the fly. Rear needed bugger all. Like 2 turns

·
Registered
407 Posts
One of the guys I ride with at the track showed up one day with his Motool digital sag scale. We knocked out all the settings in under 10 minutes. It was pretty cool how easy it made the process.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts