BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who's competitively racing their K67? How has the motor and transmission held up through a full season? The only people I see competitively racing or riding them have had issues with the motor and/or transmission already in one season. Including myself.
I'm on the fence about going back to Kawi bc I've seen a lot of stories (at least too many for my liking) of K67s blowing up or not lasting a full season and I want to save myself a 11k headache down the road if the bike is proven to not be reliable. The contigency is nice, but won't be worth it if my motor blows up in a year or 2.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
What class / club are you racing with mate ?

I didn't race it this year but planning next.

Otherwise lots of people race them in BSB STK, in fact Chrissie Rouse won it this year on BMW.

Pretty much every BMW entry is K67.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What class / club are you racing with mate ?

I didn't race it this year but planning next.

Otherwise lots of people race them in BSB STK, in fact Chrissie Rouse won it this year on BMW.

Pretty much every BMW entry is K67.

Superstock classes. There isn't anyone in my local club racing one. The two guys who have one who race locally (one of the fastest guys in the club and me), have had issues all year with them. There was only one guy I saw who's racing a k67 model one in our top series in the US and he had issues with his. I'm wondering if those racers in BSB had extra motors as well? That's not a club friendly option with motors being $10k.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Superstock classes. There isn't anyone in my local club racing one. The two guys who have one who race locally (one of the fastest guys in the club and me), have had issues all year with them. There was only one guy I saw who's racing a k67 model one in our top series in the US and he had issues with his. I'm wondering if those racers in BSB had extra motors as well? That's not a club friendly option with motors being $10k.
You are allowed to change engines like for like if one blows up.

·
4,891 Posts
Some of my friends are racing them in WERA/CCS.

One had throttle grip sensor issue. Most of them had the coil issues, one had an engine issue (one cyl losing compression), two have the harness rubbing on frame issue.
I opted to race/track a 2020 GSXR 1000 instead. The K67 was a close second choice.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Some of my friends are racing them in WERA/CCS.

One had throttle grip sensor issue. Most of them had the coil issues, one had an engine issue (one cyl losing compression), two have the harness rubbing on frame issue.
I opted to race/track a 2020 GSXR 1000 instead. The K67 was a close second choice.
Yeah you and your random $$$ numbers, not really worth a read

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't race but I do 25 track days a year in the fast group. It's been great apart from the coil that went.

·
4,891 Posts
@bmwbadboy No need to make a fool of yourself again. Some of these issues happened right next to me at the race track (VIR). Plus how many of these issues are reported on this forum

OP: My suggestion is to call some of the known race/tuner shops that build K67 for racers, great way to get objective feedback, and how to build the bike if you decide to race it. Whatever you do, only go with 2021+ model to have some of known issues/recalls fixed from factory.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@bmwbadboy No need to make a fool of yourself again. Some of these issues happened right next to me at the race track (VIR). Plus how many of these issues are reported on this forum

OP: My suggestion is to call some of the known race/tuner shops that build K67 for racers, great way to get objective feedback, and how to build the bike if you decide to race it. Whatever you do, only go with 2021+ model to have some of known issues/recalls fixed from factory.
I already have a fully built 2020 model. I just can't seem to get more the 3 consecutive trackdays without something messing up. I've tried to make 4 race weekends this year since building the bike and didn't make one race because my bike was in the shop.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm asking this question because I'm getting ready to rebuild the transmission at about 1600 miles, and I'm tempted to just race something else if it's going to be like this the whole time I have the bike.
BMW denied my warranty claim because of a quickshifter, so I'm left having to foot the bill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts