BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Who likes Twins?

5K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  corkgsxr 
#1 ·
HA HA made you look :)

Anyway ..love my 2017 RR... however still cant compare to low/mid range torque on my 2004 RC51.
Another thing... is soundtrack of V-Twin is just music.

#6 ·
I LOVE a nice pair of...errr....what were we talking about???

In the past I've ridden some (Ducati, aprilia), and can't say I like them compared to a screaming inline-4, BUT, I'll be getting a KTM 890 Adventure R in the next year or so, so, I guess I'd better learn to love them! I test rode the "S" model for a few miles months back on a street loop and really liked it, and thought it had plenty of power even with being RPM restricted. I though I could do some seriously long days on it easily, both on street and on dirt.

#7 ·
What is a good example of a modern mid size V-Twin? I have only tried the Ducati's, and they just didn't do it for me. My understanding is that most Ducati cylinders are over-squared so the power comes a bit later. In my experience, they were very lumpy below 6k. After that they performed very good, but with a limit of ~11k the RPM band is too narrow for me. I have tried the Ducatis (848, 937, 959) while owning a Street Triple and the S1000RR, which both have very broad and useful RPM ranges so the differences were very pronounced. I have heard many people say how they love the immediate torque of the twins, but I cannot say I see that in the Ducs.

If I were to buy a V-Twin for track, is there a current offering? Excluding the KTM 1290, which is too much for me.

#11 ·
Look into the KTM 890R, put some aftermarket fairings, would make a killer fun track bike if top speed and power are not expected. Light, plenty of torque.

Reactions: corkgsxr
#16 ·
having grown up on harleys and built choppers for a while, i always loved the sound of a twin. my first crotch rocket was a '00 aprilia mille vtwin, as i thought it'd be an easier transition. still torquey, still v2 sound. the sound of the i4 in the s1k almost pushed me to buying the aprilia rsv4 in '10, but the bmw was just too good of a bike. now i've got an rf1100 and the s1k, and i love the bmw, but it will just never sound like the v4 even of my ape.

i still have the last chopper i built for my v2 sound fix when i need it too :)

my buddy still has an rc51 in his garage. bought it for all the history of it, enjoyed it up in NC mts, but hasn't even ridden it in 2 years since buying his duc multistrada, also a twin.

#17 ·
I had a 06 RC51 a few years ago that was stolen. I'd do anything to get it back. Absolutely love them and always got compliments for the exhaust tone

#26 ·
I got a V- twin....kinda.... my best friend got a V2 and he keeps it in my garage. I got the green light to take it whenever lol so I guess I got a V2 hahaha
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

Reactions: Elk
#28 ·
Late to the party but I’ve got to throw the Buell in here. The 1125 and 1190 vtwin Rotax ones not the HD vtwins. The 72* Rotax is a very formidable engine. Tons of torque and a very broad powerband.

The 1125 had a design flaw it the stator that didn’t allow enough cooling and led to charging issues. It was overcome by drilling a hole or in some instances many holes it the stator and that solved the issue. Unfortunately by the time the fix was in they had a bad rap.
The 1190’s were essentially bullet proof. A bad business deal led to the downfall of the 1190. They are still being made under the name Buell by the company that bought what was left after Erik Buell Racing shut down.
I still have my 2009 Buell 1125cr. It’s an incredible machine and I urge anyone that has the opportunity to ride one to jump on it. Im sure you will be surprised. I also have an Aprilia and it is equally as nice. Having said all that I have deeply regretted selling my S1K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.