BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
7,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looks like theres folks firmly on both sides of the fence.

The devide seems to be riders that don't leave their high beams on reside in areas where this practice isn't condoned by the authorities as is the case in CA!

·
Registered
257 Posts
No. I'm in the middle. As I said, two of my bikes, I run high beams all the time. My RR, I only run the low beams unless I really need to see further down the road at night. The low beams with the RR are sufficient for me to use most of the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would never run with mine on all the time. Sounds like a great way to blind the people you are trying to be seen by. My philosophy is to never rely on being seen if I can position myself where I don't need to be seen. Same goes with noise - "loud pipes save lives" is for people who drive slow bikes slowly.

Sometimes I'll flash the brights if I see someone up ahead that might pull out in front of me, but again, my strategy is to avoid needing to be seen altogether. Doesn't matter what the laws are or who has the right of way or whatever. Ride like your're invisible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
High beams all the time for me except at night! When I ride with people using there low beams behind me Its hard to see them. Never been blinded by a vehicles lights during the daytime ever!

·
Premium Member
January 2022 BOTM Winner
688 Posts
It depends on how aggressive I'm riding and the flow of traffic. I try to not blind people unnecessarily, but if there's enough of a cluster of cars, on for sure. On streets where there could be an oncoming car making a left, and spotty traffic going the same direction as me, OFF so that it's not harder for them to gauge distance and speed.

I never ride in the middle of a lane and in heavy traffic 'wiggle' so that my headlights will make me more likely visible in rear view mirrors. I also never ride perfectly straight. I alternate between left and right side of a lane, to keep jackoffs from deciding to merge next to me and expecting me to read their mind when they're in my blindspot. I think that's more significant than high beams on/off.

·
Administrator
7,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I never ride in the middle of a lane and in heavy traffic 'wiggle' so that my headlights will make me more likely visible in rear view mirrors. I also never ride perfectly straight.
You just can't leave everyone in suspense without clarifying this part?

·
Registered
925 Posts
It annoys me when oncoming riders use high beams, but I get it - they definitely are more visible in traffic. I don't do it myself, but I don't commute on my bike and ride in rural areas away from cars. I do hate it when riders use modulated headlights that pulse/almost flash.

·
Premium Member
January 2022 BOTM Winner
688 Posts
You just can't leave everyone in suspense without clarifying this part?
you know when you're splitting lanes in slow, tight traffic, and pull the bars from side to side? 70% that and 30% doing that 'brushing the dust off the side of the tires' or 'warming up the tires' weaving inside a lane.

·
Administrator
7,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
you know when you're splitting lanes in slow, tight traffic, and pull the bars from side to side? 70% that and 30% doing that 'brushing the dust off the side of the tires' or 'warming up the tires' weaving inside a lane.
Yes yes, we've all been there:)

·
Premium Member
January 2022 BOTM Winner
688 Posts
My point is that i ride like a drunk tweaker as far as cagers go to keep THEM on their toes. I think that does more to keep them conscious to share the road than high beams, which makes many more aggressive and/or triggered.

·
Administrator
7,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I see where some of the confusion stems from & maybe it's my fault for not clarifying it.
As previously mentioned in CA most all motorcycles leave their high beams on including all motorcycle cops in addition to their daytime driving lights if they have them so people here aren't as infuriated by them as in other parts of the US / world. No laws that I'm aware of are being broken & neither myself or anyone I've heard of have been ever pulled over for having high beams on.

The bikes that really stand out here are the ADV types with high beams & yellow / clear off road lights on.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts