BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
Never have the high side beams on. Not even sure they work.

I guess if I was thinking about all the bikes in a group ride behind me since I am lead most all the time, I would say the headlights are on low beam too. In Texas you might get shot at if you ride up on some people with the high beams glaring and blazing.

Reactions: Topaz and S1KRRRR

·
Registered
249 Posts
Don’t run high beams since my LED low beam is very visible daytime.

I kinda think if you blind someone with your high beams there looking away to avoid the light whereas a good LED low beam you and the bike can be seen and the car driver can focus on you Instead of blinding them!
That’s only in theory, car drivers are unfocused and mostly clueless, after there phone and music your in last place to be seen. Can’t rely on headlights to be seen, just ride defensive all the time.

·
Administrator
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surprised at your responses.
Moreover in SoCal in addition to the high beams bikes with Auxiliary lighting also turn thoes on.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've put driving lights on my bike just to increase road presence and hopefully visibility. No way I'd ride with high beams on and risk pissing off some tweaking cager.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
101 Posts
Like you, I exclusively ride with them on, I think the statistic is/was that a bike in day time is twice as likely to be seen if they have their high beams on. I'll take it. That being said, I do have a heart and switch them off if it's pitch black outside and I'm stuck behind someone or coming up on someone going the opposite direction. Otherwise, they are always on.

·
9,245 Posts
If you have to rely on high beam or a loud exhaust to be noticed you are doing it wrong.

Bike position within a lane, anticipating other drivers, and awareness are way more important. I have seen riders with highviz jackets, bright lights, etc... still get taken out, dragonfly effect, distracted drivers won't notice your highbeams lol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Depends on the bike. My ZX-10R only has one of the headlights functional for low beam. Activating high beam turns on the left headlight. So I use high beams all the time with this bike. Also, the bike uses halogen bulbs which I'm thinking about swapping out with a set of LEDs or HIDs. High beams on this bike isn't really all that much.

My sold Ducati 848 is the same as my ZX-10R. But with projector type headlights but still using halogen bulbs. So high beams on all the time. It's better than my 10R but still not great.

My new 22 RR. I only use low beams with this bike. The LED headlights are more than sufficient for me to see at night.

I'm pretty sure my C650 Sport is the same as the 10R and 848 with only one headlight active. So I use high beams on this bike all the time too. But whatever BMW did with the headlight/reflector design, the headlights on the C650 are actually pretty good considering it uses halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not relying on it by any means. I just ride way faster than I should sometimes, so if the high beam helps my speeding ass be seen even in the slightest, again, I'll take it. In strict regards to just being seen, (aside from the other appealing factors) I would never choose a stock exhaust s1000rr with low beams over a full system s1000rr and the high beams. That's just ignorant and stupid... but yes, riding style makes the most difference; and I've always said that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Which is exactly what 'should' make someone stop and think twice about pulling out in front of the bright object. Regardless of whether or not that works, high beams are literally advised to be used during the daytime here in the CA DMV motorcycle handbook. And at night, yes, they can definitely have their limitations/hindrances, but when used properly, still offer plenty of advantages. To each their own, but I will always continue to be one of those riders Sal was referring to. It has done nothing but serve me well.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's like the 2nd Amendment...of a bygone era and needs to be changed as it's outdated. With DRL's and LED/Laser dipped lights there's simply no need, and it just p155es people off.

·
Registered
2020 BMW S1000 RR
13 Posts
Here’s a reason not to leave your high beams on.

IMO the low beams are bright enough. Your choice though.

·
Administrator
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been thinking about this for some time & this seems a perfect time to rig up a camera of my daily commute with high beams for your gents viewing pleasure.
I have the camera but missing the charger I think lol.. so please be patient :)

I purchased these lights with yellow lenses when i was frequenting a different route. About 40 miles each way of 70mph of no street lighting, all kinds of critters like coyotes crossing the road, trains with no railway crossing as crazy as it sounds, heavy fog / rain etc...etc.... i dont take that route any longer but my current daily commute does include about 20 miles daily of no speed limits canyon roads with 12 or so blind turns so im putting them on. Have to find the best way to install them as the manufacturer dosen't offer any options. They did say that there is no way id outrun these lights! Going on a 08 K1200s.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle White

1 - 20 of 32 Posts