BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I find myself in a situation where I'm going to be commuting via bike instead of cage through much of Seattle's winter season. Nothing approaching freezing (I hope) but likely quite a bit of rain and low 40/upper 30 degree temps, and about a 30 mile round trip.

Have been using a Spidi H2Out NT over the years but I managed to misplace the thermal liner. I've already shopped around for a replacement liner but it's a 15-year old design and nobody sells them.

I could just layer, but now seems like a good time to shop for a new jacket. Anyone have any specific recommendations?

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Have you considered an electric liner? I love using mine for anything below about 50 degrees.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I use a Revit Everest GTX jacket, which I think has been replaced with the Neptune GTX. I usually switch from my A* leather jacket when the temp gets below 50. Wore the Revit jacket for the first time (this season) today and it was great in the morning, but a bit toasty on the way home. Never leaks and keeps me warm with just a short sleeve shirt underneath until the temp gets to about 30 and I stop riding anyway.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The heated liner is a good suggestion. My only apprehension is being connected to the bike. Maybe it's unfounded.

The two jackets I've been eyeing are the REV'IT! Sand 2 and Spidi Marathon H2OUT (in black/red/white, which seems to be OOS in XL everywhere).

Neptune GTX looks nice, though I'll need to skip lunch for a while to afford it. (Need to balance the jacket cost with adding $700 heated grips on to my '12 RR that didn't come with them).

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Glyde by Gerbing

Why not buy the Glyde gloves, jacket, and pants? You can heat your whole body for about the same price as the heated grips which only heat the palm of you hands

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
The heated liner is a good suggestion. My only apprehension is being connected to the bike.
If you are thinking the thin connecting wire will hold you on the bike or pull the bike after you if you go down, there is nothing to worry about.

Not only are the connectors easy to pull apart, the wires are too thin to create a problem.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Heated liners are great, their connectors are all pull apart and do so very easily so absolutely nothing to worry about in regards to safety. Gerbing makes some nice heated gear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll reiterate the advice for a heated liner. I rarely use the liners that come with jackets any more. I always just use the heated liner, even if I'm not to plug it in. This way, if I get cold, it's an easy process to grab the cord and plug in.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are thinking the thin connecting wire will hold you on the bike or pull the bike after you if you go down, there is nothing to worry about.

Not only are the connectors easy to pull apart, the wires are too thin to create a problem.
I was worried about breaking the connectors or the attachment points on the garment when getting off the bike. Sounds like this is a non-issue?

I'll check out some of the Glyde and Gerbing products.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I wear Carhartt coveralls with a neck wrap and some ice fishing mittens when the weather gets really cold. Then the only thing that's difficult to keep warm are my toes!

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I was worried about breaking the connectors or the attachment points on the garment when getting off the bike. Sounds like this is a non-issue?
Non issue for sure! The little coax connectors pull right apart. I've even forgot to unplug myself when getting off the bike and they just pop apart and don't hurt a thing! Waiting to do it someday with my airbag vest, that should be interesting! :grin2:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Can the 2015 s1000rr handle heated gear? I asked around and was told that we only have 40 watts of extra power in the system and that even a heated vest would be taxing on it.

If the bike can handle it ill be 1st in line to order some heated gear (socks, jacket, gloves) would like to be able to run pants as well. Jacket and gloves would be a must for me tho.

Im going this way or just get some good looking cold weather gear (the plastic adventure looking stuff).

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can the 2015 s1000rr handle heated gear? I asked around and was told that we only have 40 watts of extra power in the system and that even a heated vest would be taxing on it.

If the bike can handle it ill be 1st in line to order some heated gear (socks, jacket, gloves) would like to be able to run pants as well. Jacket and gloves would be a must for me tho.

Im going this way or just get some good looking cold weather gear (the plastic adventure looking stuff).
I went and wired up a relay directly to the battery that's switched off of the port on my 2012. I was planning for the day to come where I'd possibly decide on using heated gear.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Neptune GTX looks nice, though I'll need to skip lunch for a while to afford it. (Need to balance the jacket cost with adding $700 heated grips on to my '12 RR that didn't come with them).[/QUOTE]

Oxford heated handgrips are really good and don't cost much. Have had them on all my previous bikes

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After over-researching which jacket to buy, I decided to stop by my BMW dealer today on the way home. I tried on the REV'IT! Neptune GTX, Sand 2, Nautilus, BMW Rallye and GS Dry Jackets.

The Neptune GTX and BMW Rallye were both nice, with the BMW feeling like it was made a little better.

Best news is that after resigning that a new jacket was going to cost me upwards of $800, I found the thermal liner for my Spidi H2Out NT jacket! :grin2:

So, I think I'm going to see how it goes with my old jacket and a pair of Cortech Gore-Tex winter gloves.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I may still end up with a heated vest and gloves if the weather proves too brutal.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you thought about using a lightweight down jacket? I use a Mountain Hardwear ghost whisperer underneath. While its not cheap, it does an excellent job, plus you can wear it off the bike.

·
Premium Member
2017 S1000RR
252 Posts
I have Gerbing jacket liner and gloves. I have ridden in 2 degrees C...that's 35.6 F for you "mericans", and I had to turn it down as I was getting too hot...They work great. Good investment!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts