BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I had a right low-side 3 weeks ago on the street, about 40mph. I have the larger woodcraft slider "spools" in the rear which did a good job. Muffler took most of the beating. I'd second benny and say that you should get the rear axle sliders or at least the spools. If you go down on the left side without them, then there will be a lot of damage to your swing arm and maybe even the rim of your wheel. There is no muffler to protect anything.

I also have the woodcraft front axle sliders, but they were not installed because it requires the left pinch bolts to be removed (which then requires the ABS to be re-calibrated). However, even without them, nothing was damaged on the front wheel. The frame sliders and handlebar ends kept the ground away from everything. I will be installing mine soon because I can see that clearance between the wheel's side wall and the frame sliders is very small. If the bike had dug into the dirt then there would have been damage.

Get the GB engine covers over other brands (or any full covers). I use the sato covers which did a good job until hitting the grass. They are skeleton covers, and not full covers. My casings don't have any scratch, but they do have a few nicks from stones and debris that kicked up from the ground after sliding off the road into grass.

EDIT: I didn't notice the forum. I have an s1000rr, but damage prob would be similar on the single r.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Woodcraft all round on mine. Also being in Australia I fitted Oggy Knobs (the local version of frame sliders). I've had the opportunity to test both left and right side drops unfortunately, all this stuff has saved me thousands in panel and lever damage...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I see.. I think I've narrowed my choices down to the following protection gear:

Evotech oil/rad guard & frame sliders
Evotech or Rizoma front/rear axle sliders
Sato Racing carbon engine covers or Rizoma covers or GBR covers.

Too many choices!! Does my OCD-want-everything-the-one-brand head in!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have BMW axle sliders front and rear. Then GB engine covers, frame sliders and stand pickups.
Do you have the "Street" or "Race" (i.e. long or short) GB frame sliders? I want to get a GB protection set but I'm having trouble finding pictures of them fitted.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I also have the woodcraft front axle sliders, but they were not installed because it requires the left pinch bolts to be removed (which then requires the ABS to be re-calibrated).
No.
Nothing needs to be reset or re-calibrated. The clutch side/left spacer sits flush against the inside of the lower fork so as long as it is seated completely against the surface then everything will be fine.

Metal case guards are better than plastic. Even GB will admit to that which is why they only compare themselves "to other plastic guards" on the market.

I just had a left side low side at 95mph on the track. The woodcraft case puck saved my bike. I would not want plastic in place of aluminum as my bike skids across the pavement at nearly 100 mph. I only needed to replace the puck that you see in the picture. No damage to stock magnesium cover and the rest of the woodcraft cover was fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So gngsxr, you think gbr/rg covers aren't as good as the metal covers.. but what all the metal covers generally only cover the point prone to sliding, so if you hit a gravel trap or go off the road then the plastic protects the rest of the engine casing, no? Thats the main reason I'm considering sato racing carbon covers instead of rizoma metal covers

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Metal case guards are better than plastic. Even GB will admit to that which is why they only compare themselves "to other plastic guards" on the market.

I second that. After a gentle low side at about 60mph on the track, my GB case protector wore all the way through. Replaced with Woodcraft, hopefully will never test it out.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Are they long enough to protect the fairing or is it just for frame protection? Do you have a picture?
To expand on this, I have the woodcraft long sliders and fairings were still damaged. They didn't hit the ground, but the space is so small that all the dust/dirt/cinders that fly up from off the side of the pavement did damage. Other sliders are probably the same.

Also, I think the Sato Carbon case covers would have the best protection. They completely cover the cases, and if you notice, they also have replaceable puck where the case would impact the pavement. The others listed seem to have one of these protection options or the other, not both.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
So gngsxr, you think gbr/rg covers aren't as good as the metal covers.. but what all the metal covers generally only cover the point prone to sliding, so if you hit a gravel trap or go off the road then the plastic protects the rest of the engine casing, no? Thats the main reason I'm considering sato racing carbon covers instead of rizoma metal covers
I am not sure what you mean. With woodcraft case guards installed the rest of the stock engine case cover cannot contact the ground. If it did then your bike most likely hit the ground so hard that it is completely destroyed anyways.

If you are looking at carbon fiber or Rizoma case covers then honestly you aren't too concerned about legitimate protection but more so how good your bike looks which is totally fine. Either option is still more protection then nothing at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,235 Posts
I am not sure what you mean. With woodcraft case guards installed the rest of the stock engine case cover cannot contact the ground. If it did then your bike most likely hit the ground so hard that it is completely destroyed anyways.

If you are looking at carbon fiber or Rizoma case covers then honestly you aren't too concerned about legitimate protection but more so how good your bike looks which is totally fine. Either option is still more protection then nothing at all.
The first statement. He means it covers the whole case from any damage. Yes the lowest point will impact and slide on the road. But other stuff can scratch the case still. So a complete covering is often better than just one that protects point of impact.

Agree with the second statement. I have GB. Which cover nearly all of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have these I can't see any inferiority at all perfect fit and finish. Price is sure good.

Engine Case Stator Cover Guard Sliders Protector Fit 2009 2016 BMW S1000RR HP4 | eBay
Anyone else have these? Ebay and Amazon both sell them. If they do more damage than good, I'll pass, don't mind spending extra $$ for something better but I really like the Red Color 🙂
Never mind, I'll stick with GB. After reading all the post on Case Covers - I'll stick with Quality. Same reason I wear a Shoei Helmet and Alpinestars Perforated Leather Jacket and gear when riding around town.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts