BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I race in my local cup racing club. I use a small flag wood stick that I have carved some lines that I stick inside the fuel cap opening to measure. The stick for the most part would be wet where ever the fuel level would be.
I have found myself wondering if there is a better way to do this since I dont really know how much fuel Im really using with this method. Im only making sure I have fuel up to a line that I have notched wider. But again this is just me estimating based on notches I carved with no real knowledge of how much fuel is every notch.
What are you guys using?

·
Vendor
2,312 Posts
You have the right idea, just not the correct approach to be exact in how to do it.

the stick only need to touch the bottom of the tank exactly the same way every time you go to 'stick' the tank as we call it.

so to get the process exact, you need to start with an empty fuel tank. 3 ways of that. run the tank dry and be very close to your location you are working at. Or remove the tank and empty it out. This is really easy on the K67, not too bad on the K46. Or the 3rd way is to siphon the fuel out either with electric pump or suck on a hose and get that fuel out of there.

Lets say the fuel tank is now empty. You need to start with 1 gallon of fuel in fuel can. Pour that one gallon in the tank. Now you know you have 1 gallon exactly. Stick the tank and make a mark, that is your one gallon. Pour a second can of 1 gallon to the tank. Stick the tank, this is now your 2 gallon mark. Most short 8 lap sprint races can handle 2 gallons. How move on to pouring in a 3rd fuel can of fuel and make another mark for 3 gallons. If you want 2.5 then just end up between those 2 marks.

Now another way is to ask on this forum or facebook if anyone already has a marked stick measure for the K46 if that is what you have or the K67, because they are different.

As to what I am using? I use the miles on the cluster for miles to empty. I make sure I have at least 60 miles to empty before I start any 20 minute practice or race session. If that does not seem to be enough at that track and I come in at 8 miles left to go, I add fuel to 70 miles and try that. I like to end on 20 miles to empty just to be safe.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been meaning to do that, measure in gal with the tank out. I just have not had time to take the tank out and do a proper gal measure. Thank you for the tip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts