BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Looking into purchasing my first BMW bike. Particularly a 15-18 s1000rr. What are some things I can look for when buying a bike used from a private seller? Im not a new rider, so I know to check the chain, brakes, sprockets, all the normal maintenance things. But am not so knowledgeable on what to look for in the s1000. Please enlighten me. All feedback is welcomed and thanked.

Cheers!

·
Registered
208 Posts
since im new to the BMW as well I ask for any and all receipts for service work done. then I was able see what the previous owner did to the bike and if he did any of the mileage interval work to get an idea of what id have to do if I bought it and also if he took care of it or just thrashed it. lol. I probably got lucky as he had everything since brand new. dealer did everything for him. got mine for a track bike so wanted to try to get a solid one.

prolly not much help but one thing i did.

good luck!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
right on! yeah some of the services cost some cash so be nice to know if they did em. on mine the dealer changed some stuff they called an open campaign for like the turn signal switches etc all for no cost and a couple other things too on mine. my 12 was super clean so doubt it had a problem but was changed anyway. with that i could tell the previous owner didnt thrash it, he left that part for me. 😇 haha

if theres any mods id see if they are done right and nice if they're quality parts or not. 😎

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hell yea man! I appreciate it. I'll definitely check the record and see whats accounted for. He did mention all his services were done at a BMW dealer so I'm hoping for an extensive record.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sweet!! If not and your curious what some may have cost definitely feel free to message me. mines older but could be similar and i can let ya know what they did for a rough idea. 😎

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
sometimes its good to take a mate along who has no emotional attachment to the purchase, he can point out all the things which may be wrong about the bike that you miss...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sometimes its good to take a mate along who has no emotional attachment to the purchase, he can point out all the things which may be wrong about the bike that you miss...
I plan on having a busy come with me who knows more about BMW's, not the s series in particular though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nothing really out of the ordinary. Check for aftermarket bar ends, clutch/brake levers, fairings, clutch covers, etc. They may have been swapped out for legitimate reasons, or they were swapped to mask a sordid past. If it is coming up on 18,000 miles it should have had a valve inspection performed.
Don't discount performing a thorough inspection of the seller either. Do they seem trustworthy? Are they are telling you something that sounds too good to be true? (it always is) Are they in a rush to sell? Are they dodging questions, failing to behave in a truthful manner, or generally giving off sketchy vibes?
Obviously don't show up hell bent on bringing THAT specific bike home with you. There are always more and better options out there. If and when you find a good one, you will however be quite pleased!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing really out of the ordinary. Check for aftermarket bar ends, clutch/brake levers, fairings, clutch covers, etc. They may have been swapped out for legitimate reasons, or they were swapped to mask a sordid past. If it is coming up on 18,000 miles it should have had a valve inspection performed.
Don't discount performing a thorough inspection of the seller either. Do they seem trustworthy? Are they are telling you something that sounds too good to be true? (it always is) Are they in a rush to sell? Are they dodging questions, failing to behave in a truthful manner, or generally giving off sketchy vibes?
Obviously don't show up hell bent on bringing THAT specific bike home with you. There are always more and better options out there. If and when you find a good one, you will however be quite pleased!
That's some good info! Thanks a ton! I'm not set on purchasing one yet. I'm headed to take a look at it on Friday, after then I'll decide on it.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I'd request a dealer pre-sale inspection. Any time i've bought or sold used cars, i've always done or requested a pre-sale inspection by a local dealer. for $150 or whatever, they will be the pickiest inspector possible to find anything sketchy as they want to be paid to repair those things. it gives as sure of a sale as i found.

i thought about requesting one for my first aprilia years ago since sight unseen, but i didn't, and the engine sounded bad and threw a rod bearing on me. had to replace engine. lesson learned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts