BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new set of rubber and I am curious as to what you all think of the Dunlop Q3+ and the Q4.. I’m open to some other tire options as well. 2015 S1000RR.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've become addicted to the Q4, and it's an expensive addiction given their poor longevity. I love the stick and feel. I'm on my fourth set since November, though one was cut short by a nail in the rear. Mitigating the expense of the addiction is the special deal I get from CSS stemming from their Dunlop sponsorship/partnership.

More reasonable street tires include the Q3+ and Bridgestone S22.

·
4,642 Posts
Depends on what you want. I have used Q3+, Q4, S22, M7, M9.

If it's all street riding, my favorite combo now is a sticky front (DOT race like cup evo or Pirelli TD), and a long lasting rear like Road 5.
I just mounted M9, they grip well, but even with just 500 miles on them it's clear they will barely make it to 2k miles. That's on my MT10.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've become addicted to the Q4, and it's an expensive addiction given their poor longevity. I love the stick and feel. I'm on my fourth set since November, though one was cut short by a nail in the rear. Mitigating the expense of the addiction is the special deal I get from CSS stemming from their Dunlop sponsorship/partnership.

More reasonable street tires include the Q3+ and Bridgestone S22.
How well are the Q4s in the wet? Or damp roads? I don’t ride much in we weather but sometimes it is unavoidable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on what you want. I have used Q3+, Q4, S22, M7, M9.

If it's all street riding, my favorite combo now is a sticky front (DOT race like cup evo or Pirelli TD), and a long lasting rear like Road 5.
I just mounted M9, they grip well, but even with just 500 miles on them it's clear they will barely make it to 2k miles. That's on my MT10.
I really liked the S22 but I think I want to try out something different this go around. I ride this one on the street (aggressively) and I have another bike for the track.

·
Registered
392 Posts
How well are the Q4s in the wet? Or damp roads? I don’t ride much in we weather but sometimes it is unavoidable.
I never ride in the wet. I assume the Q4s are terrible. Their tread is minimal. They need to be hot for good grip, though they warm quickly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did a ton of research on tires over the winter and decided that my next set is going to be the Dunlop Q3+. My buddy with an R1 has them and he loves them. We went on a 4000km trip last year + a full season of riding and he still has them on right now. He's planning on changing them out before our trip in July this year, so probably almost 15,000kms on them before they're done. We ride pretty aggressively and he prefers riding on one wheel which is even harder on the tires.

I've got Metzler M7's right now and they are okay. In cold weather I don't trust them as much as the Pirelli Angel GT's I had on my previous R6. Once I can justify changing them out I'm going to the Q3+.

The Q4 is a cool tire, but much more focused on track riding. Shorter life and from what I found in my research they are not recommended if you're doing much riding in the rain (especially on the street).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree that the Q4 is a bit much for the street. I’m leaning towards The Q3+ But I have the forged wheels and I am being told that going with the 190/55 will require me to get the bike calibrated for the smaller tire.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm on my second set of Q3+. I like them a lot. Quick warm up in the dry and surprisingly good grip in the wet. I get about 2,000 miles out of a set. I ran Q2s and Q3s on my previous bike (TL1000R), and got 2,000 miles out of them too. Must be the way I ride.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've used a lot of Q2,Q3s etc and they worked good for me. Did try the Q4 on the track with no issues. Pretty dry here so not much experience with em in the wet. Didnt last long tho.

My new to me 12 i got this spring has an almost new set of S22`s on it. My first time with those and they feel good on the street. Bikes being setup for track only so if i dont abuse em with too many hard test rides ill try em on the track.:cool:

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have gone through maybe 4-5 sets of Q3+ in different bikes and its a great performing tire on the track and street, including pouring down rain trackdays with no TC. But out of those 4 sets 3 have exhibited major tire chunking in under 1000 miles.Ill see if i can find a picture, but Dunlop doesnt care, my local shop happily sold me another tire promising to get in touch with them and it hasn't happened, that was 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Has anyone ran the Michelin Power RS's?
I have close to 2500 miles on mine and I'm very impressed with them. Most of the milage on them has been in temps under 70 degree F. Not sure how they would last when it gets warmer out here but so far with the cooler weather in CT these tires warm up fast and they grip pretty well. I managed a 42 degree lean angle so far and average 35 degree angles. Keep in mind many of the back roads here are blind turns and no one knows how to drive. We also have a lot of wildlife that cross the roads. Haven't seen a cow crossing though.

·
4,642 Posts
Michelin power 5 I’m happy with them
How is their longevity and grip? Would you get 3500+ miles from them? The edges have grooves, which made me think they won't grip that much when leaned over.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts