BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first bike was a Harley Fatboy. If I wanted an exhaust change, I would just unbolt the system and button the new one up. I just traded my s1000r for a 2018 Multistrada 1260s, and I’m looking at the full Akrapovic system. I’ve been hearing something about needing to map or dyno the bike after the exhaust change. What is mapping?

·
Vendor
3,682 Posts
Just another term for flashing the ECU for performance and getting the most out of the modifications.

Tuned
Flashed
Coded
Re-Map

So many terms.

RCK3 / HP power maps are your best choice you could make.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
My first bike was a Harley Fatboy. If I wanted an exhaust change, I would just unbolt the system and button the new one up. I just traded my s1000r for a 2018 Multistrada 1260s, and I’m looking at the full Akrapovic system. I’ve been hearing something about needing to map or dyno the bike after the exhaust change. What is mapping?
also went from HD/chopper world to sport bike. My buddy has a multistrada and loves it. good choice, but too bad you had to get ride of the s1k to get it.

A couple things to consider. A full akra system will change the flow dynamics of the bike. common for dealers to either prohibit install of a new exhaust w/o voiding warranty, or for my aprilia rsv4rr, i could mount a new akra, but the dealer had to install the race ECU to keep warranty. if i wouldn't have done it, the tune (map) would not be right for the bike. this can not only mean less performance, but in extreme cases, could damage components too.

best thing to do is call the dealer, tell them you want to install a full akra, ask if it'll affect warranty and also if they have a race ECU that will accommodate it. if they don't have an ECU option, you won't get full benefit of the exhaust. You'll have to decide if you want to find an aftermarket tune option and void warranty or what at that point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts