Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Rearsets

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I thinking about getting mine painted black before anything else to be honest. But realistically, fender eliminator is more realistic as number 1.

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
Ride it like I stole it 625 miles ! If the thing is as good as my 2015 has lasted 25000 very hard miles, then the love continues with BMW Motorrad. My 2018 only as 4500 miles on it so far. It is awesome !

Just to outline my process and why if any of you are interested in the same method of break in.

Brand new ! Sniff it a little. Love the smell of new.
Get home and start the engine a little so some more new smell is there...
Ride it out to Hwy 121. This is the mountain simulation on Isle of the Man. I can do 129MPH on it for the whole 10 miles of sweeper curves. I will limit to 100 in first 50 miles.
Return home and I should have 50 miles on it. Change the oil. Its called break in oil for a reason. I keep a sample to send to Chicago BlackStone labs.
Go back to Hwy 121. Now I am ready for 129 in some short runs.
Change the oil one more time at 250 miles. Keep a sample again for BlackStone Labs.
Continue running in at various speeds and RPM's to the 625 miles.
Now BMW gets to service it and change the oil again, remove limiter.... Go have more fun on FM697. 14 miles 41 curves.

Look forward to posting on this in 3 weeks.

As to mods.. Radiator guards are 100% first. Then abuse the brakes so I can complain about them. Well, I have the GP4's to remove from my 18 and my MotoGP master cylinder. I just got to see how those Hayes really feel in my world of riding.
Then I hope my buddy gets the Red bike and he still wants to trade my Motorrad Colors for his Red plastic. If not.. oh well. There is a wrap for that.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
How can you ride like you stole it on public roads ? Especially in the US
You have to be willing to (a) incur a BIG fine, (b) lose your license, (c) wind up in jail...or all three.

Saying what you're going to do, and where you're going to do it, should make one of these possible outcomes a given, if LE reads this stuff.

:surprise:

·
Registered
879 Posts
I thinking about getting mine painted black before anything else to be honest. But realistically, fender eliminator is more realistic as number 1.
I hope its Matte Black, you'll have at least..1 fan here.

How can you ride like you stole it on public roads ? Especially in the US
Depends how you plan to ride it, however I recommend getting up super early to do before a lot of motorists head out for the day. Do a once over if planning on hitting curves or check for police if you feel like heading into triple digits on the highway.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You have to be willing to (a) incur a BIG fine, (b) lose your license, (c) wind up in jail...or all three.
haha yeah i know all too well

when i left the US i had over 30 tickets which is thousands of dollars (generally $100-300 each), and thousands upon thousands of dollars in traffic attorney fees ($300ish each time to help me avoid suspension and get approval retake traffic school more than once in a 12 month span), and crazy insurance rates that just kept going up and up

its actually one of the reasons i decided to leave the US... cant just go out and enjoy your car/bike without worrying about cops swarming you, speed planes, radar guns, speed cameras, blah blah blah

and when they pull you over, its like youre a freakin baby murdering seal clubbing flag burning terrorists because 5 other cars swarm around and they make a big deal out of the whole thing... useless cops would rather generate revenue than solve / prevent actual crimes (not saying theyre all useless, i had 2 decent cop buddies, but even they admitted the majority are useless)

my average ticket here is about $12, and it doesnt affect insurance rates >:) coincidentally also the highest road fatality rate in the world lol... but hey, you cant have it both ways.... if you wanna play with fire, be ready to be burned at some point... i figure ill die on my bike sooner or later here, but until that time im gonna have an absolute blast

oh and to get back on topic... when/if i can get the new RR here (wont be available well into next year)

at pickup : remove license plate holder and mirrors... i dont need them things ;)
during breakin : color change (wrap or repaint the plastics, if paint then add paint protection)
after breakin : decat pipe + slipon + tune

·
Registered
80 Posts
First 'mod' will be a screen protector. If you've ever tried to clean a 'naked' BMW TFT screen (GS, etc.) without it going all streaky, you'll understand.
Crash bungs (R&G).
Tank pad (BMW)
Tank grips (Techspec snakeskin)
RAM mount (Telferizer)

And when I can acquire a 'scrap' pillion seat, I'm planning to do some kind of Heath-Robinson hack to mount a decent size tail bag securely.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ride it like I stole it 625 miles ! If the thing is as good as my 2015 has lasted 25000 very hard miles, then the love continues with BMW Motorrad. My 2018 only as 4500 miles on it so far. It is awesome !

Just to outline my process and why if any of you are interested in the same method of break in.

Brand new ! Sniff it a little. Love the smell of new.
Get home and start the engine a little so some more new smell is there...
Ride it out to Hwy 121. This is the mountain simulation on Isle of the Man. I can do 129MPH on it for the whole 10 miles of sweeper curves. I will limit to 100 in first 50 miles.
Return home and I should have 50 miles on it. Change the oil. Its called break in oil for a reason. I keep a sample to send to Chicago BlackStone labs.
Go back to Hwy 121. Now I am ready for 129 in some short runs.
Change the oil one more time at 250 miles. Keep a sample again for BlackStone Labs.
Continue running in at various speeds and RPM's to the 625 miles.
Now BMW gets to service it and change the oil again, remove limiter.... Go have more fun on FM697. 14 miles 41 curves.

Look forward to posting on this in 3 weeks.

As to mods.. Radiator guards are 100% first. Then abuse the brakes so I can complain about them. Well, I have the GP4's to remove from my 18 and my MotoGP master cylinder. I just got to see how those Hayes really feel in my world of riding.
Then I hope my buddy gets the Red bike and he still wants to trade my Motorrad Colors for his Red plastic. If not.. oh well. There is a wrap for that.
That road 121 sounds like fun! What part of Texas is that in?

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts

697 is the fun spot.

I am in North Dallas area. We meet every Saturday and Sunday that there is not RAIN Sleet or Snow. Man has the rain came in North TEXAS this year. 12 Saturdays with rain in 2019 already. 5 inches above normal for the year. Has not even hit 90 degrees yet.

Not worried about LE. I been going those roads 9 years. Its pretty rural, and LE has alot better things to do on hwy 75.

·
Registered
166 Posts

697 is the fun spot.

I am in North Dallas area. We meet every Saturday and Sunday that there is not RAIN Sleet or Snow. Man has the rain came in North TEXAS this year. 12 Saturdays with rain in 2019 already. 5 inches above normal for the year. Has not even hit 90 degrees yet.

Not worried about LE. I been going those roads 9 years. Its pretty rural, and LE has alot better things to do on hwy 75.
Love to join you guys one of these days. Would have to drive from Denver though 😀 I ain't spending 12 hours on any super sports lol

And I sure have an extremely strict no rain policy. F__k the rain mode. Never used it never will. Got caught in light rain once in 3 years that's all the rain the now sold 2015 S1000RR has ever seen. And it's Rider, while riding.....

LE does have better things to do than getting humiliated. We try to stay away here but they also leave us alone most of the time. They don't like bikers but they have lots of ego lol😁

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmm, I’m in Frisco so I’ll have to look this road up. I Had a close call diving into a corner on 455 last Sunday morning about 40 mph over the limit, but I looked over and saw the Sheriff sitting under the tree at the last moment. 😳

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not getting a 2020 (that I know of), but I've have bought enough new bikes to know the first thing to do (before you ride it) is:
CLEAN THE EXCESS FACTORY LUBE OFF THE CHAIN. If you don't you'll be cleaning it off of everything else. I also clean the brake rotors.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts