BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,426 Posts
Those are the Ohlins FKR gas pressure cartridges. Supposedly just outdone with the new (KTech copy) Ohlins. That musta hurt.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Highside? Too much gas coming out the corner? Traction control prob set to min settings? Looked like going at a good clip, no real beginner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ouch! Looks like he might have throttled up too much exiting and still at a good lean? Watched it a few times and front end almost seems like it picked up just before he went down? Only the rider knows!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Even more painful to watch at 240p video resolution.

Only the rider will know what caused the crash but I'm pretty sure @speedfinn has an idea..
And here is your order...
Same mistake in all turns before that crash: Missing apex a bit, full lean angle and opening throttle and does not pick up the bike at all. So a typical error with driving line; turning in a bit too early. And then when rider is trying to be faster just by using throttle the result is obvious, if DTC does not save the rider.
Maybe DTC was off because if the bike has stock ecu; it makes the bike feel very very sluggish out of apex if rider rides like that (wrong line and twisting throttle grip).
Or ecu had RCK and DTC setting were made for a fast rider who does not want to use DTC as a safety net.
Or stock ecu DTC was tuned down/ is it even possible to tune 2019 stock DTC so far down that it allows rider to make a low- or hi-sider? Tyres changed/ tyre radiuses also involved?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was watching the speedo and listening to the throttle right before the spill, looks like as others have stated, too much throttle too soon possibly? Just my opinion. Only the rider knows what really happened, just making an opinion from an observation.

·
Registered
276 Posts
From what little I could tell (240p? Seriously?), the rider was dialing in some serious lean angle (big balls + borrowed bike) and being very liberal with the throttle on exit. Probably relying on DTC too much, OR probably had DTC turned off, which is weird that BMW would allow in a demo ride. Another journalist's video on the same track (same demo day?) showed him manually blipping the throttle and making shifts with the clutch. When questioned, he said that the quick shifter was inoperative in that bike. Maybe it's the same bike that had some sort of system failure. Again, weird that BMW wouldn't have taken it out of the rotation. Let's hope BMW didn't hire out traction control to Boeing engineers for this model.
Anyway, this shows very well how much we've come to rely on TC to be able to ride 200hp super bikes like 600s.

·
Registered
276 Posts
And how about that other rider just zooming by the fallen rider, inches away? Close call. Pretty savage.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but it looked like this was just waiting to happen after watching the rider gas it out of the first turn at full lean. I know it's been said before, but this looked so avoidable using traditional technique. I'm guessing it's possible to catch a marble just before a trigger limit and DTC can't recover a front slide from it, but I don't really know. Hope the rider is doing okay.

·
4,590 Posts
A couple of shots before the session would have fixed that throttle hand and turn in point.

Red RRs crash really well, don't ask how I know. :wink2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts