BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in COTA last week and when i pulled into the pits i would see a small amount of Radiator fluid leaking from the bottom of the bike near the front tire (ended my weekend early). Opened the side and the reservoir was completely full and would not empty. All in all it appeared to be an issue with the Rad cap and then some air in the lines which was fixed under warranty.

Now here's the problem - When the fluid stopped flowing it melted the right side fairing clips from the top and Bottom right side fairings. Since this issue has been tracked down to a failure of a mechanical piece wouldn't it fall under warranty as well?

I am currently waiting for a response from BMW but my dealer says that typically BMW does not replace these parts because they are considered "Cosmetic".

This collateral damage should be fixed as well correct? Trying to get out of paying $$$ for plastics that should be replaced by BMW. Anyone else experience this? Any advice?

·
4,642 Posts
I have had my share of warranty claims with BMW. Dealerships will do their best not to cover issues under warranty. So you need to have some evidence it's caused by rad failure. They should cover it. If they don't, try a different dealership. If they still don't cover it, call BMW NA and let the fun begin.

On a side note, if your bike is 15+ just buy my complete new set of aftermarket fairings for cheap, need them out of my house.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I took a fairing off my bike which had broken a nub. I told my dealership that I broke it, and not to worry about it when they take that same fairing off for the service work that I wanted. They went ahead and replaced the fairing under warranty, no charge.

Generally, a dealership will want to cover warranty claims because they are reimbursed and get paid for the repair work. There is no incentive to deny it. It comes down to whether Corporate covers it or not.

Honestly it depends on a lot of things. If the fairing has a lot of unrelated damage, then they may not cover it, or they may ask you to pay for half. I don't know what clip you are referring to, but if it's an alignment clip and isn't used to secure the fairing onto the bike, then they probably won't cover it. That's just a guess though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had my share of warranty claims with BMW. Dealerships will do their best not to cover issues under warranty. So you need to have some evidence it's caused by rad failure. They should cover it. If they don't, try a different dealership. If they still don't cover it, call BMW NA and let the fun begin.

On a side note, if your bike is 15+ just buy my complete new set of aftermarket fairings for cheap, need them out of my house.
are they race fairings? I may be interested

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a fairing off my bike which had broken a nub. I told my dealership that I broke it, and not to worry about it when they take that same fairing off for the service work that I wanted. They went ahead and replaced the fairing under warranty, no charge.

Generally, a dealership will want to cover warranty claims because they are reimbursed and get paid for the repair work. There is no incentive to deny it. It comes down to whether Corporate covers it or not.

Honestly it depends on a lot of things. If the fairing has a lot of unrelated damage, then they may not cover it, or they may ask you to pay for half. I don't know what clip you are referring to, but if it's an alignment clip and isn't used to secure the fairing onto the bike, then they probably won't cover it. That's just a guess though.
Basically its the front clip that connects the upper and lower fairings together. When its not secure a noticeable gap appears when the wind gets to it. No other damage to the bike at all. It was perfect until the radiator issue appeared and melted the clips.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great news! Just got a call from my dealer - everything is being replaced under warranty. Should have the bike back tomorrow or Monday!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts