BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got an oil leak going on, coming from the engine housing cover left side. The thing is it wasnt too bad and i really wasnt too worried about it. So i put a GB racing package on including a cover on that side. Do you think im gonna have issues at the dealership with that? They could blame the leak on the fact that i took bolts out to put the GB cover on there...just curious to see what you guys think? Should i take it off before i bring it in? The leak was definitely there before i even messed with it so...

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
So I've got an oil leak going on, coming from the engine housing cover left side. The thing is it wasnt too bad and i really wasnt too worried about it. So i put a GB racing package on including a cover on that side. Do you think im gonna have issues at the dealership with that? They could blame the leak on the fact that i took bolts out to put the GB cover on there...just curious to see what you guys think? Should i take it off before i bring it in? The leak was definitely there before i even messed with it so...
A few questions before you bring it in to the dealer. It was leaking before you installed the GB racing case protector, did you try to re-torque the cover? And if you did what did you torque it to - I think it is 3Nm then 90 degrees. Also what torque value did you use when you installed the GB protectors?

To answer your question, even though it should not matter, if the case is leaking unrelated to your install, I would still take them off, don't give the dealer a reason to charge you.

Bruce

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few questions before you bring it in to the dealer. It was leaking before you installed the GB racing case protector, did you try to re-torque the cover? And if you did what did you torque it to - I think it is 3Nm then 90 degrees. Also what torque value did you use when you installed the GB protectors?

To answer your question, even though it should not matter, if the case is leaking unrelated to your install, I would still take them off, don't give the dealer a reason to charge you.

Bruce
Bruce, thanks for the reply.

I'm looking for the torque values again and can't seem to find them. I know its part number 11147726966 for the engine cover with 8 screws (M6X35) and then 4 (M6X45). But to me it would only make sense to re-torque the GB covers to the same values. And yes, it was a problem unrelated to the install. It was only weeping slightly but after a week or two it started to get a little worse. I could try re torquing everything to the 3nm + 90 and see what happens. I'd rather do that than have to truck it up to Atlanta (closest BMW dealership is 1.5 hrs away!).

·
Administrator
7,705 Posts
Careful, if those are the aluminum bolts, they are supposed to be one time use... That said, plenty of folks have reused them (including myself). I re-torqued mine to 5 ft-lbs.

Now on to the warranty. I had a slight leak/seepage from the right (clutch) cover. I also had done some swapping on my own. That said, I came to find out that there was supposed to be a gasket on the clutch cover and there never was. A handful of early model 2010's had this issue from the factory. So I told them what I had done as well as the fact it never had the gasket it was supposed to. They contacted BMW NA and they decided to cover it under warranty. Your case sounds different and I'd imagine if you took it in like it is (with the GB on there), they'd charge you for the repair.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Careful, if those are the aluminum bolts, they are supposed to be one time use... That said, plenty of folks have reused them (including myself). I re-torqued mine to 5 ft-lbs.

Now on to the warranty. I had a slight leak/seepage from the right (clutch) cover. I also had done some swapping on my own. That said, I came to find out that there was supposed to be a gasket on the clutch cover and there never was. A handful of early model 2010's had this issue from the factory. So I told them what I had done as well as the fact it never had the gasket it was supposed to. They contacted BMW NA and they decided to cover it under warranty. Your case sounds different and I'd imagine if you took it in like it is (with the GB on there), they'd charge you for the repair.
ewww thats wack. Alright. Thanks for the heads up. And yeah i thought it was interesting because when looking at the parts fiche it shows the clutch cover right side with a gasket but for the engine housing cover/alt cover it does NOT show a gasket. Just thought it was kind of interesting. But yea I'm not taking any chances. Id rather just take it off...and then truck it up to ATL. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I'm assuming if you installed the GB Racing parts that you used the new stainless screws they supplied? So if you do decide to bring it to the dealer without the GB parts those screws will be too long and you will need to replace them with the correct factory ones. And that is correct they are aluminum and are intended for one time use - hence the 3Nm plus 90 degrees. The 90 degrees allows for the stretch of the screws. So if I were you - I would install the old screws - because when you bring it in and if they do it correctly they will not reuse those screws. So if covered under warrany you will get the leaks repaired and new screws.

And when you get home proceed to remove the new screws and reinstall the GB racing case covers with the supplies stainless ones.

Good luck

Bruce

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm assuming if you installed the GB Racing parts that you used the new stainless screws they supplied? So if you do decide to bring it to the dealer without the GB parts those screws will be too long and you will need to replace them with the correct factory ones. And that is correct they are aluminum and are intended for one time use - hence the 3Nm plus 90 degrees. The 90 degrees allows for the stretch of the screws. So if I were you - I would install the old screws - because when you bring it in and if they do it correctly they will not reuse those screws. So if covered under warrany you will get the leaks repaired and new screws.

And when you get home proceed to remove the new screws and reinstall the GB racing case covers with the supplies stainless ones.

Good luck

Bruce
Yes used the screws supplied by GB. Luckily i took the old screws and put it in the zip lock bags with the pic and install instructions of each part lol so ive definitely got them somewhere. Thanks again. Keep ya guys updated. Wish me luck. Ive been on deployment and ready to be home; the last thing i want is for my bike to be in the shop for two months.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Reopening an old thread as I have a slightly similar issue.

I had installed R&G engine case covers a few months back. This cover goes on top of OEM cover, only 4 bolts to be removed and replaced with longer steel bolts from R&G.
After couple of months I came to know that two of the bolts on the left side cover leaks some oil (not sure when exactly the leak started). It wasnt much but the black under belly fairing is moist with oil. Retorqued it to recommended 3NM + 90 degree but still the same. Asked BMW dealership to fix it during my scheduled service and they charged a whopping 100 euros labour (no idea why the mech spent so much time on it) and now I see there is still a bit of oil below one of the bolt (earlier it was 2 bolts) after every run. What is the best way forward? Should I apply some loctite on the bolts? (if yes, which one, loctite 272?) I dont know if I should go back to dealership and argue/convince them to fix it for free as they have already charged so much.

I had zero issues on this bike and was happily riding around and now this R&G cover is causing trouble albeit a minor one. I have a half a mind to buy new oem bolts and just remove the R&G cover.

·
Administrator
6,785 Posts
If they fixed it but then it started leaking again. Take it back and demand they fix it. The cover needs to be removed, all the silicone gasket removed from the cover and engine case, cleaned and then re applied. It shouldn't leak with any crash protection bolted onto it as the cover is already sealed and the bolts just hold slight pressure on it. I don't think you need loctite. The case should seal correctly with or without crash protection. Maybe the case is not flat or has marks in the sealing surface. It's a fairly straight forward problem to fix.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If they fixed it but then it started leaking again. Take it back and demand they fix it. The cover needs to be removed, all the silicone gasket removed from the cover and engine case, cleaned and then re applied. It shouldn't leak with any crash protection bolted onto it as the cover is already sealed and the bolts just hold slight pressure on it. I don't think you need loctite. The case should seal correctly with or without crash protection. Maybe the case is not flat or has marks in the sealing surface. It's a fairly straight forward problem to fix.
Thanks for the reply Benny.

Just to clarify, when you say "The cover needs to be removed, all the silicone gasket removed from the cover and engine case, cleaned and then re applied" the cover stands for the oem cover which is below the R&G cover isnt it?

"Maybe the case is not flat or has marks in the sealing surface" doesnt this mean the R&G covers had nothing to do with it and it was the oem case/gasket which is the culprit? But can this happen just like that?

I couldnt talk to the mech that day who worked on my bike to know what exactly he did, as it was late in the evening I had to settle the bill with sales guys.

Also I am not even sure when/how the issue started but it sure as hell was fine till August.

It's a fairly straight forward problem to fix.
I thought so too but seeing how long they took last time I am not sure what they will do now. Just that going all the way there on a weekday is a bit of a hassle really. Also I am not sure to what extent I should go with my demands to fix it for free and my inability to speak French/Dutch doesnt make things any easier :serious:

EDIT : Called them up just now and the guy told me to leave the bike tomorrow morning and they will have a look at it. He also told me that if the leak is from the same place (I know it is) they will fix it for free. Waiting to see how it goes.

·
Administrator
6,785 Posts
Yeah the OEM cover should be sealed to the engine case regardless of the crash cover. I have GB racing covers on mine and have no issues on 2 bikes. 4 longer bolts to accomodate the crash cover and everything is fine. Sounds more to me they didn't do the job properly. They may try to blame to the crash cover for why it's leaking but it won't cause the leak.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah the OEM cover should be sealed to the engine case regardless of the crash cover. I have GB racing covers on mine and have no issues on 2 bikes. 4 longer bolts to accomodate the crash cover and everything is fine. Sounds more to me they didn't do the job properly. They may try to blame to the crash cover for why it's leaking but it won't cause the leak.
Thanks for the confirmation Benny. If they give me a hard time, I will tell them that the tech expert at BMW Motorrad Australia has personally told me that the RG cover cant be the cause of oil leak :grin2:
Now I am wondering, shouldnt the whole thing be covered under warranty?

·
Administrator
6,785 Posts
Well even if the bike was out of warranty, there is a warranty on current repairs so it should be honoured if it is found to be a fault they didn't rectify the first time. The left hand cover also has a rubber seal around the exit where the alternator wire protrudes. That also needs sealant on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well even if the bike was out of warranty, there is a warranty on current repairs so it should be honoured if it is found to be a fault they didn't rectify the first time. The left hand cover also has a rubber seal around the exit where the alternator wire protrudes. That also needs sealant on it.
I went to the dealership today, they had a look and said they need time to open the engine case cover and fix it up and also order parts if required, which can then take another day. They couldnt do it today as they are fully booked so I will be going on Monday again. The leak is pretty minor and I am riding to Intermot this weekend, hope the leak doesnt get worse.

The bike has a 3yr warranty (I bought it on May under their second hand Premium Selection category). They also confirmed their repair has warranty and they are willing to do this under it as long as the issue is not entirely different than last time.

One consolation is I will be getting a 1200GSA as loan bike in the meantime : )

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi @bennymx, sorry I forgot to update here for a while. Like I mentioned on previous post, I rode to Intermot and few other places in Germany and during the total 600kms ride, I could see the same one drop of oil on the bottom of case cover. I had to cancel my appointment with the BMW dealership as I couldnt go that day but I kept riding the bike as it was and recently even did a 1500kms ride and I dont see the oil drop/leak anymore. The case cover seems fully dry. Can it stop just like that? Wondering if I should still get it checked at BMW (I am not really confident if it would be done entirely for free) and also why try to fix if it aint broke :D

Also I had mailed R&G racing back then regarding the issue and they shipped me few spacers for free, saying that it might help. But now that I dont see the leak anymore I dont want to unnecessarily open it and possibly cause problems :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is exactly why I don't even try to do these kinds of upgrades myself. I recently got R&G covers (the smaller metallic ones) and frame sliders and paid BMW to install them during the 600 mile service. This way I'm sure it's done correctly and can save me from a lot of hassle in case I make a mistake.

·
Administrator
6,785 Posts
Hi @bennymx, sorry I forgot to update here for a while. Like I mentioned on previous post, I rode to Intermot and few other places in Germany and during the total 600kms ride, I could see the same one drop of oil on the bottom of case cover. I had to cancel my appointment with the BMW dealership as I couldnt go that day but I kept riding the bike as it was and recently even did a 1500kms ride and I dont see the oil drop/leak anymore. The case cover seems fully dry. Can it stop just like that? Wondering if I should still get it checked at BMW (I am not really confident if it would be done entirely for free) and also why try to fix if it aint broke :D

Also I had mailed R&G racing back then regarding the issue and they shipped me few spacers for free, saying that it might help. But now that I dont see the leak anymore I dont want to unnecessarily open it and possibly cause problems :)
Well if you clean it well. Then ride and monitor the leak. If it stops leaking then leave it. If it starts again though it definitely needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well if you clean it well. Then ride and monitor the leak. If it stops leaking then leave it. If it starts again though it definitely needs to be fixed.
Thanks Benny. I dont see any oil these days so I will just leave it as it is and keep an eye on it. Just a bit surprised how it can stop all by itself.

This is exactly why I don't even try to do these kinds of upgrades myself. I recently got R&G covers (the smaller metallic ones) and frame sliders and paid BMW to install them during the 600 mile service. This way I'm sure it's done correctly and can save me from a lot of hassle in case I make a mistake.
Installing these case covers are supposed to be pretty straight forward and its very simple to be honest. It did work without problems for few months too :) But yeah, I understand your point. I got the frame sliders installed by the dealership before delivery itself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts