BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I don’t understand what role a linear sensor has in separating compression and rebound. I don’t have a clue how the system works, but I imagine there is an electro-mechanical device that changes the fluid flow. Why can’t that be set for compression and rebound by dialing in a number for each. In order to get dynamic damping you would need a sensor, but static ???
That sensor let's the ECU know how far and how fast the fork is compressing and rebounding. Without some sort of sensor the computer has know way of knowing. There is a sensor that comes on the rear shock. So in stock form BMW uses damping a combination of compression and rebound that can be set instead of the individual parameters. On the front DDC forks.

·
Vendor
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I don’t understand what role a linear sensor has in separating compression and rebound. I don’t have a clue how the system works, but I imagine there is an electro-mechanical device that changes the fluid flow. Why can’t that be set for compression and rebound by dialing in a number for each. In order to get dynamic damping you would need a sensor, but static ???

The 2D sensor does not separate the compression and rebound itself. The sensor is for the ECU to have data on the front suspension movement. That movement is logged into the CAN BUS and datalogged if you have the HP DataLogger attached. This allows the use of the 377 2D interface module

datalogger 2D interface modul for HP Race Datalogger [7470A109A00] : alpha Racing - Performance Parts & Merchandise, Onlineshop

Then with the data on the CAN BUS, and you have not deleted the DDC ... it is picked up by the ESA module. The ESA separates the data to compression and rebound on the front forks. Once the settings data is now in the cluster it is sent to the GM and sent to the ESA. When the front 2D sensor is in place, it becomes semi active suspension, which I wrote about already. The front does not tell the rear shock what is coming, but, it can help in the rear shock holding the rebound providing squat. If you are trying to get anti squat with your settings, it can provide some anti squat also.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts