BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Vendor
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
that is correct, and the wires are black red and white. Black is ground, Red is power, White is signal...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does this sensor just record fork displacement or is it used as feedback for the Electronic suspension?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I serviced yesterday the front/rear potentiometer. I had it for more than 10000km. I noticed in the latest trackday some spikes in the data. Even with the protection I made out of carbon fiber there was some dirt inside (not dust but from the metal wear). Now after cleaning and reassemble everything is perfect. I will service mine every 2years or 5000km.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Could I get any information on how to mount this sensor to the bike (2D front suspension sensor 175 mm, S 1000 RR 2019- [7470HP004A00] : alpha Racing - Performance Parts & Merchandise, Onlineshop) It mentions that it is to be used with the M Race Kit. Will this work with standard ECU?
It will work with the standard ECU to unlock the adjustability of rebound and compression in the front shock. I have a 150mm sensor that I connected following @BMW_388's thread and low and behold it pops up with nothing more than connecting it to the harness. I was thinking I could 3D print this kind of mount that may be about 25mm or so longer to accommodate the shorter sensor.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I ordered the new bracket from Alpha, when it gets in I'll let you all know how well it works out.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Well, I got the mount from Alpha. Now, I'm waiting for my bike to get out of the shop from recalls and whatnot. I'll post up pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Strange that compression and rebound damping is not included stock. Obviously the electronic valving capability is built in. I would think the sensor is only needed to add dynamic capability???

·
Registered
748 Posts
Strange that compression and rebound damping is not included stock. Obviously the electronic valving capability is built in. I would think the sensor is only needed to add dynamic capability???
Sensor is needed to separate compression and rebound damping adjustments. Without it, ECU runs approximation algorithm.

However, I removed DDC suspension completely, I run Mupo. I use sensor only for datalogging purposes.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
So does the 175mm sensor not interfere with the radiator or hit any parts?

·
Vendor
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Even at full left lockout? On the last bikes, you had to dremel off a little of the radiator housing or they would touch...
I have already tested all this.

You have to have steering lock BLOCKS to limit the travel to the left. If you have radiator guards, the limit of travel is even worse than it was with the K46.

The only way around limiting travel to the left and have the 2D sensor is to mount it on the front side of the fork tube.

Even mounting it on the right did not allow full travel on a right steer turn, but it was slightly better than the left. The cable then would have to be extended for it to connect over on the left side.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sensor is needed to separate compression and rebound damping adjustments. Without it, ECU runs approximation algorithm.
I don’t understand what role a linear sensor has in separating compression and rebound. I don’t have a clue how the system works, but I imagine there is an electro-mechanical device that changes the fluid flow. Why can’t that be set for compression and rebound by dialing in a number for each. In order to get dynamic damping you would need a sensor, but static ???

21 - 40 of 45 Posts