BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
clearing of air

I wasn't trying to incite a riot, LOL.

Too many occasions I've heard mention in person, as well as in forums, people talking with fear of doing their own maintenance or doing simple so called mods, because the dealer or their representative/mechanic/service manager tried to aggressively dissuade them from doing. That's why I mentioned MM, but I didn't mean it was Gospel. I just get sick of hearing the same thing regarding those issues.
Those people who try to instill indecision and fear or either of the two, have a vested interest in doing so and because of it resort to this behavior to ensure they have a steady paycheck. I get it, everybody needs to earn a living and NOT everybody WANTS to do their own maintenance. I just don't like people getting put off on false pretenses.
Never said or meant to insinuate that if you toss on an Open exhaust, regardless of brand and say for instance, unplug the O2 sensors, and not have some type of compensatory contingency for the additional flow and fry your valves, don't worry because MM has your back.

I mentioned that was the reason I refrained from buying any HP parts, because of the required waiver, and kind of went off on a tangent about mods and maintenance from there, without tying it all together.

I suppose I probably should go back to lurking, hard to be taken out of context that way, especially when I fail to clarify exactly what I am trying to convey, for the benefit of others.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My experience has shown me that:

1) Innocent until proven guilty works against you when you are trying to say someone broke the law in a way that harms you. While it may be the 'law' that they have to prove your modification was at fault, it is also the 'law' that they can't be found guilty for breaking that law unless you can prove they are guilty of doing so and hence that your modification was not at fault. As others have stated, this is generally a very expensive and involved process for the individual to succeed at against a giant multinational corporation. A law doesn't prevent someone from harming you, it just provides the opportunity for repercussions if they do.

2) Dealers can do whatever they want. Some are more cautious about claims they submit to bmw because if they do the work and bmw won't honor it, then they may be out some cash. I believe a 'good dealer' will support your claim and take that risk to provide their customers with good service. If they say upfront that something will void your warranty it doesn't matter if it really does or not, they can choose not to honor it and then fight your claim in court if it comes to it (most people don't file court claims and instead just come onto forums and complain about it).

3) Just find a dealer who will support you - this is important even if you don't modify your bike.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Different dealer seems the way to go for sure.
Could this be the difference between an actual HP authorized BMW dealer, and just a regular BMW dealer?
I'm sure Max BMW is an HP authorized dealer, so maybe their making their own determination how they'll handle it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't really see how they can void an entire vehicle warranty based on an exhaust modification. If you live in the US, I don't see them being able to say "Oh, your forks exploded from a manufacturing defect? Yep we can't cover that because your exhaust isn't stock." I could maybe see them claiming you did one too many bad wheelies, but even that they would probably have to prove that there was "abuse" which led to the failure.

But hey that's my opinion and certainly not legal advice.

·
Super Moderator
6,262 Posts
I don't really see how they can void an entire vehicle warranty based on an exhaust modification. If you live in the US, I don't see them being able to say "Oh, your forks exploded from a manufacturing defect? Yep we can't cover that because your exhaust isn't stock." I could maybe see them claiming you did one too many bad wheelies, but even that they would probably have to prove that there was "abuse" which led to the failure.

They don't do that. If it can be proved that something you or someone else did to the bike that caused a failure then it won't be covered. That's why it is commonly known that mods are fine as long as they don't cause damage to the bike. Won't void it straight up.

·
Registered
21 Posts

They don't do that. If it can be proved that something you or someone else did to the bike that caused a failure then it won't be covered. That's why it is commonly known that mods are fine as long as they don't cause damage to the bike. Won't void it straight up.
Exactly. I was just throwing out an example of why it sounds stupid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a question guys my engine recently just blew , engine is covered over warranty from previous blown engine , engine has only 10k miles they are claiming that my spark plugs are to blame and can’t be covered over warranty because they aren’t bmw spark plugs I used brisk plugs , would that avoid warranty ?

·
Vendor
2,080 Posts
Got a question guys my engine recently just blew , engine is covered over warranty from previous blown engine , engine has only 10k miles they are claiming that my spark plugs are to blame and can’t be covered over warranty because they aren’t bmw spark plugs I used brisk plugs , would that avoid warranty ?
BMWAG can void the warranty on using the wrong oil if they want to.

There is a specification for every part on that engine. you get out of that specification they control the approvals.

Now, you can fight it. You can get a lawyer and whip out all that stuff several guys are going to pop in here and tell you claim some act of act of something.

I am sure BMWAG is not wanting to give you a 2nd engine is the most problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mostly agree with what BMW_388 says- the only way to force BMW to honor their warranty, on the assumption that it's something they should cover, is getting a lawyer involved...pretty much guaranteed the cost of that is way beyond the cost of replacing the motor.

Answering your question, BMW can try to deny warranty coverage for just about any reason they see fit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Assuming you're in the US, manufacturers can't require you to use a specific brand of parts or to have the vehicle serviced at their chosen dealerships, which means (this is for BMW_388) they can't void a warranty simply because non-OEM parts are present.

So if you feel like the spark plugs met BMW's specifications, were installed correctly, and aren't satisfied with BMW's explanation as to how they caused the motor to fail, hire a lawyer or took into what consumer protection/advocacy agencies your state has and prepare for a long, uphill fight.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This thread is interesting, meanwhile pointless (with all due respect). If warranty was a clear and black and white process we wouldn’t have so many attorneys making a good living of it. I see more benefit in having good relation with an attorney than the dealer, better yet be the attorney, or the best option marry to one! I chose the latter and been happy since then 😊

21 - 30 of 30 Posts