BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer informed me that if I put on a full exhaust on the 2015 it would void the warranty. Slip on would be O.K. Is that true?

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you're dealer is that unfriendly about such a basic change, you may want to find another dealer because they're going to be looking for *any* reason to not cover what should be covered under warranty.

The bottom line is that if you have an issue, the dealer/manufacturer has to be able to definitively prove that whatever aftermarket parts/mods you had on the bike caused that issue. We have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act to thank for this protection.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Just because bmw dealer sells something doesn't mean it may not void the warranty. They sell the race ecu which when I bought my 2011 voided the warranty on certain parts of the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Just because bmw dealer sells something doesn't mean it may not void the warranty. They sell the race ecu which when I bought my 2011 voided the warranty on certain parts of the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I know if you buy the race kit they make you sign a waiver that you are not using it on the street and that by installing the kit it may void your warranty.

They sell the exhaust systems alone - they install them as O.E.M on HP4's and on K1300's - it will not void the warranty. Now if you do other mods to the bike that BMW can prove harmed it then there can be an issue.

Two ways to make sure there will be no issues - buy it from the dealer and let them install it. And the other way simply take it off - if you ever have a major engine problem during your warranty period.

Again the dealer is being stupid - instead of working with their customer they are pushing him away.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I can post a copy of the waiver that I signed for my race ECU again. I believe that it does void the warranty, the language is pretty specific. That said, I also had to sign a paper to order the small "HP" sticker that goes on the ECU. The sticker was lost before I picked up the ECU, so I had to order one separately. Can't imagine they could void a warranty over a sticker!

I think the whole point on these waivers is this; It gives them a reason and means to deny a claim. They (the manufacturer) knows that the law is not on their side but I imagine that the threat alone gets them off the hook more often than not. At that point, who has the money to fight? The customer or BMW?

Also, when installing the HP Race ECU, you purchase that from BMW and they have to install/enable the software. There is no way the individual can do that. The dealer can not order those parts from BMW Germany until Germany receives a signed waiver by the owner of the bike. That kind of shoots down the argument of buying from the dealer and having them install the part to avoid a voided warranty threat.

I agree its ridiculous how the dealers claim every little thing will void your warranty. I think in the case of a new ECU for example, they need to protect themselves from someone doing something wrong. I spent a little time looking at the internals of the ECU with the Calibration Kit 2 software and I'm sure you could do some serious damage to the motor very easily. I wouldn't expect someone to cover that.

I think as some have said, find a dealer that will install those parts without the threats. Build a relationship with them, and you would be surprised what they can do for you. I owned a boat several years ago and a very good buddy worked for a dealer that serviced the brand (OMC) of motor/outdrive unit my boat had. My outdrive was a little stiff when shifting, and him being a perfectionist, that needed fixed! He brought in the regional rep for OMC, and when he was done, my outdrive was fitted with a complete transmission gear set and shafts, all new electronics, and new shift cables. We are talking thousands of dollars. My boat was a couple of years out of warranty and although it ran and worked fine, it was not as good as my buddy thought it should be.

I know that that kind of service is not the norm, and having friends in the right places certainly helps. There was no deception between my buddy and the rep, he was up front about the fact that he (my buddy) felt things weren't failing, they just should perform better.

As frustrating as going to a dealer can be, find one that you can build a relationship with and steer clear of the ones that claim installing frame sliders will void the warranty on the motor, or the whole bike!

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I can post a copy of the waiver that I signed for my race ECU again. I believe that it does void the warranty, the language is pretty specific. That said, I also had to sign a paper to order the small "HP" sticker that goes on the ECU. The sticker was lost before I picked up the ECU, so I had to order one separately. Can't imagine they could void a warranty over a sticker!

I think the whole point on these waivers is this; It gives them a reason and means to deny a claim. They (the manufacturer) knows that the law is not on their side but I imagine that the threat alone gets them off the hook more often than not. At that point, who has the money to fight? The customer or BMW?

Also, when installing the HP Race ECU, you purchase that from BMW and they have to install/enable the software. There is no way the individual can do that. The dealer can not order those parts from BMW Germany until Germany receives a signed waiver by the owner of the bike. That kind of shoots down the argument of buying from the dealer and having them install the part to avoid a voided warranty threat.

I agree its ridiculous how the dealers claim every little thing will void your warranty. I think in the case of a new ECU for example, they need to protect themselves from someone doing something wrong. I spent a little time looking at the internals of the ECU with the Calibration Kit 2 software and I'm sure you could do some serious damage to the motor very easily. I wouldn't expect someone to cover that.

I think as some have said, find a dealer that will install those parts without the threats. Build a relationship with them, and you would be surprised what they can do for you. I owned a boat several years ago and a very good buddy worked for a dealer that serviced the brand (OMC) of motor/outdrive unit my boat had. My outdrive was a little stiff when shifting, and him being a perfectionist, that needed fixed! He brought in the regional rep for OMC, and when he was done, my outdrive was fitted with a complete transmission gear set and shafts, all new electronics, and new shift cables. We are talking thousands of dollars. My boat was a couple of years out of warranty and although it ran and worked fine, it was not as good as my buddy thought it should be.

I know that that kind of service is not the norm, and having friends in the right places certainly helps. There was no deception between my buddy and the rep, he was up front about the fact that he (my buddy) felt things weren't failing, they just should perform better.

As frustrating as going to a dealer can be, find one that you can build a relationship with and steer clear of the ones that claim installing frame sliders will void the warranty on the motor, or the whole bike!
You misunderstood me - I agree with you on the kit - with the ECU. We are talking about the exhaust system alone. BMW sells the exhaust systems and they do not require a signed waiver and they do not void the warranty. As I stated they come on HP4's and K1300s's the anniversary and HP models.

My point about purchasing the exhaust from your dealer and letting them install it - you will not have any problems in regard to warranty.

The dealer that gave him that info either misunderstood what he wanted to do - or they are just out to lunch on this one. Sure they have the right to say it will void the warranty if they so choose - and if they don't want to do it.

I know one thing it is not an issue with my dealer and they would be glad to sell you that exhaust.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Here's one for you all to get a chuckle out of. You need to sign this form:

To purchase this:

Seems they are all over the place with what "might" void the warranty.

I understand the deal with the pipe, and it does not appear you need the waiver for it. I would still just find a different dealer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Akrapovic and BMW are colluding to abolish warranty claims in the USA.

This is the EXACT reason I would NOT buy ANY HP parts. Once you voluntarily give up your rights, you are screwed.
Everyone should do themselves a favor and study the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, of 1975. This is why BMW and it's legal team have come up with this document that is required to be signed off on by the client wishing to purchase BMW HP parts, and installing them on their bikes. To some degree I can appreciate where they might be coming from if said client(s) would be engaging in regular competition, but the majority are simply enthusiasts who simply want to make their machine stand apart from the others, or simply want the acknowledged top tier parts for their machines for no other reason than bragging rights and bravado through cosmetic upgrades.
FACT in the USA you do NOT have to have the dealer provide service for your vehicles in order to maintain warranty status. All that is required are records/receipts that work was performed in lockstep with the OEM prescribed methods and materials/parts. A hand written log by the owner with receipts for oil and filter, etc. and a hand written account of any other items i.e. tightened steering stem to **Nm and measurements of valve clearances and the requisite shims installed. That's it, the rest is total strong arm bullying by unscrupulous dealers against naive clients.
Again I strongly encourage everyone to research Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act and stop accepting everything their good ole boy dealer and their personnel is force-feeding them. :mad::eek::rolleyes::confused::)

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Here's one for you all to get a chuckle out of. You need to sign this form:

To purchase this:

Seems they are all over the place with what "might" void the warranty.

I understand the deal with the pipe, and it does not appear you need the waiver for it. I would still just find a different dealer.
Different dealer seems the way to go for sure.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I thought, that all HP parts require this form to be signed. As I said before, I had to sign this form to purchase a sticker that just says "HP." It measures 1" long and is 3/8" tall and maybe 1/16" thick. This sticker is supposed to be installed on the new Race ECU so anytime a dealer hooks the bike up to their diagnostics system, they will know before hand that this is not the stock ECU.

When the dealer looks up parts in their system, these items are flagged by BMW Germany as needing the waiver.

I agree with the last post, that the waiver is just a deterrent. Without going into details, some employers require a non-compete agreement be signed at the time of employment. For the lowest level employees, these agreements are mostly un-enforceable. The business owners know this but the employee now has the proper amount of fear installed because he/she doesn't know any better. I think the warranty threat is the very same thing.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Again I strongly encourage everyone to research Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act and stop accepting everything their good ole boy dealer and their personnel is force-feeding them. :mad::eek::rolleyes::confused::)
I strongly agree! Anyone that modifies their vehicles needs to get themselves aquainted with this law. Heck, if a dealer told me such BS, I would make a copy of the Magnuson-Moss and hand it to them.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I strongly agree! Anyone that modifies their vehicles needs to get themselves aquainted with this law. Heck, if a dealer told me such BS, I would make a copy of the Magnuson-Moss and hand it to them.
Here in Massachusetts you can't sign your legal rights away the court will not accept it and fight for you.

Does not matter if you are of legal age and you make an agreement between you and the seller if it is not law in MA it does not hold up in court. An example - you could make a deal with a car/motorcycle dealer to purchase a vehicle as is - due to a price reduction - you can sign on the dotted line where the dealer has stated the vehicle is sold as is due to the price consideration both mutually agreed to.

Then the purchaser has a problem and goes back to the dealer and the dealer refuses to repair the vehicle because the purchaser made an as is deal. Purchaser brings dealer to court and depending on how the judge looks at the case not only will the dealer have to repair the vehicle - the judge has the option to award the purchaser triple damages.

All this warranty be voided stuff - does not hold up unless complete negligence can be 100% proved.

On a side note - I have experience with BMW not wanting to honor their warranty - long story short they were happy to take care of me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe the dealer I spoke to is the only one in my area, so I'm kinda limited on where to have service. So, I'll call them on the full exhaust B.S if they want my business. Otherwise seems like a solid dealer.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
All you guys yelling about how great MM is need to realize that possession is 9/10ths of the law and the dealer/mfg hold all the cards. When they refuse to warranty something because, in their judgment, the modification caused the failure, telling them about MM or giving them a copy isn't going to do diddly-squat. The only recourse is a lawsuit which you can never get a lawyer to take on contingency, so you're looking at several grand just to get involved in a legal process with no guarantee of success. Or spend a lot of time taking them to small claims with again, no guarantee of success.

MM sets a general legal framework that dealers can't require dealer service and can't automatically void warranties without some reasonable explanation of how a modification caused the failure, but don't expect it to be something you can beat them over the head with or appeal to some special MM-arbitration board that is ready to go to work on your behalf. Keep this in mind - if there is some reasonable way a failure can be connected to the mod you're considering, there is definitely a warranty risk and MM doesn't lessen this risk one iota.

- Mark

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
O.K. I will agree when you get into serious modification (like major engine work of ECU flash), you are pretty much on your own getting warrantee repair if you have a catastrophic failure. However, what the original post was about was a BMW dealer installing a BMW sold exhaust.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
O.K. I will agree when you get into serious modification (like major engine work of ECU flash), you are pretty much on your own getting warrantee repair if you have a catastrophic failure. However, what the original post was about was a BMW dealer installing a BMW sold exhaust.
I pretty much agree, although just because BMW sells it doesn't automatically make it not have warranty implications. I think the key thing here is that the exhaust, regardless of who makes it, retains the cat and is sold as a street exhaust. Something strictly designed for racing with a "race use only" sticker would be higher risk.

And you always have to keep in mind that if a mod runs a warranty risk, it is generally confined only to systems directly affected by the mod. For an exhaust, this would be things like the exhaust system itself and perhaps the exhaust valves. IOW, put a full race exhaust on your bike and you're covered if you have a FI failure, but probably not if you burned an exhaust valve. Blow a head gasket or burn a piston? You're probably Okay, but they could be sticklers. A lot might depend on your relationship with the dealer and whether they're in the red zone with BMW with respect to warranty claims for the month.

- Mark

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
The simple reality check on things like MM Act is that the law only protects those with the resources and will to litigate it regardless of how right you are or how much righteous indignation you have. Your best option is always going to be to patronize a dealer that understands that you and he are partners in your two-wheeled adventures and shows a commitment to you and your experience. If I wanted to buy an S1000RR and the dealer didn't sell many; didn't have anyone in the service department that was an expert on track bikes; and didn't have an appreciation for the whole race bike experience; then I'd probably shop elsewhere because you're going to run in to BS responses like the OP got. My dealer has been trying to sell me all the HP parts for my bike since I rode it off the lot a year ago and I have no doubt they'd happily go to bat for me on warranty repairs that weren't obviously caused by some mod I made.

It sounds like the OP's dealer isn't one of those.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts