BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW M1000rr
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interested to hear from others experience.
Wonder how the alpha airbox impacts performance with either of these stacks as well
I have the m1000rr so it has already the alpharacing racing air box from factory installed. According to a video on youtube the airbox make a big difference about 4hp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the bt stacks and alpha racing box an dont really feel any difference. To me the bt moto flash just get rid of the dead spot in 2nd gear an take off sum restriction.

·
Registered
2021 BMW M1000rr
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the bt stacks and alpha racing box an dont really feel any difference. To me the bt moto flash just get rid of the dead spot in 2nd gear an take off sum restriction.
You have stage 1 or 2?
When I installed the stage 1 onnmy previous s1000rr k67 I was really surprised with the difference.
With the m1000rr I didn't feel almost anything with the bt tuning.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
I have the BT stacks on my 14 HP4. did the 15+ center stack swap. seems to run better by the Dyno numbers wasn't real great. sent info to Brentune AFM seems right but the DYNO that was used was a older mobile Dyno don't know when last calibrated so thinking about taking it to Brentune. 190 bhp.:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
your hp4 is different in terms of engine and air box, on the s1000rr 2019 - 2022 it is worth taking the air box of the M and it gives you 4 to 6 hp across the board

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
your hp4 is different in terms of engine and air box, on the s1000rr 2019 - 2022 it is worth taking the air box of the M and it gives you 4 to 6 hp across the board
claiming 4 to 6 HP ( SAE ) across the broad is a false statement. Even if you are talking BHP

1 Horsepower [HP] = 0.986 320 070 619 53 Brake horsepower [bhp]

So my Mule 2 is going to see from a peak number of 203HP to 207 / 209HP , but more important your claim is across the board ( dyno chart ). Impossible guy.

So my dyno has had 10 different K67 bikes on it since 2020, and I have personally owned 5 different K67 since June 2019 to dyno as many times as I want at the various times of temperature and humidity.

I also own a 2021 version M1000RR. Never had the desire to take it apart much less ride it much. I have owned it one year and it only has 1450 miles still.

But come October when the air is dry and cooler in TEXAS, I will take my M1000 air box off my bike and dyno it on my S1000 Mule 3 and Mule 2. Mule 2 has over 1000 hits on my dyno. Mule 3 is 2022 engine and even the 5Z0 new ECU package from BMW Motorrad.

So lets look at my dyno sheet for my race flash I just call it V2. I have stock IAT location, my intake flapper doors were in the open position all the time, and I have stock air box and stacks. So I am putting down 203HP with really the best number being the torque. You guys are so stuck on measuring your HP because that is all people really know how to perceive performance. We brag about HP and ride the torque. If you increase HP by alot across the spectrum of RPM, you are going to lose torque somewhere, and thankfully unless your tune in the ECU is really bad, it would be actually bad to say you increased HP across the whole RPM range.

BMW Motorrad did not give us that bad a tune over the full RPM spectrum once you are pass 2nd and 3rd gears. We dyno in 4th and 5th anyway, so lets only look at those gears.

First lets establish the specs on the K67 as it was posted release of 2020

2020 BMW S 1000 RR Specs (standard model)
  • Type: Inline-4.
  • Displacement: 999cc.
  • Bore x stroke: 80 x 49.7mm.
  • Maximum power: 205 horsepower @ 13,000 rpm.
  • Maximum torque: 83 ft/lbs @ 11,000 rpm.
  • Compression ratio: 13.3:1.
  • Valvetrain: DOHC; 4vpc.
  • Transmission: 6-speed w/ straight-cut gears.
The 205HP is at the crankshaft. Not the rear tire. So taking the typical 12HP lost of driveline on MOTOCYCLE.. as cars is rated even higher and should be....
The math reads 205-12=193HP at the rear tire. Bingo on my dyno, I have done many stock K67 with CAT and exhaust, stock ECU, and it is 193 to 195HP all day.

The New BMW S1000RR Superbike Is Finally Here

So Asphalt Rubber posts 204HP.. BMW 205HP.. oh my gosh, the manhood measuring contest to brag about HP. My dyno is rated at 2HP off on the light side and verified by DynoJet, but they wont send another calibration file to my RT data box. They make one attempt and whatever they hit on is what you get. I know the reason for this however. If they send the first DAT file, and it is XX HP off on calibration, and they turn around and send a 2nd DAT file with the 2HP calibration change, I can use a hex editor to go into the file and actually hack the hex code to another calibration number based on trial and error of trying, but, the most important part is I know the hexcode location of the data I need to change because on the 2HP change would be in the 2nd DAT file. Keith explained they make one recalibration attempt per DynoJet setup and since I brought mine brand new, that is all I get. So I typically dont brag that my DynoJet reads 2HP off and if I am seeing 203HP on the dyno graph at the rear tire, I could say, well, that is really 205HP because I am light 2HP. What I prefer to say is that KWS will dyno 208HP and Exotica MotorSports will dyno 203HP and somewhere between that 203 and 208 is my dyno number HP at the rear tire.

So, now we a discussion on
Velocity stacks Alpha Racing or BT-Moto

What do these do? Then there is the M1000 Air box throw into the bragging HP numbers.

BT-Moto does not produce a part in house. They get others to make a part and brand it BT Moto. That piece of aluminum requires a CNC lathe and it is smooth bore. There is nothing complicated about smooth bore. Smooth bore is NOT what you want for performance. I had these smooth bore velocity stacks on my GSXR engines. I spent 100's of hours testing with various lengths of smooth bore stacks. Wish I could find all those pictures I had of those things laying out when I got ready to sell off all my GSXR parts back in 2014 and 2015.

Alpha Racing does have some CNC machines I have seen in some pictures of their shop area, but it is my guess that they do not actually make these velocity stacks in house either. Their stack is not smooth bore. It is as you would want a diagonal line cut from top of flow to bottom of flow. What this does is create a vortex effect in the air flow which is suppose to create velocity of the air and turbulence. Porting of the intake side of a cylinder head is not mirror smooth. There is a roughness for the intake side for a reason. It creates turbulence which keeps the fuel atomization from collecting on the walls. We dont have direct port injection on these motorcycles 'yet' .. I am sure it is coming.

IF you are going to do a smooth bore stack you are in competition with what BMW Motorrad already designed. Now you are saying that with the 1000's upon 1000's of hours put into the development of the K67 engine, you are going to be better than BMW Motorrad and come up with a smooth bore velocity stack that makes more power than BMW Motorrad posted. Did anyone take the plastic stack and lay it next to the aluminum BT Moto stack and wonder what height of measure made BT Moto say this works better than the hours upon hours of Motorrad engineers development?

So the Alpha Racing stack. Lets assume that Alpha is working with Motorrad since Motorrad does release alot of parts related to WSBK and other racing associations. You buy your WSBK FIM Motorrad kit from Alpha Racing, not your local BMW dealer. BMW Motorrad makes performance bikes for the street that are used in WSBK and local race clubs. However, the catch we all have to remember is that what sells in the dealership is what is Homologated into WSBK. This is production based bike to the racetrack. Not MotoGP where all out development can be made that takes a long time to reach street performance level.

So maybe the Alpha Velocity stack might create some air flow velocity and make more HP, but what about Torque? Once again guys, we brag about HP and ride the torque. You dont feel 205HP, you feel 89 foot pounds of torque.

I so wish the standard of HP was rewritten today based on a way more scientific method of measuring HP and Torque on a DynoMeter. This is the best rule of thumb found on HP

Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm. H ( HorsePower ) = T (Torque ) x RPM / ( divided by ) 5252, where H is horsepower, T is pound-feet, rpm is how fast the engine is spinning, and 5252 is a constant that makes the units jibe. So, to make more power an engine needs to generate more torque, operate at higher rpm, or both.

Right there is the factor everyone forgets. Torque and RPM. So we have a target RedLine. I use 14000 RPM on the K67. There is no reason to spin that engine over 14000 and expect to achieve anything but more noise and more speed over a distance X which then is based on the gearing and all other factors of the transmission.

@verrucktaxe wants to go 200MPH and it needs to be in 1 mile. The Texas Mile up coming in Fall 2022. I even plan to try to be there supporting him and I am sure I will be making my attempt at 205MPH in the mile. K46 I built vs K67 I built. The K67 stands the better chance at 200 plus in the distance given to do it in. The K67 makes more HP and Torque over XX distance faster. Of course both need to have the bikes slicked up an aero ready to even think about 200MPH in one mile distance.

My K67 Mule 2 has dyno'ed the 203HP over and over, but lets brag that its 205HP I am 2HP light on the calibration. At the rear TIRE guys.

I dont want to buy these velocity stacks from BT and Alpha just to test those as there is no huge HP gains that are going to be found over the BMW Motorrad time spent refining the air box and flow for getting the 193-195HP at the tire they already make. Add my race flash to the ECU and you get 203-205HP at the tire. Now, I will try this M1000RR air box on my S1000RR because I can tell you that from the dyno run I have made on my M1000RR that it is not any different in air box flow, but, the M1000RR ECU coding is different in how it actuates shift cam and the velocity stacks on the transition at 11500 to 12500. I only made one hit per gear for now on my M1000RR to see how my race code for it rated on my Dyno compared to another tuner in California I was working with.

Automotive tire Tire Rim Font Auto part

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim

Rectangle Product Slope Font Line

Mule 2 with the Chinese Muffler. Increase in Torque, slight decrease in HP

Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

Reactions: verrucktaxe

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm sorry that you don't believe my words, but I can assure you that I have done the bench test you can see that you have never tried that air box speaker. I was talking about air box complete with high and low intake horns

1 - 20 of 29 Posts