BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I also had this VDS error code on my 2012 bike and some people mentioned that incorrect voltages from the battery can cause this error code, I load tested my battery and it failed the test in cooler conditions so I replaced the battery and the code went away.
I was also dealing with another issue at the same time which i think wan't related but ti was sue to the ignition switch being faulty.
I have other videos explaining the other issues
Interesting. I have been through 2 batteries to double check that wasn’t the issue. The latest one is directly from bmw and shouldn’t be the issue. My motorcycle doesn’t actually have a vds specific sensor where most do. I will try moving the battery and moving the white device as in the video to see if I have any success with moving it. Question - can you see the vds error come and go on the dash as you move the white device? Any more information about the ignition switch?

·
Registered
21 Posts
BMW moved the Vertical Drop Sensor into that IMU unit behind the battery at some point during the Gen 2 production from my understanding. The harness under your seat near the tank with the cap is meant to be like that. MIne also just has a cap and no actual sensor plugged into it. The reason for my video above was to check that the unit generates the VDS code and cuts the bike out as it should (when you turn the sensor on its side it shuts the engine off to prevent engine damage)
The VDS error only comes up when i tilted the IMU unit, the ignition needed to be powered off and on with the IMU unit upright to make the VDS error disappear.

My issue was that my bike kept cutting out and had ignition delays when i powered it on but then one day whilst riding when it cut out it displayed the VDS code. I still don't think these are related issues though. I have another thread with my ignition issue, have a read: 2012 RR Randomly Stalling & Igniton delays - not...

Questions:
(i) Are you having ignition delay issues or random cutting out?
(ii) It might be worth doing the same test I done, where you remove the IMU unit to confirm its working correctly by tilting it, a small amount of tilt angle shouldn't cause it to cut out but if it does then you know you're problem without even plugging in a diagnostics system. INsecting the harness for rubs or wear whilst your at it (easy 15 min job to do)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm the new guy, I'm also a fellow motorcycle mechanic. I was following along a bit with the conversation and noticed that all sorts of suggestions have been offered up. Such as checking the kickstand switch, the fall over sensor (behind the battery), the battery as a whole, and so on. But one thing that keeps jumping out at me is that... the bike is a 2012, with ~630 miles on it.... and we are in 2020. It is very possible that the fuel pump is dead. If you have checked all these things, and still do not get a pump buzz... it may be worth your while to remove the tank and put the pump on its own dedicated power supply to see if it's dead or not. that is a good troubleshooting tidbit. If the pump is alive, then you can narrow it down to an ECU problem, or a wiring problem..... just my 2 sense.

Always check the easy stuff first, with these machines, it's usually the simplest task that causes the most problems. BMW set these machines up in such a way that it will stop working when something simple is wrong, to prevent riders from breaking them.🤷‍♂️

·
Vendor
3,051 Posts
A GS911 can turn on the fuel pump for 10 second test purposes. Then all the other parameters needing to be met dont matter.

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I am not an expert here.

I have noted that you have stated OBDLink MX+ and a 10 pin adapter will not work on a 2012 S1000RR. Accordingly, I have ordered a GS911 tool. Hopefully that communicates and I’m able to see errors. I will then provide that information here.
Hello, and thank you for the response. I spent $150 based on forum responses that the ODBLink tool had many benefits over the GS911. I’m clearly not an expert here, so I don’t have an argument one way or the other.

Regardless, I tried connecting the tool that many people have had successes with, and it won’t communicate to the bike at all. It keeps giving me a connection error. Not certain what the next step is here, because I’ve read a few similar forum posts that say they’ve brought a !VDS code to the dealer, and they couldn’t connect to the system either.

I’m in Southern California, Orange County if anybody has a tool they would want to loan for the day. Happy to pay.
I have a cheaper ODB2 adapter working with motoscan on my 2011, it does not support 'long messages'(like that one should) it has all the basic functionality. After many headaches I found that there is a loose wire on my diagnostics plug and need to fiddle with it every time I get a reading. You should check that the adapter pinouts are correct and check the connections on the round plug.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
OK. My GS911 showed up. No luck when trying to hook it up via USB. Essentially the same response as the MX+. It's not communicating with the controller.

Error
No response from controller, check that the:
Ignition is ON,
Kill switch is in the RUN position,
NEUTRAL is selected, Immobilizer is deactivated (if fitted)

Of course, I did each of the above, and tried again with the same result.

In other news, over the past few days when waiting for the GS911 tool, I've done the following, and each checked out ok:
Checked all the looms and wires for damage
Checked all plugs for proper connection
Checked ECU for proper connections
Checked fuel pump for proper function

Any ideas? I'm not certain what's next.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I have a cheaper ODB2 adapter working with motoscan on my 2011, it does not support 'long messages'(like that one should) it has all the basic functionality. After many headaches I found that there is a loose wire on my diagnostics plug and need to fiddle with it every time I get a reading. You should check that the adapter pinouts are correct and check the connections on the round plug.
Any additional feedback on how to check that the adapter pinouts are correct and that the connections on the round plug are solid? They all appear to be, but maybe I'm missing something?

Updated (photo of wiring):

Updated (multi meter readings):
Ignition off
Red- 13.5V
Green- 00.1mV
Brown/black- .6V

Ignition on
Red- 12.8V
Green- 12.6V
Brown/black- 11.6V

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Disconnect IMU, and check if you can connect to ecu.
Check also IMU wireing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Disconnect IMU, and check if you can connect to ecu.
Check also IMU wireing.
Checked wiring for voltage on 15T and 30T connections with ignition on and off. All is ok.
Attempted to connect with imu disconnected. No difference (no communication).
Also attempted to connect with abs disconnected for fun. Also no difference (no communication).

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,051 Posts
The BMW BOSCH heel sensor?
Here is the result of testing this item today in my 2014.

Unplug it and the VDS comes up on the cluster.

Engine starts and runs fine however.

Plug it back in and VDS error goes away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here is the result of testing this item today in my 2014.

Unplug it and the VDS comes up on the cluster.

Engine starts and runs fine however.

Plug it back in and VDS error goes away.
Tried this as well as the abs. Both didn’t work in my case for 2012. My ecu, dash, and key are in the mail on the way to you.

Thank you

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any additional feedback on how to check that the adapter pinouts are correct and that the connections on the round plug are solid? They all appear to be, but maybe I'm missing something?
Like from this post, but I think 4 and 5 are supposed to be ground -

I just confirmed that the adapter cable I had was correct, then I discovered my bad wiring. I am guessing that the odb mx+ requires an adapter. This is the one I got from amazon(not recommending it, mine just happens to work) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6KXAPS was 15 bucks cheaper in the winter

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering if this issue was ever resolved. From reading through the post it seems that I have the exact same issue and cannot get anything to work.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I was wondering if this issue was ever resolved. From reading through the post it seems that I have the exact same issue and cannot get anything to work.
What have you done/tested/measured, and what were the results?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts