BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

New member here in Southern California (Costa Mesa), and owner of a 2012 S1000RR with 639 miles (I know, barely ridden).

The bike is currently having a VDS! error issue. I have done a bunch of research and searching on forums and here, but no luck with a solution so far. Lots of suggestions.

My bikes has been covered in a garage, and has never been down. The bike was sitting for awhile, and I've tried the fixes most of the forums point to as the culprit to this error code:

1) I've swapped the battery. Brand new directly from the bmw dealer and reading 13V on a multi meter.
2) Checked all the fuses. All are good, including the 4S.
3) The bike does not have the sensor most people point to as the fix to place it pointing up. (just a cap - see photos for OEM installation location).
4) Bike does not have an alarm installed.

The bike essentially acts dead. No fuel pump noise, nothing except the in the instrument panel when the key is turned. I read a similar post where @BMW_388 was providing very insightful information but there was no final solution posted.

I’m hoping that somebody on here can point me in the right direction, or is in Southern California and would be willing to help. I don't have a trailer, so getting it to the dealer would be difficult.

Thank you, and I appreciate the forum support.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,282 Posts
Right. Since you have done all of that. Might I add, a fault scan with a GS911 to speed things up.

Conditions required to start:
Key code is matched by the DME via the ring antenna (EWS)
Side stand switch status checked by DME
Transmission Position Switch checked by DME
Clutch switch (if in gear) checked by DME
The lean angle sensor which is behind the battery will obviously need to be working for this also.

When the ignition is turned on it sends power to the DME. Then the DME will make sure the key code matches the code stored in the DME using the ring antenna which is the EWS. If it matches then it will also look at the side stand switch, the transmission position switch for neutral or gear, then the clutch switch if in gear. If this is all good. You also get fuel pump prime. Since you have no fuel pump prime. The DME is not happy with one of the above. I don't see a green Neutral light in your picture nor do I see a N indicator on the dash display. I also don't know if the side stand switch is working correctly here. You can check status on most of this with a GS911. Or wire the side stand switch shut to eliminate it. It is still a big possibility that the lean angle sensor is faulty here. A fault scan would help a lot to prove that. Let's also hope that a 2012 bike with 600 miles doesn't have a failed fuel pump either from sitting because the DME will switch off power to that if it over draws or shorts. Trusting fuses are good like you said.

Bottom line. Fault scan. Then go from there. Always fault scan.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I had VDS-problem in 2011, because IMU-unit (behind battery)/ wireing was not working.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right. Since you have done all of that. Might I add, a fault scan with a GS911 to speed things up.

Conditions required to start:
Key code is matched by the DME via the ring antenna (EWS)
Side stand switch status checked by DME
Transmission Position Switch checked by DME
Clutch switch (if in gear) checked by DME
The lean angle sensor which is behind the battery will obviously need to be working for this also.

When the ignition is turned on it sends power to the DME. Then the DME will make sure the key code matches the code stored in the DME using the ring antenna which is the EWS. If it matches then it will also look at the side stand switch, the transmission position switch for neutral or gear, then the clutch switch if in gear. If this is all good. You also get fuel pump prime. Since you have no fuel pump prime. The DME is not happy with one of the above. I don't see a green Neutral light in your picture nor do I see a N indicator on the dash display. I also don't know if the side stand switch is working correctly here. You can check status on most of this with a GS911. Or wire the side stand switch shut to eliminate it. It is still a big possibility that the lean angle sensor is faulty here. A fault scan would help a lot to prove that. Let's also hope that a 2012 bike with 600 miles doesn't have a failed fuel pump either from sitting because the DME will switch off power to that if it over draws or shorts. Trusting fuses are good like you said.

Bottom line. Fault scan. Then go from there. Always fault scan.
Hello, Benny! Thank you for the response.

Fault scan was my next order of operations. It sounds like that will pin point where the problem actually is residing. I have read some posts where the dealers can’t get a bike with a !VDS code to communicate, which is then traced to wire / loom issues. I have checked the lean sensor, unplugged, visually checked the wires, then set it back up again. All appeared ok.

I will say, here’s the things that have struck me as odd:
  • Theres no sound from the fuel pump, at all, when turned in.
  • I put some gas into the tank, to make sure that was not the issue, and the low fuel indicator still comes on (intermittently).
  • I have tried turning the key (both of them) on in all the following configurations - side stand down in neutral, side stand down in first, side stand up in neutral, side stand up in first. No luck with any of them, but also note that the neutral indicator was not working.
  • Early in the process, when I thought it was battery related, I hooked it up to my car to try to jump it. 1x the system showed the bike in neutral via the indicator and allowed me to select a ride mode. BUT, it still didn’t start the fuel pump or allow the engine to fire. Haven’t gotten this to repeat.
I don’t own or have access it a GS911 tool. I did however order an MX+ tool, adapter, and plan to buy motoScan. Do you have any insight to if this will provide similar results? From the posts I’ve seen, it could, but nobody has specifically spoken about its use with a !VDS error. This error seems to cover a huge range of issues, despite the manual being very specific about its causes.

·
Administrator
7,282 Posts
Motoscan should give you fault codes.

You are correct about VDS being a lot of different things. I think we check faults and then decide. Make note of what faults you get and we can work from there. We can then clear them and see which ones return to narrow it down. Right now my concern is no fuel pump or full dash working. Its like whatever has caused the VDS error is also stopping the DME from powering up the fuel pump and other electronics. Lets hope its not a DME. Its like its missing one of its key criteria for engine start. We just need to narrow down which one.

·
Vendor
3,017 Posts
VDS on 10-14 is so difficult to trouble shoot over the forum responses. You have got to get a 'good' scantool. I have only used the GS911 and the Dealer software. The GS911 is the closest to be almost right in scanning code issues. So people get those $10 BlueTooth connection devices and free downloads of phone apps and what can you expect for nearly free? It just does not work as good as the GS911.

Error codes dont mean it is that exact hardware issue either. So it a direction and experience that brings results. Get a GS911 to scan the thing.

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
VDS on 10-14 is so difficult to trouble shoot over the forum responses. You have got to get a 'good' scantool. I have only used the GS911 and the Dealer software. The GS911 is the closest to be almost right in scanning code issues. So people get those $10 BlueTooth connection devices and free downloads of phone apps and what can you expect for nearly free? It just does not work as good as the GS911.

Error codes dont mean it is that exact hardware issue either. So it a direction and experience that brings results. Get a GS911 to scan the thing.
Hello, and thank you for the response. I spent $150 based on forum responses that the ODBLink tool had many benefits over the GS911. I’m clearly not an expert here, so I don’t have an argument one way or the other.

Regardless, I tried connecting the tool that many people have had successes with, and it won’t communicate to the bike at all. It keeps giving me a connection error. Not certain what the next step is here, because I’ve read a few similar forum posts that say they’ve brought a !VDS code to the dealer, and they couldn’t connect to the system either.

I’m in Southern California, Orange County if anybody has a tool they would want to loan for the day. Happy to pay.

·
Vendor
3,017 Posts
The K series R series is not the same as S series. It takes alot of work to make a scan tool work on all platforms.

·
Vendor
3,017 Posts
Hello, and thank you for the response. I spent $150 based on forum responses that the ODBLink tool had many benefits over the GS911. I’m clearly not an expert here, so I don’t have an argument one way or the other.

Regardless, I tried connecting the tool that many people have had successes with, and it won’t communicate to the bike at all. It keeps giving me a connection error. Not certain what the next step is here, because I’ve read a few similar forum posts that say they’ve brought a !VDS code to the dealer, and they couldn’t connect to the system either.

I’m in Southern California, Orange County if anybody has a tool they would want to loan for the day. Happy to pay.
if you brought this OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool

for a BMW, it is fake advertisement that it works on 'all' BMW platforms. Since I am on this forum at least 5 times a day, I can say I have never seen anyone say they purchased this scantool and it works better than a GS911.

The GS911 has been trying to crack the protocols for a very long time. They do the best job at it, and still fall short on perfect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fear T15 is being blocked by the issue we are trying to find. DME is not receiving T15 because of one of those criteria I listed above not being met.
That would be less than optimal. What I fear is I just spent another $400+ on a gs911, due to suggestions that OBDLink is the issue.

·
Administrator
7,282 Posts
In this case. A GS911 won't work either for this issue. But they are a good investment none the less. You need to start manually checking things and eliminating possible issues. But you need to know what you are doing and a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In this case. A GS911 won't work either for this issue. But they are a good investment none the less. You need to start manually checking things and eliminating possible issues. But you need to know what you are doing and a wiring diagram.
I feel like I can follow a set of directions. But I definitely don’t know what the order of operations is next. I have the technical manual from bmw for this model, but unfortunately isn’t much help when searching for this specific error.

Anything you can do to help is appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Are you confident with a multimeter and checking pins and continuity? Do you have access to parts off another bike? Like a friends bike?
Multi meter, no problem.
Spare parts laying around, or access to a bike that somebody would let me poke and prod, unfortunately no.

·
Vendor
3,017 Posts
Let me straighten out some terminology here.

The BMW 12 volt lines are called KL15 and KL30. They stand for the K line. K line is very important to communication protocols.

The KL15 is active as long as the cluster came on. The fuel pump will not come on if the auxiliary switch on the twist grip is in the ENGINE OFF position. It is in the middle on position, the fuel pump can charge, but, if the fuel pressure is registered at the ECU enough BAR, the fuel pump will not come on either. I could explain and explain this fuel pump issue, but the real point is that KL15 is on and active as long as the cluster is on. The fuel pump will not charge if the bike is in gear and on the side stand. ( I bet no one threw that one )

The GS911 can read between the lines. Lets say right now you have this issue of VDS no start. The GS911 only needs to see the key on and KL15 active. KL30 is your 12 volt all the time line. That is why in ISTA when self switching of the ignition switch system came about with the BMSX ECU which was 2015 S1000RR the key no on longer had to be manual switched by hand on and off. The KL15 was controlled by the ECU.

Now, the 10-14 can control the KL15 also. Especially in a DME FUSE ERROR level 3. The DME is shut down. Get a scan tool to see if DME FUSE ERROR 3 is there. Then I have to fix it because the dealer cannot. Well, they will try to sell you an ECU at least.

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me straighten out some terminology here.

The BMW 12 volt lines are called KL15 and KL30. They stand for the K line. K line is very important to communication protocols.

The KL15 is active as long as the cluster came on. The fuel pump will not come on if the auxiliary switch on the twist grip is in the ENGINE OFF position. It is in the middle on position, the fuel pump can charge, but, if the fuel pressure is registered at the ECU enough BAR, the fuel pump will not come on either. I could explain and explain this fuel pump issue, but the real point is that KL15 is on and active as long as the cluster is on. The fuel pump will not charge if the bike is in gear and on the side stand. ( I bet no one threw that one )

The GS911 can read between the lines. Lets say right now you have this issue of VDS no start. The GS911 only needs to see the key on and KL15 active. KL30 is your 12 volt all the time line. That is why in ISTA when self switching of the ignition switch system came about with the BMSX ECU which was 2015 S1000RR the key no on longer had to be manual switched by hand on and off. The KL15 was controlled by the ECU.

Now, the 10-14 can control the KL15 also. Especially in a DME FUSE ERROR level 3. The DME is shut down. Get a scan tool to see if DME FUSE ERROR 3 is there. Then I have to fix it because the dealer cannot. Well, they will try to sell you an ECU at least.
Thanks for the feedback. I am not an expert here.

I have noted that you have stated OBDLink MX+ and a 10 pin adapter will not work on a 2012 S1000RR. Accordingly, I have ordered a GS911 tool. Hopefully that communicates and I’m able to see errors. I will then provide that information here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also had this VDS error code on my 2012 bike and some people mentioned that incorrect voltages from the battery can cause this error code, I load tested my battery and it failed the test in cooler conditions so I replaced the battery and the code went away.
I was also dealing with another issue at the same time which i think wan't related but ti was sue to the ignition switch being faulty.
I have other videos explaining the other issues

1 - 20 of 41 Posts