BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, see below better pics. Also, the tachometer and lights just keep flicking on and off now that i removed the OEM sensor and put it back. That does not look like the drop sensor accessory has been added.

Now its worse. Removed battery to get to OEM sensor, removed it, simply looked at the wires to make sure none disconnected etc. All was good. Replaced OEM sensor behind battery, replaced batter, Turned ignition on and now display and rear brake lights just blink. Anyone had this problem?

Could it be the OEM lean angle sensor?

Ok, here are the pics. The sensor does not looked moved. And the Slick plug is the red one. I did notice the engine ight and brake light on too. I just drained fluid in front brakes so I know why that one is on but the engine light, I do not. The bike makes a click/clunk noise when I try to start it but no more. After a few times the VDS!!! displays. What now? I hope this helps you so it helps me.

Ok, I have a VDS code on display. Bike has not been down. Fairing was taken off and put back on. That is it. Now bike does not start. I see the "VDS" code on display. How do you get rid of it? Bike wont start with this code. I have switched ignition on/off and emergency switch on/off, still bike does not start and code is still there. Does this have to go to the dealer? If so this is BS.. That is free money to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Where is the drop sensor located? If this is an added accessory I dont think this bike has one. I bought it used. I looked on the right side of the bike behind the tank and there is nothing there in the same location as the Slick accessory on the left side.

Have you checked that the drop sensor is still attached as it should be?

Another poster had a similar problem;
http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/8042-drop-sensor-issue.html

If you do have to take it to a dealer I'd be very surprised if they charged you for sorting it out. It should be evident that you didn't drop the bike so it'll get fixed for free.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is nothing added on the right like the slick plug. I saw the pick of the accesssory and I dont think this bike had it. What could be unplugged from removing fairing that would prevent it from starting?

Have you checked that the drop sensor is still attached as it should be?

Another poster had a similar problem;
http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/8042-drop-sensor-issue.html

If you do have to take it to a dealer I'd be very surprised if they charged you for sorting it out. It should be evident that you didn't drop the bike so it'll get fixed for free.

Hope you get it sorted.
under your seat on the opposite side to your slick plug..

are you sure there is nothing left unplugged elsewhere....

·
Registered
604 Posts
There is nothing added on the right like the slick plug. I saw the pick of the accesssory and I dont think this bike had it. What could be unplugged from removing fairing that would prevent it from starting?
The drop sensor wasn't an optional accessory. It's fitted so the bike cuts out if it goes down. That in addition to a revised breather tube to help prevent hydrolocking. Early bikes had neither and while I don't think it was a full recall for both parts they should've been fitted by the dealer if it's been back for a service.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If it shows VDS then the bike has had one installed. It is probably on the bike somewhere near where it should be as described in the above posts. It is probably not in its correct location and that is why you are getting the VDS in the dash.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is that possible? Doesnt there have to be a connector for it?

If it shows VDS then the bike has had one installed. It is probably on the bike somewhere near where it should be as described in the above posts. It is probably not in its correct location and that is why you are getting the VDS in the dash.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The drop sensor should be vertical, but yours is not located in the clip on the opposite side of the slick plug.

Go to the dealer and make them fix it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
How is that possible? Doesnt there have to be a connector for it?
I was thinking that it is still there but not located in its bracke where it should be. It would be on a small length of wire coming off of the main harness so it should be fairly visible and probably dangling somewhere where it should be mounted. I saw in another thread where you installed some suspension. Did you have the subframe moved up? Did you remove the tank? Doing either of these can cause it to be dislodged.

Not to sound condescending but the bike was running before, correct?

Give it another look see.

Just looked at the picture. The one showing the tank. The sensor is at the bottom right of the picture. Purplish colored wires (two). Move it to the clip position just above it in the picture. Use a zip tie to keep it in the holder!!

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Viperclaw is right.

Check out this thread on installation.

Maybe my pictures will guide you to finding where yours went. The connector is the one with the purple wires, but your picture chops off the actual chip - which could have been knocked out as well as knocked out of the clip?

FYI, the drop sensor was a customer paid option on bikes before June, 2010, and required dealer activation when installed.

·
Registered
755 Posts
OK. This has happened to my bike now. Nothing taken apart recently. Has been 500 miles since accident. Suddenly, this morning I have the VDS ! code. I took off the seat and the sensor is in the right place. I took the sensor apart and put it back and nothing. I have ordered a replacement sensor. I am too lazy to trailer the bike down to the dealer, so hopefully, this is the fix.

Would this be the only cause for this code?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Do you mean VDS? If so then yes this is pretty much the only problem. What kind of accident? Have you replaced anything?
Sorry, yeah "VDS !". Rear ended 5 weeks or so ago. Only cosmetic damage, no major damage. Bike has been running smooth for the last two weeks. This morning, the bike would not start and showed that code. As above, I have done 500 miles since the accident with no issues.

Only other issue was the right blinker would turn on while driving. Turned out to be a little short by the left blinker assembly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not yet. It is at the shop now. They are putting all the recall parts on it. And I got a wiring harness coming in to stop them from using that as an excuse not to work on it. But they want to install the harness as well for $400.

Did you get this sorted out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
vdc code

Hello i have the same problem i calt bmw motorrad and they advised me to use the spare key because orginle key does not work with the UCE.
If the engine does not start you must go to the dealer to reinstall your keys.

VDC: Is a engine lock from your ECU.
greets the netherlands

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, got everything all sorted out. I can give enough CONGRATS to the shop here in my area on cobb parkway. My first impression was not a good one but once they saw me a few times and of course purchased things there, they are like family. I put the harness on, they then completed the recall parts, come to find out battery was not strong enough, they put it on charger right in front of me,,bought a new battery, bike started right up. Bike is running like a BMW. LOL Thanks all!!!

Do you mean VDS? If so then yes this is pretty much the only problem. What kind of accident? Have you replaced anything?

·
Registered
62 Posts
VDS!

I was pulling out of parking spot yesterday and bike stopped running and wouldn't start.
I used spare valet key and spare other key, still nothing.

I checked under seat and sensor is in place and no loose wires, unplugged and plugged it back in and still nothing.

So now its at BMW waiting to get sorted, and hopefully(warranty):confused: they will check if my bike is included in the fuel pump leak also......crossing my fingers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts