BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
VDS Code, was actualy a weak battery

Long story short- a VDS code can erroneously show from a low battery and repeated cranking.

Got stranded a few miles from home yesterday on my 2013 HP4. Cranked up normally at home and I drove to get gas before going on a ride. Filled up and when I went to crank it I got the normal dash start up and then a slow click and dash going on and off. Tried a few times and then I got the VDS! error and she wont do anything. If you repeat with key off then on it will do the same thing.

So, I pulled off to the side to figure it out. VDS is Vertical Down Sensor- drop sensor. Further research led me to take seat off, and make sure it was in the proper position and plugged in, check fuses under tail cover, etc. All was good. So, I figured I was dead in the water with a bad sensor.

I tried it one more time and it occurred to me that the clicking sounded just like when the battery is low. When it happens at home I just throw the charger on it for a while and ride off. On the road I didnt have that option so I kept trying to crank it. That eventually brought up the VDS code. I called my buddy and had him bring a jumper box and jump started the bike and it fired right up. So I guess Im getting a new battery. It will go dead if the bike sits more than a week or so.

Side note: while researching the problem on the road, all of the threads referred to the sensor location opposite the slick plug. This is not helpful if you dont know what the slick plug looks like. The sensor is black, on the right side, just behind the fuel tank, and should be zip tied to the bracket.

·
Administrator
6,636 Posts
One would assume that most people who own these bikes have the slick plug installed upon completion of the first service. Here are some pics (from old threads) for future reference. Not to be confused with the angular rate sensor which is located directly behind the battery. Once a battery has been dead flat, it is cactus. Can be charged but will not survive a load test.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Helpful pics. Odd thing tho. My sensor is mounted horizontal. Always has been. Threads all say vertical. I may post a pic later.
Should be vertical. Even in the Repair Manual it shows as vertical.
As bennymx said, it should be vertical otherwise the bike won't even start, my friends tried to start a bike without success for a whole day after reinstalling the engine and wiring because the sensor was not installed vertical! I just put it as it should be and it started immediately!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As bennymx said, it should be vertical otherwise the bike won't even start, my friends tried to start a bike without success for a whole day after reinstalling the engine and wiring because the sensor was not installed vertical! I just put it as it should be and it started immediately!
That's why I said it was odd. It's been in that position since I got the bike used over a year ago and I've never had a problem. I'll investigate further when I put the new battery in. But the thing I'm looking at looks just like the pics of the sensor.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds like you ignored several times your battery was trash. :surprise:

·
Registered
28 Posts
For posterity...

Today the bike wouldn't start and displayed a VDS error. I had a look at the sensor (opposite the slick plug), and it seems I only have a plug with a cap - no sensor (sorry I didn't get a picture with the cap off). It is also mounted horizontally, though I do see the clip where it may be meant to go.

I threw it on the charger, and after a few minutes I turned the key and now could hear the fuel pump running. I figured it must be the battery. Sure enough, it only had about 6 volts. I replaced it with a lightweight Li-Ion job, and everything is back to normal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts