BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
at 17, my uncle and i drove his brand new '89 stang 5.0 from IA to CO and saw all the NE state patrols driving the same car. plenty of unmarked camaros/stangs around here too. great we pay extra tax $ so they can create sneaky vehicles to fck us.
Yeah, IMO unmarked cars should NEVER be allowed to be used for traffic enforcement. That's BS. I believe some states have regulations against that practice. When the 5.0's came out they might as well have been unmarked because it took everyone a while to get used to seeing them.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
exactly. be obvious so i know who you are for when i need you, and when i don't.

Reactions: ZZZ

·
Registered
785 Posts
Just got my Uniden R7 today. If I decide to try it on either bike I'll let y'all know. The KTM is nice in that it already comes with a cigarette lighter and I can put a dual-plug USB plug in it for this and my Walkman. My GPS I'll hardwire in to the existing pigtails (gotta pull the headlight assy apart though to get to them - thanks KTM...).

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just got my Uniden R7 today. If I decide to try it on either bike I'll let y'all know. The KTM is nice in that it already comes with a cigarette lighter and I can put a dual-plug USB plug in it for this and my Walkman. My GPS I'll hardwire in to the existing pigtails (gotta pull the headlight assy apart though to get to them - thanks KTM...).
now you didn't really think you were gonna say "walkman" in 2021 and not catch a ribbing over it, were you? Rib administered haha.

·
Registered
785 Posts
now you didn't really think you were gonna say "walkman" in 2021 and not catch a ribbing over it, were you? Rib administered haha.
LOL Hey, I like Texas ribs! Oh, wait... :) Yeah, kinda dating myslelf with that, but I love the damn thing. What I did find was that when bluetooth pairing it with my Cardo Packtalk instead of using headphones (Yay, no wires!) it kills the battery WAY faster. It must use a ton of energy broadcasting... So I bought an extra large USB battery to fix that and will most likely just run the USB to my cigarette lighter port on the KTM.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
LOL Hey, I like Texas ribs! Oh, wait... :) Yeah, kinda dating myslelf with that, but I love the damn thing. What I did find was that when bluetooth pairing it with my Cardo Packtalk instead of using headphones (Yay, no wires!) it kills the battery WAY faster. It must use a ton of energy broadcasting... So I bought an extra large USB battery to fix that and will most likely just run the USB to my cigarette lighter port on the KTM.
couldn't resist bro! cardo packtalk? that like the sena 30k i have on my helmet? when i did the cross country, i had a switched relay for isolation powering a double usb for the helmet sena and phone charging as well as the V1, FLIR cam and thermal screen on the tank all going the whole 33 hours, so you should be fine. phone/helmet BT dont' take that much juice.

·
Registered
785 Posts
couldn't resist bro! cardo packtalk? that like the sena 30k i have on my helmet? when i did the cross country, i had a switched relay for isolation powering a double usb for the helmet sena and phone charging as well as the V1, FLIR cam and thermal screen on the tank all going the whole 33 hours, so you should be fine. phone/helmet BT dont' take that much juice.
Yeah, like the Sena, and I was going to get one of those after hearing good things about them for years, but this recent Cardo rated a lot higher in all the recent reviews. So far I like it, but haven't gotten a chance to try out it's "communication" capabilities as nobody else here has one. My buddy further up North with a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R and his friend with a 700 Tenere each bought one so later this spring I'll get to try talking with them. I bought a "duo" pack so I had a unit for both street and ADV helmets. My buddy and I are planning on a Trip to Moab to ride for 2-3 full days while there so it should get a workout. I'll have my Garmin Zumo XT mounted by then too so I'll be able to guide us thru the trails. Should be a blast!

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah, like the Sena, and I was going to get one of those after hearing good things about them for years, but this recent Cardo rated a lot higher in all the recent reviews. So far I like it, but haven't gotten a chance to try out it's "communication" capabilities as nobody else here has one. My buddy further up North with a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R and his friend with a 700 Tenere each bought one so later this spring I'll get to try talking with them. I bought a "duo" pack so I had a unit for both street and ADV helmets. My buddy and I are planning on a Trip to Moab to ride for 2-3 full days while there so it should get a workout. I'll have my Garmin Zumo XT mounted by then too so I'll be able to guide us thru the trails. Should be a blast!
sounds cool! never used the intercom of the senas, but a buddy of mine does every time they go to the dragon. He said the 30k is a big improvement over the old 10mhr or whatever.

·
Registered
785 Posts
sounds cool! never used the intercom of the senas, but a buddy of mine does every time they go to the dragon. He said the 30k is a big improvement over the old 10mhr or whatever.
I remember that back in the mid-'80's intercoms first came out. The ones we used, which were cheaper, were these hockey puck sized ones you stuck to the back of your helmet, with this almost foot long wire antenna sticking straight up! They were also "simplex" in operation (only one person could talk at a time, unlike a "duplex" phone), but despite those limitations they were great for the time. Then one by one ours broke and we never got new ones. Then when I first moved back to CO in '30, I got a set of wired communicators for me and my X. Having to plug and unplug the wire when she got on the bike was an annoyance, but, it was a cheap system and we were broke at the time so it worked. They that kinda fell apart and I dumped the X. So, now, I look forward to using this latest generation of high-tech communicators. It will be nice being able to talk to fellow riders about upcoming turns, etc. on the times I ride with people with intercoms. The Cardo's will also pair with Sena's and others, but via a Bluetooth connection, which I guess isn't quite as good. So far I like not having a wire running up my arm from my Walkman to my earbuds, and having the hassle of taking those out before taking the helmet off and sometimes losing the rubber pieces. Sometimes the signal drops out every few minutes for a second or so, which is annoying, but less so than dealing with the wire. And I've solved the Walkman battery issue with either the UBS battery or eventually the hardwired solution.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
i thought i was hitech when i went from my molded to my ear tactical wired earbuds years ago to the first sena. i know Tracer said those old senas on intercom were like that where only one could talk at a time, and there was something about having to add ppl in the order they were riding or something? sounded like a pain to me. like any tech, if it works, great, if not, more aggravating than it's worth.

hope that all works well for you. you'll find out soon enough!

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
216 Posts
Many years ago, can't even remember the brand name, there was a company which manufactured intercom systems for motorcycle racing environments. Rider/racer had a communication puck attached to racing suit wired to speakers/microphone in helmet. Folks in the race pit could communicate with racer via radio frequency (similar to F1 today). Voice came across clear (at least with the demos). It was a perfect solution, but a very expensive solution. Opted not to get it. Don't even know if the company is still in business today. It would be a great option (at least for me) compared to the Sena and Cardo products, which I find very frustrating on unreliable. I just want to speak to my spousal unit when she is riding with me.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Many years ago, can't even remember the brand name, there was a company which manufactured intercom systems for motorcycle racing environments. Rider/racer had a communication puck attached to racing suit wired to speakers/microphone in helmet. Folks in the race pit could communicate with racer via radio frequency (similar to F1 today). Voice came across clear (at least with the demos). It was a perfect solution, but a very expensive solution. Opted not to get it. Don't even know if the company is still in business today. It would be a great option (at least for me) compared to the Sena and Cardo products, which I find very frustrating on unreliable. I just want to speak to my spousal unit when she is riding with me.
that's interesting. wonder what they did back then to be more reliable than what's available today? also have to watch on a track for cross talk, etc. i'd think?

·
Registered
216 Posts
that's interesting. wonder what they did back then to be more reliable than what's available today? also have to watch on a track for cross talk, etc. i'd think?
I believe they were using radio frequencies. At the time, Bluetooth was not an option. I have owned Sena and Cardo, and I am baffled how they make it so complicated/unreliable when the technology has been around for at least 10 years.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I believe they were using radio frequencies. At the time, Bluetooth was not an option. I have owned Sena and Cardo, and I am baffled how they make it so complicated/unreliable when the technology has been around for at least 10 years.
that makes sense, worked at the time anyway for what they needed. sena uses bluetooth to the helmet, but i think (?) it's rf to each other, not through the phone gsm, i think anyway. mine is pretty solid from phone to sena, but i have zero experience doing the rider to rider. might be one of those man with one eye in the land of the blind is king deals

·
Registered
216 Posts
that makes sense, worked at the time anyway for what they needed. sena uses bluetooth to the helmet, but i think (?) it's rf to each other, not through the phone gsm, i think anyway. mine is pretty solid from phone to sena, but i have zero experience doing the rider to rider. might be one of those man with one eye in the land of the blind is king deals
When I use mine, it is mostly to listen to music and gps instructions (and it works fine). Also use it when my wife is a pillion. But then, if there is a lot of cross wind, the conversation quickly degrades into an exchange of "what did you say?". So we go back to hand signals or taps on the helmet. There has to be a better solutions out there, I just don't know what it is. :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
When I use mine, it is mostly to listen to music and gps instructions (and it works fine). Also use it when my wife is a pillion. But then, if there is a lot of cross wind, the conversation quickly degrades into an exchange of "what did you say?". So we go back to hand signals or taps on the helmet. There has to be a better solutions out there, I just don't know what it is. :)
Maybe you had a bad set? Was this a long time ago? I've never heard of people having issues like you mentioned with the new Packtalks. They supposedly work great. From all I've read, the Cardo's work great, I just haven't been able to try it out personally yet. ALL of those use RF, they might just use different bands (frequencies). When you're linked to other Cardo users, it's a proprietary RF signal, amongst the group. When you pair with a Sena, or other, it's Bluetooth's proprietary signal which is still RF technology. Any communicator is going to be RF. Your cell phone is RF, it's just sending an RF signal to a tower, which sends an RF signal back.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
again, no experience with intercom, but my phone calls blasting down the road are great on it. intercom must just be a different animal. i use mine for music and v1 alerts and a very rare phone call. that's part of why i don't think i'd like the intercom. seems like my buddy said there's some deal where if you're listening to music, you're offline for intercom, or the intercom will interrupt your music or something. that would be as annoying as phone calls are to me in daily life i think haha

·
Registered
216 Posts
again, no experience with intercom, but my phone calls blasting down the road are great on it. intercom must just be a different animal. i use mine for music and v1 alerts and a very rare phone call. that's part of why i don't think i'd like the intercom. seems like my buddy said there's some deal where if you're listening to music, you're offline for intercom, or the intercom will interrupt your music or something. that would be as annoying as phone calls are to me in daily life i think haha
Only time I use intercom is when my wife is onboard. Otherwise, only for music and gps instructions (when needed and it works fine in those areas). Try not to answer phone calls while riding. As it is, about 99% of all my incoming calls are spam/scams. If it is important they will leave a voicemail. :) Miss the days when one would leave the house and the phone would stay behind with an answering machine.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Only time I use intercom is when my wife is onboard. Otherwise, only for music and gps instructions (when needed and it works fine in those areas). Try not to answer phone calls while riding. As it is, about 99% of all my incoming calls are spam/scams. If it is important they will leave a voicemail. :) Miss the days when one would leave the house and the phone would stay behind with an answering machine.
My buddy, who just HAS to stay connected no matter what (you know, the type that will rush to answer a call or text when you're [email protected]<king TALKING to them - annoying AF), just HAS to pair his phone to everything. Me, I'll answer a call in my car only IF it's important, and leave my phone in my tankbag when I ride. I would never even think of answering, let alone making, a call while riding. I ride to get AWAY from that sh!te. I'll check and/or make calls when I stop for any length.

I'd imagine that yes, your music would be interrupted when the GPS talks to you, or your wife or buddy says something, but it HAS to, so, I'm sure you get used to it even if it's a tad annoying. I mean, if your wife or buddy was super chatty, it'd probably be annoying AF anyway, but I'm not gonna go there...except to say there's always the "mute" button function cleverly disguised as random signal drop-out.... :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My buddy, who just HAS to stay connected no matter what (you know, the type that will rush to answer a call or text when you're [email protected]<king TALKING to them - annoying AF), just HAS to pair his phone to everything. Me, I'll answer a call in my car only IF it's important, and leave my phone in my tankbag when I ride. I would never even think of answering, let alone making, a call while riding. I ride to get AWAY from that sh!te. I'll check and/or make calls when I stop for any length.

I'd imagine that yes, your music would be interrupted when the GPS talks to you, or your wife or buddy says something, but it HAS to, so, I'm sure you get used to it even if it's a tad annoying. I mean, if your wife or buddy was super chatty, it'd probably be annoying AF anyway, but I'm not gonna go there...except to say there's always the "mute" button function cleverly disguised as random signal drop-out.... :ROFLMAO:
fair. i remember my exwife being on the back of the first chopper i built griping about something and i said i would never build a chopper with a passenger seat again for that reason haha.

i used the phone call ability on the sena when i did the cross country cuz i needed to coordinate stuff, but generally yes, i ignore it for the same reason, riding to get away from humans. However, there have been a couple times i've just been on a cruise through the back roads and talked to folks or a buddy to make efficient use of the travel time. very rare though.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts