BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I saw a 2015 - 2016 s1000rr on youtube that demonstrates how they can update the units Miles to KM and F to C through the dash. But I am unable to find such options on my 2018. Is there a way I can do this myself without having to pay the BMW tax to get them to hook it up to the computer and change it over in all of 5 seconds.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Vendor
3,886 Posts
Hi Guys,
I saw a 2015 - 2016 s1000rr on youtube that demonstrates how they can update the units Miles to KM and F to C through the dash. But I am unable to find such options on my 2018. Is there a way I can do this myself without having to pay the BMW tax to get them to hook it up to the computer and change it over in all of 5 seconds.

Thanks,
Brad
Its does not work that way for the dealer to change over the cluster from Imperial to Metric. the BMW dealers actually cannot do it on the 15-19's. The 12-14 can be changed by the dealer software.

I can do the conversion. You have to send the ECU, Ignition Switch, Cluster, and one key.

·
Vendor
3,886 Posts
You can do it through the dash.
USA does not get that feature.

ISTA does not allow this single unit of measurement change to be added to KOMBI on the 15-19 K46.

I know how to add it outside the ISTA software.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,272 Posts
That's annoying. Would have expected it to be the same. Even a dealer should be able to change it. Obviously they spec'd it that way for a reason and didn't even add the option in ISTA.

·
Administrator
7,164 Posts
Easy to do on the Canadian version, RR, R or XR units can be changed in the menu. Interesting that for some reason this is not possible on the US bikes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Easy to do on the Canadian version, RR, R or XR units can be changed in the menu. Interesting that for some reason this is not possible on the US bikes.

We’re all die hard fans of Imperial I suppose. Interestingly enough, I could have sworn I had the option to change when I first got the bike. My ECU has supposedly been updated twice since then though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great video ty! Unfortunately I don't have this menu option on my cluster. Is your RR from USA? I want to change the clock to 24h but can't figure it out. Anyone know if possible on the GS911?

·
Vendor
3,886 Posts
Its not possible without the proper coding added to a USA model via ISTA or ESYS. If you want it coded correct you can send me your cluster and I can code it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
BMW_338, is that what the dealer did for me? They had to push code to the cluster to read in kilometers and kph? Looking to understand this process.

·
Vendor
3,886 Posts
BMW_338, is that what the dealer did for me? They had to push code to the cluster to read in kilometers and kph? Looking to understand this process.
I am very curious where you found a dealer still using ISTA P .. you cannot push the code to the 2015 and newer for the menu to change units with ISTA+ .. I see you have a 2016 and you are saying a dealer programmed the change over. That is highly based on region the bike was built for. So unless you have a bike that was built for just about any other country but USA, change units no longer comes up in the ISTA+ software to add metric readouts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
BMW Motorcycles Riverside. They did it while I had it in for the first service. 2016 RR, USDM. kph, km odometer. This was performed in 2017. That dealer really takes care of you.

·
Vendor
3,886 Posts
BMW Motorcycles Riverside. They did it while I had it in for the first service. 2016 RR, USDM. kph, km odometer. This was performed in 2017. That dealer really takes care of you.
well that explains how it was done with ISTA P. That software no longer works on the 15 and newer ECU's. So unless you happen to find a dealer that kept an old version before 2018, ISTA P was removed from use. Too many dealers were 'taking care of the customer" and loading things like the metric units and BMW does not want this for some reason.

Today it is only by VIN that the metric units can be loaded to the KOMBI with the dealer. I can get around it with ISTA+, but it takes an ECU with ECE coding to do it. Or I can do it with ESYS which is alot simpler to do and the VIN is no matter. Bad thing about loading custom configurations to a cluster or suspension box, those mods are wiped out if you ever visit the dealer for an update on the ECU.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow that's pretty complicated. I haven't taken the bike to the dealer since then. Just doing my own maintenance.

Just to clarify, ESYS is a custom config? ECE coding is non-USA?

If I go to the dealer now for whatever reason, will my kph and km be reset? Do they update ECUs without telling you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts