BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what would need to be changed on a 2015 to get the same updates as a 2018? ECU, suspension, blip shifter, brake calipers, brake master cylinder? You know where im going with this. How much stuff was actually changed and did it significantly increase its stability and control or smoothness of engine? As far as i know nothing internally changed in the engine correct? Head is the same? Im installing race cams now and with this added power i would like to have added stability and control/ braking power.

·
4,642 Posts
Don't bother, sell what you got, get a 19. Risk, money, time, and effort ain't worth it IMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean a 2014? My 2015 has just about everything except cornering abs.
So it would be safe to say only real thing that was physically updated was the ECU? I had mine updated/ changed with a Brentuning flash anyway which did seem to make the blip shifter more responsive. I thought for sure they would have changed some suspension electronic components to make the DDC work better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would never buy a first year generation again! That is the year they actually put the bike to test in the masses and see the mistakes they made. Look at my 15, heads off because it pushes coolant out the overflow on high speed runs. 16-18 don't do that. Either better head bolts or better more even milling on heads. Im skimming mine to fix it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know someone posted up changes from 15 to 16 on here somewhere i just can't find it. Im sure there is also a list of changes from 16 to 17 and 18.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So ABS PRO is about all that was actually changed from 2015 to 2018? Various sensors are all the same. Why do so many people make it sound like the shifting is smoother on 17-18? Is this all ECU update? No gearing changes or actual shifter changes?

·
Vendor
2,507 Posts
:
Originally Posted by BuiltLikeGoku View Post
I know someone posted up changes from 15 to 16 on here somewhere i just can't find it. Im sure there is also a list of changes from 16 to 17 and 18.
15 to 16 the only change was an additional 4th color scheme that was not available in 2015...black with red inserts.
15 to 16 the only change was an additional 4th color scheme that was not available in 2015...black with red inserts.
There was small changes >>>>>

Was any of it better enough to make you want all the changes? Well, for me it is easy since I can program the ECU's and move hardware from one product year to another. What you try to mix and match, requires updating of the ECU that the dealer cannot do. The techs are taught, get the VIN, provide the proper hardware of the VIN. They dont stand around and research what works with what and why.

Lets look at the 15 being completely reworked from even the nice HP4. BMSX ECU with the TC1797 MPU. 4meg iROM 64k EEProm .. no need for me to list the updates from 2014 into the GEN3 15>, it is extensive.

There was some small changes to the 16. PRO ABS was one of them.

The first released 16 up to June did not get the ABS PRO as factory installed option, and the ABS PUMP is different from the after JUNE builds.

The 16 has a change that I have yet to completely figure out. The ECU was renamed to DME from BMSX that it is on the 2015. They did this based on some software change that would match hardware. However, the hardware change came in mid June 2016. The ABS pump was updated to accommodate the PRO ABS mode in SLICK mode. I had the July produced 2016 ECU and July ABS pump in my 2015. One thing I am not testing is locking up my front brake mid corner leaned over 45 degrees. I have removed that ECU however now and I have my RCK3 / HP power kit'ed version ECU in there all the time on the street. My HP power add in is a Team version just minus the ignition cut DTC.

That is the only change to the 16 I have found. The throttle bodies are the same, the fuel pump is the same.

Now the 17. Completely reworked ECU based on it is the BMSMP with the TC1793 MPU. 4meg iROM and 192k EEProm ... the fuel pump is completely different. Some of the wiring is different in the harness. I do not recommend the average person trying to put 2017 stuff into a 2015/16.... I have, and I know what it takes, but I dont recommend it UNLESS you want RCK3 / HP Power Kit provided that will not void your factory warranty with the dealer installing that.

The throttle bodies and injectors are the same on 17/18 to the 15/16 ..

·
Registered
502 Posts
So ABS PRO is about all that was actually changed from 2015 to 2018? Various sensors are all the same. Why do so many people make it sound like the shifting is smoother on 17-18? Is this all ECU update? No gearing changes or actual shifter changes?

My 15 is fully optioned and I've added the ABS Pro from the dealer.... Apart from some small tweaks to the ABS pump, ECU processing and that huge CAT they added, I'm still more than happy that my 15 is current enough.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks BMW 388! That pretty much lays it all out on the table for me. I figured there couldn't have been a whole lot changed that actually boosted performance. I may look into updating to ABS PRO. Will be upgrading to Brentuning fuel pump eventually to accommodate E85 fuel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts