BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed the big changes just made to the BMW Connected phone app for the 2020 RR? Very cool.

It now captures (if you allow) performance information for your rides such as top speed, top g forces, max lean angles (left and right), etc. It also enables you to replay your ride at any point and rate where you see your map position, acceleration/brake g-force, lean angle, speed, etc. similar to the Sport console display. Here's a quick screen capture after a quick jaunt up a local twisty:

https://i.postimg.cc/5jdnvJ9L/Screenshot-20191205-180349-Connected.jpg

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
That is very cool. It's a lot of what a good GPS lap timer collects. Looking forward to playing with that.

In some places I might worry about the authorities accessing the data it collects! Any idea if that data is retained onboard the bike somewhere that might be discovered after the fact?

·
Vendor
2,507 Posts
and sadly bluetooth and phone are disconnected when you are in Race Pro Modes. So, the data is not collected on the race track like a simple track day where you want to collect such data.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and sadly bluetooth and phone are disconnected when you are in Race Pro Modes. So, the data is not collected on the race track like a simple track day where you want to collect such data.
Yep, I'm about to write a comprehensive review to send to BMW for both the bike and the app/electronics.

There's no reason to disable the BT in Race Pro modes. They apparently have some bizarre belief that this is a safety feature. It's clearly not. Bluetooth obviously has a purpose on the track. You won't be interacting with your phone there, but it is needed to passively capture telemetry data. Also, some of the riding dynamics only available in Race Pro modes have street applicability. ****, sometime you just want to wheelie, which is thwarted by the software in other riding modes.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is very cool. It's a lot of what a good GPS lap timer collects. Looking forward to playing with that.

In some places I might worry about the authorities accessing the data it collects! Any idea if that data is retained onboard the bike somewhere that might be discovered after the fact?
The phone app TOS explicitly say that the data is kept solely on the phone and within the private storage of the app and encrypted to the app. It is not uploaded or otherwise accessible except by the user through the app.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts

The app states "This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease device battery life."
There is a part of me that feels due to our pull toward shiny new objects, we give away everything about ourselves freely and happily. My only concern is that the collected data could be used to set insurance rates and so on, but then again, BMW may use it as a marketing tool to see how their specific bikes are being ridden, by whom and where.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The app states "This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease device battery life."
There is a part of me that feels due to our pull toward shiny new objects, we give away everything about ourselves freely and happily. My only concern is that the collected data could be used to set insurance rates and so on, but then again, BMW may use it as a marketing tool to see how their specific bikes are being ridden, by whom and where.
The app clearly needs to access and store location information when it is operating in the background because it doesn't require you to have your phone app foregrounded to operate. I have my phone on an x-grip and plugged into a USB port installed at my triple-clamp, so I don't worry about batter consumption. All location-consuming apps are otherwise fairly power consumptive.

As for privacy, this app is about as good as they get. Here's the section in question:

You can authorise the app to record your location as long as you are actively using the app or it is open in the background. This information is only stored locally on the app. To use the app, you do not have to agree to record your location but certain features of the app depend on the location information about your mobile device and your vehicle being recorded. If you authorise the app to use your location, navigation via the app is possible (guiding, POI search and position display on the navigation maps). If you allow us to record your location, your journeys will also be recorded in the "activities" section. The "activities" function must be activated manually before the routes can be recorded. All data on the route can be viewed and deleted by the user in the app at any time. Deleting the vehicle profile also removes all associated activities. Please note, in this context, that the continued activation of GPS running in the background can significantly reduce the battery life of your mobile device.

If you have agreed to the recording of your location information, the app will store your location data indefinitely. If you decide not to release the information on your location for the app or the “activities” function is not switched on, the app will no longer record it.
Architecturally it stores its data in the app's encrypted private area. Thus it can only be access by the user running the app. The data is deleted when the app is deleted.

The only data that is uploaded is anonymized summary data - nothing that can be used against you. There are other data that scare me infinitely more, e.g., police can calculate my (average) speed between timestamped toll-tag readings. I'm surprised they haven't done this yet and put me into a supermax.

As for too freely giving up our privacy, this is water way over the dam, or whatever metaphor you wish to use. In the grand scheme of things, BMW is pretty respectful here.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the racing data logged, if one can't log in the race mode?

What in the world was BMW thinking when they created this feature to block the bluetooth from recording in race mode. I mean, who in their right mind will be recording these racing features in rain mode anyway?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Tom, thank you for starting this thread; went out this morning to get the girls a bit dirty and the app really is amazing! I was working on breaking rear traction and happily surprised the software actually records ABS and TC intervention!

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the racing data logged, if one can't log in the race mode?

What in the world was BMW thinking when they created this feature to block the bluetooth from recording in race mode. I mean, who in their right mind will be recording these racing features in rain mode anyway?
If your actually serious out telemetry, you'd get the $800 BMW gps device that goes into the harness and logs everything about the bike.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Of course it's dumb. We all need to complain. Unlike the complaints about the US tune (per EPA regs), this is one they can easily and quickly remedy with the next software update.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your actually serious out telemetry, you'd get the $800 BMW gps device that goes into the harness and logs everything about the bike.
Does the BMW device plug into the OBD2 port, or where?

Anyway, I would rather not buy a separate specialized device when the most current/advanced piece of consumer electronics we regularly own is the very powerful smart phone in our pocket. It has all the requisite capabilities such as connectivity (Bluetooth, WiFi and even USB), GPS, storage, an open app interface, and a really good UI.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It plugs into the odb2 under the seat on the 2020. It works with the professional level bmw telemetry software on computer. It's not a phone thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't seen to get the app to record my rides. It shows that it's connected and reads all my data from the bike that its allowed to read.. however it refuses to record my trips. Anyone else have this issue? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and this has not helped. I do not have a Bluetooth device for my helmet just yet connected to the bike or my phone just my phone connected through Bluetooth to the bike. This should still work right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts