BMW S1000RR Forum banner

181 - 200 of 243 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Gonna pitting near T1 with a couple buddies for labor day and the day after.

@smash adams likes that spot because it has power and is somewhat quiet. On a race day I would consider the quiet important. On a track day I like to be where I can see them release my group on to the track. I have a generator so I'm never looking for a spot with power. I'll make a point of stopping by.

Hopefully you'll be riding your usual group so we can play. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
@smash adams likes that spot because it has power and is somewhat quiet. On a race day I would consider the quiet important. On a track day I like to be where I can see them release my group on to the track. I have a generator so I'm never looking for a spot with power. I'll make a point of stopping by.

Will deft'ly be in a group so we can ride—or rather, so you can show me how fast I should be riding!

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts

It’s also nice to talk with your friends on a track day without saying “WHAT DID YOU SAY?!” after every sentence since you are between two straights and under a sound reflective metal awning :laughing plus the PA system has speakers right by t1 and you can hear all announcements loud and clear :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
My fitness is bad, so my bike form is bad. Putting too much weight into the bars in corners so that I'm uncomfortable getting on the throttle out of them because once the front goes light it starts dancing and I'm worried I'll lose it. TC is at +7 and I never see it come on except to prevent wheelies. Am I supposed to just trust that the front will stay gripping while moving around and that the rear would be the first place to slide when throttling out of a corner?

Still can't lean the bike because no reference point for lean angle that I trust. Need another way to know when I'm at the edge of the tire. I've got about 5mm of unused rubber on the rear on both sides. Having glanced at the dash in the middle of turn 2, I've seen embarrassing live numbers like 35 degrees. Being in a corner for so long gives me enough time to process how little faith I have in not crashing and really evaluate my situation and not bring the bike down enough.

Doing 2:12-15 around THill, not able to; match corner speed with faster riders, get on the throttle early enough because of the terrible rider input (two stage acceleration out of corners because of this). Lose a lot of time around 2, and from 6 to 9. (I give up on 3 because of the off camber nature, and the fantastic black flag in A group on sunday when one guy took at 3 other riders on the entry to 3.)

Going to have to force myself to grab instructors next year every track day. As well as hope I can figure out my back situation and improve my hip flexibility.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
So that was you out there on Sunday. I';m going to give it to you straight in hopes it will help you.

1. Don't practice in A group—head down into B group—no need to compare your performance to those whose pace and and skill level are above yours. You were braking in the middle of T9 which is dangerous—couple of our riders were stood up because of this. Instead, ride in B group where the pace is moderate and you can focus on what you need to work on.

2. Fitness is highly important. I have a bad back/neck and when I don't stretch this affects my ability to turn and feel comfortable moving around on the bike.

3. Am I supposed to just trust that the front will stay gripping while moving around and that the rear would be the first place to slide when throttling out of a corner? Do you mean to say that you are moving around on the the bike while it is leaned over? If so—don't. If you were in A group you must have seen just about all of the group moving faster thru corners while leaned over without the front giving up—so, yes, you need to trust that your tires (track tires I'm assuming) will grip and that you have the proper pressure in them to allow for that kind of grip.

4. Need another way to know when I'm at the edge of the tire. I've got about 5mm of unused rubber on the rear on both sides. Even if your body is not on the side of the bike, your knees (unless you're around my height—5'6") will tell you you're too far leaned over. See my avatar image? That's on a 200/55 tire race DOT—I am near the edge of the tire.

5. Having glanced at the dash in the middle of turn 2, I've seen embarrassing live numbers like 35 degrees. Please don't do this. Especially in A group. This is what causes accidents—not looking where you are going causes people to either go wide or have erratic lines.

6. Doing 2:12-15 around Thill East, not able to; match corner speed with faster riders Again, you're comparing yourself to riders with more experience going very fast. If you're learning to make less than 2:10 on East, do it in B group with similarly paced riders so that you don't feel let down when your improvements don't match what you're seeing on track. Its like AFM racers trying to compare their abilities to WSBK or MotoGP racers.

7. Lose a lot of time around 2, and from 6 to 9. Most time can be made up on the back half of the track (T9 thru 15). T6 thru T9 is just corner exit (T6), lines (T7 & T8), and speed (T6—T8). While speed is a key component to getting faster times—lines and later braking help a lot. Your T9 is a sign you don't know the proper line thru there since it is a blind corner. Knowing which line(s) to take there will help your speed on entry and mid-corner as well as exit speed (since you'll be going faster thru there). Same go for any corner—knowing the corner, what line to take and when & how much to brake.

8. Going to have to force myself to grab instructors next year every track day. As well as hope I can figure out my back situation and improve my hip flexibility. THIS is what's going to help you, not trying to match A group paced riders. I know, cause I've been there myself struggling to get up to pace and want to see you out there making improvements as well.

My fitness is bad, so my bike form is bad. Putting too much weight into the bars in corners so that I'm uncomfortable getting on the throttle out of them because once the front goes light it starts dancing and I'm worried I'll lose it. TC is at +7 and I never see it come on except to prevent wheelies. Am I supposed to just trust that the front will stay gripping while moving around and that the rear would be the first place to slide when throttling out of a corner?

Still can't lean the bike because no reference point for lean angle that I trust. Need another way to know when I'm at the edge of the tire. I've got about 5mm of unused rubber on the rear on both sides. Having glanced at the dash in the middle of turn 2, I've seen embarrassing live numbers like 35 degrees. Being in a corner for so long gives me enough time to process how little faith I have in not crashing and really evaluate my situation and not bring the bike down enough.

Doing 2:12-15 around THill, not able to; match corner speed with faster riders, get on the throttle early enough because of the terrible rider input (two stage acceleration out of corners because of this). Lose a lot of time around 2, and from 6 to 9. (I give up on 3 because of the off camber nature, and the fantastic black flag in A group on sunday when one guy took at 3 other riders on the entry to 3.)

Going to have to force myself to grab instructors next year every track day. As well as hope I can figure out my back situation and improve my hip flexibility.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Coaching was fun and very helpful... @wfo439 where were you???
Started having back issues a week ago Monday. Took 1/2 a day off. Did the BMP (bare minimum possible) and barely made it through the work week. On Sat. I couldn't roll the trailer out of the garage to unload the bike, replace the brake pads, change the oil and change the gearing. :frown2: Even if I had managed that, there was still enough pain Monday that I could not have ridden. Shifted focus to being healthy for the last AFM races 10/20 -21. The event was pre-paid for me. Wasted 2 vacation days. :frown2:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Started having back issues a week ago Monday. Took 1/2 a day off. Did the BMP (bare minimum possible) and barely made it through the work week. On Sat. I couldn't roll the trailer out of the garage to unload the bike, replace the brake pads, change the oil and change the gearing. :frown2: Even if I had managed that, there was still enough pain Monday that I could not have ridden. Shifted focus to being healthy for the last AFM races 10/20 -21. The event was pre-paid for me. Wasted 2 vacation days. :frown2:
oh what.....would've been nice to ride with you there, lots of S1000RR's for sure and there was an HP4 Race going balls out as well.

no worries, I will definitely be back on the next one, I need all the help I can get and overall the event was super fun and chill.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So that was you out there on Sunday. I';m going to give it to you straight in hopes it will help you.

1. Don't practice in A group—head down into B group—no need to compare your performance to those whose pace and and skill level are above yours. You were braking in the middle of T9 which is dangerous—couple of our riders were stood up because of this. Instead, ride in B group where the pace is moderate and you can focus on what you need to work on.

2. Fitness is highly important. I have a bad back/neck and when I don't stretch this affects my ability to turn and feel comfortable moving around on the bike.

3. Am I supposed to just trust that the front will stay gripping while moving around and that the rear would be the first place to slide when throttling out of a corner? Do you mean to say that you are moving around on the the bike while it is leaned over? If so—don't. If you were in A group you must have seen just about all of the group moving faster thru corners while leaned over without the front giving up—so, yes, you need to trust that your tires (track tires I'm assuming) will grip and that you have the proper pressure in them to allow for that kind of grip.

4. Need another way to know when I'm at the edge of the tire. I've got about 5mm of unused rubber on the rear on both sides. Even if your body is not on the side of the bike, your knees (unless you're around my height—5'6") will tell you you're too far leaned over. See my avatar image? That's on a 200/55 tire race DOT—I am near the edge of the tire.

5. Having glanced at the dash in the middle of turn 2, I've seen embarrassing live numbers like 35 degrees. Please don't do this. Especially in A group. This is what causes accidents—not looking where you are going causes people to either go wide or have erratic lines.

6. Doing 2:12-15 around Thill East, not able to; match corner speed with faster riders Again, you're comparing yourself to riders with more experience going very fast. If you're learning to make less than 2:10 on East, do it in B group with similarly paced riders so that you don't feel let down when your improvements don't match what you're seeing on track. Its like AFM racers trying to compare their abilities to WSBK or MotoGP racers.

7. Lose a lot of time around 2, and from 6 to 9. Most time can be made up on the back half of the track (T9 thru 15). T6 thru T9 is just corner exit (T6), lines (T7 & T8), and speed (T6—T8). While speed is a key component to getting faster times—lines and later braking help a lot. Your T9 is a sign you don't know the proper line thru there since it is a blind corner. Knowing which line(s) to take there will help your speed on entry and mid-corner as well as exit speed (since you'll be going faster thru there). Same go for any corner—knowing the corner, what line to take and when & how much to brake.

8. Going to have to force myself to grab instructors next year every track day. As well as hope I can figure out my back situation and improve my hip flexibility. THIS is what's going to help you, not trying to match A group paced riders. I know, cause I've been there myself struggling to get up to pace and want to see you out there making improvements as well.
I'm still in B group, no intention of doing A group until I sort out all of my fundamentals.

I can't trust my knee to actually tell me lean angle at the moment, it doesn't go out as far as yours does. And as the day wears on, it becomes more and more work to force it to move out. Some f'd up muscle compensation from a bicycle crash on Mt. Diablo 8 years ago (that is most likely the result of my back issues as well).

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I'm still in B group, no intention of doing A group until I sort out all of my fundamentals.

I can't trust my knee to actually tell me lean angle at the moment, it doesn't go out as far as yours does. And as the day wears on, it becomes more and more work to force it to move out. Some f'd up muscle compensation from a bicycle crash on Mt. Diablo 8 years ago (that is most likely the result of my back issues as well).
The unfortunate downside to doing these amazing things we do are the potential for physical trauma. I would like to recommend yoga for flexibility and core strength. A few of us have been doing this this year. I do it for the neck and upper back issues from my own accidents and it's done wonders—I just have to keep at it since if I do't do it the night before or the morning of a trackday or a long ride my neck feels locked up and I do poorly. My source for yoga has been youtube—if you want I can share links with the instructors I follow with you.

One recommendation is to do what Lorenzo does—rain knee pucks. They're taller and allow your knee to touch sooner. Another thing I've found that allows my knee to touch at the same angle as a taller rider is to make adjustments to the rear sets allowing your foot to be positioned higher or farther back which drops your knee lower. Of course these adjustments are dependent on flexibility :frown2:

Another thing I was thinking of recently is why riders are able to go fast(er). Its due to memorization of the track to the point where you don't have to trust markers as much. I've done this with T9 as I tend to stay wide after the left turn going over the hill. I've taken full sessions where I focus on just that turn. First by focusing on feeling comfortable with braking markers at a set speed, then turn-in and position for apex, lining myself up with relation to the waterpower in the distance, and finally after getting all those committed—I work on turning right at the crest and getting my weight over the right-front end of the bike while accelerating. Not only focusing on one section of track, but focusing on one action until it feels right is a major advantage compared to trying to apply everything to the whole track.

Keep at it.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
My flexibility is so poor, I'm afraid I'll have to take up yoga before next season. If I take a class the women will probably all point and whisper: "perv." :frown2:Litlle will they know all I want is faster lap times. :laugh: My back has been hurting so much that I broke down and bought a teeter inversion table. I've only had it 5 days but 2 5 minute sessions a day and I actually feel close to normal. The pain killers weren't working. The table has worked better at pain relief than anything so far. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #195 (Edited)
Sooo... it took the inversion table and "Relief Factor" to make the back pain go away. I emailed my dad the ingredients and he said its all good stuff and he told me which each ingredient does if anyone is interested.

Less than a month till the first track day. Bike should be ready by next Sat. First track days for me will be:

PTT Sonoma Feb 23-24, Carters at Sonoma 3/4, T-Hill East 3/9 and possibly 3/10. I'm not sure about 3/10 because I want to do the open track day at Buttonwillow 3/15. Still working out logistics and expenses since the first AFM race is 3/16-3/17 at BW.

Anyone else have AFM racing or TD plans yet? If so, post them up. :smile2: The track days are always better when you meet up with other forum members like:

@smash adams
@Bobby Johnny
@Outta Control
@RR1 Did the KGB get him? He hasn't been heard from since the trip to Russia
@Phanuel

@simes007us has his bike for sale
@velazcod was selling stuff and recovering from injuries

Haven't met either of the latter 2 but hope to.

Unless my memory has completely failed, @TWITCH is in Sacramento but he has gone green. Traitor. J.K. Pretty sure you will end up with a 2020. In either case, we will want your opinion for comparison purposes. :wink2:

Edit: Forgot to mention @Endless Rode with him a few times in the vicinity of Alice's Haven't seen him at a track day. Think he is still on a Sumo.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Sooo... it took the inversion table and "Relief Factor" to make the back pain go away. I emailed my dad the ingredients and he said its all good stuff and he told me which each ingredient does if anyone is interested.

Less than a month till the first track day. Bike should be ready by next Sat. First track days for me will be:

PTT Sonoma Feb 23-24, Carters at Sonoma 3/4, T-Hill East 3/9 and possibly 3/10. I'm not sure about 3/10 because I want to do the open track day at Buttonwillow 3/15. Still working out logistics and expenses since the first AFM race is 3/16-3/17 at BW.

Anyone else have AFM racing or TD plans yet? If so, post them up. :smile2: The track days are always better when you meet up with other forum members like:

@smash adams
@Bobby Johnny
@Outta Control
@Phanuel

Unless my memory has completely failed, @TWITCH is in Sacramento but he has gone green. Traitor. J.K. Pretty sure you will end up with a 2020. In either case, we will want your opinion for comparison purposes. :wink2:

Edit: Forgot to mention @Endless Rode with him a few times in the vicinity of Alice's Haven't seen him at a track day. Think he is still on a Sumo.
My collarbone is healed and yoga a few times a week has me fit and flexible. Glad to hear your pain is managed! See my schedule attached to this post.

My suspension is being refreshed and getting stiffer spring rates. My valve adjustment is scheduled for 2/2.

My helmet, boots, and air vest are being delivered this week.

My dual axle enclosed trailer has chock installed. My truck has a(another) new fuel pump and I replaced the old 7pin round with the new standard 7 blade round harness for the electric brakes and auxiliary power.

My kitchen is remodeled and my last cpa test is 2/22, the day before my first track day of the season.

I’m ready >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts

@smash adams
@Bobby Johnny
@Outta Control
@Phanuel

I tried to make a come back at round 6 and 7 but had some electronic issues I couldn't figure out at round 6, and at round 7 I couldn't avoid someone that ran out of fuel in front of me on an exit and crashed into him, ending my weekend early... thankfully this time around nothing happened to me, but the bike was a bit damaged so I needed some time to put it back together and decided to back out of the weekend.

It's back on and I started training, been working out and went to Stockton with the Grom yesterday. I still have parts for sale but those are just things I took off the bike and want to get rid of since I may be moving soon.

Not sure yet what will be my first track day of the season (waiting on fairings to be painted) but I am for sure making it to AFM Round 1. I'll try to match with some of those dates.. I love sonoma

Reactions: wfo439
181 - 200 of 243 Posts