BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I only weigh 142 pounds without clothing and run 41/35. Maybe only psychological, but factory 42/36 feels harsh for my weight. I'd run 40/34 previously, which felt more comfortable, but probably increases wear.

I ride canyons in the mountains exclusively, for what it's worth...

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
EDIT: Street Pressures

For many years 2lbs under the listed max, 40R/34F. Let the softer compound do the work, and keep the tire carcass from flexing too much to get good mileage out of a set. Though, on this last set of M7's in the winter I ran 38R/32F just to warm the temps up on cold days in the mountains. Might keep this slightly lower pressure into the summer and see if I like the feel better. Also, running Slick mode or User mode with the engine set to slick seems to eat tires (1/4 less life) for no appreciable increase in speed, at least on the street. Race mode seems much better at preserving tires while not actually slowing you down.

I don't race or do track days (yet), so I can't vouch for any of that but I can say proper street (not track on the street) pressures are key to not just destroying your tires, especially the rear.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Who uses what tyre pressures?
This is such a vague question that requires context. What are you looking for? Street or track? Pace/group? Which tires/model? I could give you my track pressures for tires I use when the track surface temp is above 90 deg F, but that wouldn't help you if you're running Q3+'s.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I use helium. Makes for a more "humorous" ride.
I use medical grade nitrous oxide, I just don't waste it on my tires.... :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I weigh 135 lbs, sans gear, mostly commuting, 32fr/34 rear, cold. need to get to the track. I usually start with 30/30 cold for the track. Q3 or Q3+.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts