BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about installing a TST integrated tail light on my 2015. I like the added brightness, the pulsating brake light function and the smoked lens.
What I DON'T like are the turn signals that are built into the light. I've seen these on bikes and when I drive up on them I can see the tail light blinking but it really doesn't register that it's actually a turn signal until I get right up on the guy because there is almost no separation between the left and right signals. With the OEM's it is more clear to folks behind me what my directional change is going to be. I know, there are a lot of you who don't even use turn signals so this is a "so what" but I personally feel that if I'm sending a clear signal (pun intended) to those around me it increases my safety margin in traffic.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
22 S1000RR M
36 Posts
My TST fender eliminator and integrated lights should be arriving tomorrow so I'll be able to tell you once I've used them for awhile. Hopefully my permanent plate shows up soon as well so I'm not having to attach a paper tag to the TST for long. I opted for the low mount.

I used the New Rage Cycles (NRC) set up on my Panigale with no issues; however, the TST appears to be significantly better made than NRC and better illuminated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I personally prefer the integrated turn signal tails, because it really cleans up the rear of the bike. I also don't really ride slow enough for turn signal spacing to make a significant difference. Don't get me wrong, I use them, but I treat every car like they can't see me, and I always ride faster than the flow of traffic. If I want to pass, I've got 200+hp to do that - 99% of the time I'm not relying on someone seeing my blinker to do it.

I also put myself in very few stopped situations that require a blinker. I always look for ways to avoid staying stopped on a bike, because, regardless of the taillight, my personal opinion is that staying stopped on a bike just asking for bad news like getting rear-ended or robbed or something. At lights I either split to the front to avoid being left out in the open hoping the person behind me actually stops, or just safely run that **** when no one's around since sensors never pick up bikes anyway. I do realize not everyone lives in an area that is as lenient as I do, so this is just my .02, but riding style (and choosing what situations you put yourself in/how you react to them) is MUCH more important than blinker separation spacing. Hope this helps on making your decision.

·
Registered
22 S1000RR M
36 Posts
I personally prefer the integrated turn signal tails, because it really cleans up the rear of the bike. I also don't really ride slow enough for turn signal spacing to make a significant difference. Don't get me wrong, I use them, but I treat every car like they can't see me, and I always ride faster than the flow of traffic. If I want to pass, I've got 200+hp to do that - 99% of the time I'm not relying on someone seeing my blinker to do it.

I also put myself in very few stopped situations that require a blinker. I always look for ways to avoid staying stopped on a bike, because, regardless of the taillight, my personal opinion is that staying stopped on a bike just asking for bad news like getting rear-ended or robbed or something. At lights I either split to the front to avoid being left out in the open hoping the person behind me actually stops, or just safely run that **** when no one's around since sensors never pick up bikes anyway. I do realize not everyone lives in an area that is as lenient as I do, so this is just my .02, but riding style (and choosing what situations you put yourself in/how you react to them) is MUCH more important than blinker separation spacing. Hope this helps on making your decision.
Couldn’t agree more!

Reactions: DSemFiddy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My TST fender eliminator and integrated lights should be arriving tomorrow so I'll be able to tell you once I've used them for awhile. Hopefully my permanent plate shows up soon as well so I'm not having to attach a paper tag to the TST for long. I opted for the low mount.

I used the New Rage Cycles (NRC) set up on my Panigale with no issues; however, the TST appears to be significantly better made than NRC and better illuminated.
Yep, I'd really like to hear your feedback once you install it. They keep saying "entirely plug and play" so let me know if that really is the case.

Maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing. I also assume I'm invisible to cars whenever I'm riding, so having separated blinkers is probably not going to help that much if they can't see me in the first place. Oh what the hell, I'll place the order.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep, I'd really like to hear your feedback once you install it. They keep saying "entirely plug and play" so let me know if that really is the case.

Maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing. I also assume I'm invisible to cars whenever I'm riding, so having separated blinkers is probably not going to help that much if they can't see me in the first place. Oh what the hell, I'll place the order.
Haha no worries. King of overthinking right here lol.

Couldn’t agree more!
Great minds think alike!

·
Registered
599 Posts
My TST blinkers function well after having them for several months. I'd say they are a good value for the money. Fit is precise and a true plug and play. I still wouldn't have installed them because the factory signals are plenty bright, but I am clumsy and broke my signal in the garage; glued it, then bumped into it again, and again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the clear tst integrated tail on my old 15 s1k and didn’t look back. Fit was great and it was plenty bright compared to other brands.
Good to hear. They make it look so good on their video, nice to hear from someone who actually has one. Maybe I'm focusing to much on turn signals like they're going to offer a lot of protection when in reality that isn't the case.

·
Registered
22 S1000RR M
36 Posts
Good to hear. They make it look so good on their video, nice to hear from someone who actually has one. Maybe I'm focusing to much on turn signals like they're going to offer a lot of protection when in reality that isn't the case.
The guy who does the install videos is great! I could listen to him explain anything and probably get it through my thick skull!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I watched that vid too. Very clear. I'm familiar with tools but I've only had my bike about 3 months and have never taken apart that tail section. It looks easy enough.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good, I ordered the tail light in smoke and it should be here by Thursday. Good to hear from so many that they like it and had no problem with the install

·
Registered
2016 S1000rr
112 Posts
I installed a TST clear version on my 16' cause my buddy almost ran me over in his F250. He said he couldn't see the factory one due to it being so "dim" and pushes the light downwards. The TST is much brighter and shows the light everywhere. I agree on the sentiment of integrated turn signals not showing the best direction of which turn you intend on making. So I added LED strips down either side to make sure whoever is behind me can make out what way I'm going. I couldn't install the turn signals that stick out due to my saddle bags putting too much force and breaking them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate your comments HondaRC51. I called TST and asked if I could still use the OEM turn signals and just use their light as a brake light - they said no (no surprise). The funny thing is that everyone on this forum has given me a thumbs up but I'm on another long established moto forum here in the San Francisco area whose members ride all types of bikes and are mostly "mature". They mostly gave me thumbs down on the idea of integrated turn signals for safety reasons and that I might end up with a fix it ticket.
I think if I was commuting to work everyday on my bike I wouldn't pick an S1000RR and would want something as safe and comfortable as possible - like a BMW R1250RT. But this is a weekend toy that stays in the garage 6 days a week and only comes out to play for an hour on a Saturday afternoon so I'm going for it.

·
Registered
22 S1000RR M
36 Posts
Honestly I think that's an antiquated opinion (getting "fix it" tickets.) These days, cops are too busy (and uninterested in the risk of violence) to mess with that trivial bs and I don't think the TST lights would even cause any trouble anyway. My dad was a cop in Miami for over 30 years and my brother is currently a motorcycle cop in south Florida and both would tell you they have more important things to worry about than the spacing or set up of motorcycle lights, particularly ones that are super bright and functional like these. Just my 2 cents. Also, I'm 47 and ride a Harley Streetglide and the RR...I feel pretty mature! 😉

Reactions: Blue ur my boy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Honestly I think that's an antiquated opinion (getting "fix it" tickets.) These days, cops are too busy (and uninterested in the risk of violence) to mess with that trivial bs and I don't think the TST lights would even cause any trouble anyway. My dad was a cop in Miami for over 30 years and my brother is currently a motorcycle cop in south Florida and both would tell you they have more important things to worry about than the spacing or set up of motorcycle lights, particularly ones that are super bright and functional like these. Just my 2 cents. Also, I'm 47 and ride a Harley Streetglide and the RR...I feel pretty mature! 😉
I appreciate your comments. This other forum I'm speaking of is populated with moto commuters, adventure bike riders, guys that go motorcycle camping, etc. Last week one guy posted about how he visited every Spanish mission here in CA on his Goldwing. Another guy rode down to Baja Mexico for a week and posted pics, you get the idea. Some sportbike guys but mostly the discussions are about off topic stuff.
Anyway, yep I think cops nowadays have taken a "hands off" approach to a lot of things due to the events of the last couple of years. And our crime rates are spiking as a result but that's a different discussion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm thinking about installing a TST integrated tail light on my 2015. I like the added brightness, the pulsating brake light function and the smoked lens.
What I DON'T like are the turn signals that are built into the light. I've seen these on bikes and when I drive up on them I can see the tail light blinking but it really doesn't register that it's actually a turn signal until I get right up on the guy because there is almost no separation between the left and right signals. With the OEM's it is more clear to folks behind me what my directional change is going to be. I know, there are a lot of you who don't even use turn signals so this is a "so what" but I personally feel that if I'm sending a clear signal (pun intended) to those around me it increases my safety margin in traffic.
What do you guys think?
Hey,

I have the TST Integrated tail lights and love them. Having a bright LED tail light that modulates (to catch peoples attention) is awesome, the tail light is true plug and play. It cleans up the rear and has perfect fitment. I will install signals on my mirrors and roundel as well.

I ride like people in cars can’t see me. I tap my brakes at stop lights when cars approach from the rear. I stay on the inside of the lane at lights, so I can escape if needed and my bike stays in gear. I figure I can continue to drive defensively while I’m on the road.

I have installed TST integrated lights on my 09 R1 and 12 R6. They make great lights and I didn’t have an issue with either. Their customer service is great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey,

I have the TST Integrated tail lights and love them. Having a bright LED tail light that modulates (to catch peoples attention) is awesome, the tail light is true plug and play. It cleans up the rear and has perfect fitment. I will install signals on my mirrors and roundel as well.

I ride like people in cars can’t see me. I tap my brakes at stop lights when cars approach from the rear. I stay on the inside of the lane at lights, so I can escape if needed and my bike stays in gear. I figure I can continue to drive defensively while I’m on the road.

I have installed TST integrated lights on my 09 R1 and 12 R6. They make great lights and I didn’t have an issue with either. Their customer service is great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the comments, how will you install signals on your mirrors? I have a 2015 model so the mirrors don't have the built in signals like the later models.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts