BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about trailers and so am looking for newbie advice.

I want to get a trailer for a few purposes:

1. Occasionally take my RR to the track, locally or about 150 miles away, so I can track prep/de-prep it at home.
2. Take it to Colorado with me where I spend most of the summer. Given the 1000 mile each-way trip, it needs to be very stable and operate at relatively high speed.
3. Maybe occasionally take my RR or K1300S somewhere to meet friends for a moto trip. I just went to LA (from Austin) to rent a GS with buddies for a ride through the Sierras. I would rather have one of my bikes than a GS rental.

I would like it to be as small as possible. Expense is not a huge factor, though cheaper is obviously better. I am very open to buying used. Even renting. I don't think I need a closed trailer; open is fine.

What can you tell someone who knows almost nothing about motorcycle trailers?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Atc aluminum trailer are very nice. Costly but rust affective vs steel and super light weight. Hell I spent like 20g’s on my custom made 20ft enclosed atc trailer but I got a lot of stuff done for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Atc aluminum trailer are very nice. Costly but rust affective vs steel and super light weight. Hell I spent like 20g’s on my custom made 20ft enclosed atc trailer but I got a lot of stuff done for it
Quest Premium Motorcycle Trailer - ATC Trailers

These are all overkill as large enclosed trailers. While I will often tow with the AMG GLE, I might sometime tow with my M3. I only need a compact, open air trailer (I think).

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I 2nd this. I've owned a Kendon for about 3 years. Equally stable 1 bike or 2. Stable even at triple digits when you have long straight flat road with nothing in site.

I went with this one:

https://www.kendonusa.com/collections/kendon-premium-folding-motorcycle-trailers/products/dual-rail-ride-up-srl-folding-motorcycle-trailer

There are cheaper models.
Thanks. This is very helpful.

At some point I'll start asking questions about what to get with it regarding straps, covers, maybe a lockable and attachable storage case to mount in the middle, etc.

I'm looking at this, but am just starting: https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/kendon-dual-stand-up-motorcycle-trailer-p/bb207.htm

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you can I would personally get a enclosed one regardless of where you get it from. Unexpected storms or rain can and will happen and having everything dry and inside is nice. Plus keeps its out of peoples site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
My friend has a Kendon. It's great. Easy to use and maneuver.

Having used both, I prefer an enclosed trailer. They are more of a pain but having a mobile garage is nice. As mentioned, bike is out of the weather and out of sight.

What is the tow rating of your AMG GLE?

I have a truck now, but towed a 6x12 enclosed with with an SUV rated to tow 3,500 lb. You can go smaller than 6x12 with one bike.

U-haul rents open trailers too if you want to try and see what you think before you buy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My friend has a Kendon. It's great. Easy to use and maneuver.

Having used both, I prefer an enclosed trailer. They are more of a pain but having a mobile garage is nice. As mentioned, bike is out of the weather and out of sight.

What is the tow rating of your AMG GLE?

I have a truck now, but towed a 6x12 enclosed with with an SUV rated to tow 3,500 lb. You can go smaller than 6x12 with one bike.

U-haul rents open trailers too if you want to try and see what you think before you buy.
The towing capacity of the AMG is 7200 lbs. The weight of the Kendon with a bike is less than 1000 lbs. With two, 1500.

The AMG is the wife's car that I can take to CO for the summer with one or two bikes. But I probably need to get a hitch on my M3 for track days.

An enclosed trailer is more than I want.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Get the Kendon trailer, easy to find used or shopping around you can find a nice new leftover model. You've got the 4dr f80 m3 or an older model? Either way it should be fine to tow, german cars are actually rated for decent# unlike Japanese and US spec. Seen 2 F80's towing to track days, i'm sure it has more torque than half the trucks towing bikes.

Towed with my wrx for 3 years and had zero problems, got up to 85 on smooth highways and hardly knew the trailer was behind me. Kendon folds up when you don't need it, +1 for whoever said Kendon earlier.

The go series is a kendon knockoff rebranded trailer, made a little cheaper but i'm sure it will be fine: https://www.kendonusa.com/collections/stand-up-folding-trailers/products/go-series-single-rail-folding-motorcycle-trailers

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
If you don't need the security or the need to use it for other things, I'd look at renting a Uhaul motorcycle trailer. I've used one a few times and it's stupid simple. They are single bike units, have room for other items, but offer no theft or weather protection. My trips have been straight from home to track and back, so suited my needs just fine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see people using hitch carriers at track days: https://www.discountramps.com/carriers/c/2130/
I use them occasionally for dirt bikes, but prefer a trailer or truck bed. I don't like how they rattle.

Some other trailers here: https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-trailers/c/2180/
I don't know if they are good, but some alternatives to Kendon.

My last pitch for an enclosed trailer!
FS: The Ultimate One-Bike Enclosed Trailer | SportbikeTrackTime Forum
The Kendon is the most appealing. I have a storage and aesthetic situation with the wife. I can stick the Kendon out of the way on the side of the house - maybe under a tarp - but the others lack the ability. The hitch carrier may carry my RR on the AMG, but not on my M3 nor the ability to carry two bikes. It would block the operation of the tailgate. The K1300S is also about 150 lbs heavier than the RR, which is about 400 lbs with half a tank.

The enclosed trailer has advantages of additional security, protection and room for carrying random stuff, but again I have a storage issue. It also will have a bit more drag and weight.

·
4,587 Posts
Unless you're 100% sure that you only need to do occasional track days. Just rent a motorcycle trailer from U-haul.

An alum 5x8 open trailer will work fine with m3 if you plan to do more than few track days.
I towed a steel 6x10' with my M3 and it was ok. Think about all of the gear, tools, gas, tires, etc... Kendon it will be tight.

If you will do more than 3 track days a season, I highly recommend an alum enclosed trailer, use AMG to tow it. If you still want to use the M3, then get a low ceiling/drag one, dual axles, alum wheels. You want to keep total trailer weight under 2000lbs, tongue weight under 400lbs.

After one season I got sick of M3. Got a Raptor to tow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts