BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guessing this would be the better forum to post in..

Looking for someone who is somewhat local that does track days. Trying to learn the ropes from someone who has done track days at NJMP, Summit or possibly VIR. These are the closest tracks to where I'm located in the Camp Hill area.

Should I join an organization? If so which one, N2, Motorcycle Xcitement or another recommended one? I plan to do around 5-8 a season (depending on my work schedule.)

I'm open to any advice thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I prefer TPM because I have a few friends who're control riders with that org. I have another bud who is a CR with EvolveGT. I hear good things about N2...I'll probably do a few track days with them this season too.

My home track is Summit.

·
Super Moderator
9,654 Posts
This depends on which track you want to ride. Seems like most orgs have a preferred track. Also, some are run better than others. Personally, I like Absolute Cycle for two reason. One, NJMP is my favorite track. Two, I like how they run their days.

ABSOLUTE CYCLE EXPERIENCE MOTORCYCLE TRACKDAYS & SCHOOLS a Track Day Riders United Partner

I've attended days hosted by N2 and Motorcyclexcitement. I didn't care for them. That said, I know guys who buy season passes.

Consider trying out some of these orgs this year then decide which one to sign up with next year. Again, not all may have dates that work for you and/or cover track you like.

·
4,645 Posts
ridePRE.com favors VIR. VIR is many pro's favorite track for a reason.

It's a technical track, if it's your first track day you would want to ask a control rider to help you out. PRE has great CRs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone! Looks like I'll start local. Summit point and NJMP are about 2 hours from me.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Welcome to the addiction. You can't go wrong with any of the groups mentoned so far.... But if you get to VIR, you need to ride with PRE. Tell John Allen, Larry with stt sent you his way. Great group of guys to ride with.

Ltyson
This ^. I have had memberships with N2, TPM, and this year with PRE. If you want to run VIR this is definitely your best bet. Evolve GT has come a long way as well and they do a lot of joint days with TPM and possibly N2 if I am not mistaken. Like z00 said, if you do VIR on your first track day you definitely want to get some tows from the control riders. I haven't had any issues with any of these organizations so really it just matters on which org. has the most track days that you can attend in your area. In case you haven't already researched this stuff, below is a list of stuff you may want to bring with you to the track in addition your bike and riding gear.

-Pop up canopy (also something to tie it down)
-extension cords
-camping chairs (zero gravity chairs are money)
-at least one fan
-tire warmers and stands (not necessary but always a plus)
-tire pressure gauge
-painters tape
-100mph tape
-zip ties

If you are lacking stuff, I have never had anyone tell me "no" when I have asked to borrow something from other riders. You will find that most if not all folks at the track will be more than willing to loan tools or supplies if they can. If you end up riding PRE with VIR, shoot me a PM because I will be going to most of their VIR events for the remainder of the year.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone! Looks like I'll start local. Summit point and NJMP are about 2 hours from me.
Side note, Summit Main is legit on the S1000rr, Summit Sheny is significantly more challenging and each organization runs it differently. Some add the kink down the front straight, some do not. Some run the bowl, some do not. It is fun, but it would be a lot more enjoyable on a smaller bike that is easier to flick around the turns. Not knocking the track at all, it is just very difficult to take advantage of a liter back on that track if you are inexperienced.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Both days are Main with N2. I may ride up one day just to hang out with the guys. I won't be taking my bike on the track. Let's get some folks there. @kruizen @5150 Pops
I may go for one day. I am doing VIR the weekend before though so it may be a stretch to get out there...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Side note, Summit Main is legit on the S1000rr, Summit Sheny is significantly more challenging and each organization runs it differently. Some add the kink down the front straight, some do not. Some run the bowl, some do not. It is fun, but it would be a lot more enjoyable on a smaller bike that is easier to flick around the turns. Not knocking the track at all, it is just very difficult to take advantage of a liter back on that track if you are inexperienced.
This 1000x. Summit main is so good on the RR.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Yup!! Was so excited about this, but then my engine seized and now I'm down for the season it looks like... They really take forever to deal with these things.
Don't have to be, I got a very low mileage 2015 engine for sale. Not sure what year yours is, but might be able to work a deal.

PM me

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
ridePRE.com favors VIR. VIR is many pro's favorite track for a reason.

It's a technical track, if it's your first track day you would want to ask a control rider to help you out. PRE has great CRs.
Bahhh humbug.

It has been said by many people back in 1996-98 "if you are fast at Summit Point (main) you will be fast anywhere. Even moreso when it is wet, thus the old nickname "Slippery Point".

Keep in mind, this was on the old surface, and it's been repaved in places several times since then, and completely at least once, possibly twice.

Don't discount what you don't know, first hand. VIR is nice, no doubt, but Summit is not exactly trash, far from it...imo.

·
4,645 Posts
Don't discount what you don't know, first hand. VIR is nice, no doubt, but Summit is not exactly trash, far from it...imo.
When did I say summit is trash?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
When did I say summit is trash?
I did not say you did...."VIR is many pro's favorite track for a reason."

Pro's enjoy Summit too.
Tray Batey, David Aldana, Joe Prussianno, Tim Bemisderfer, to name a few, also enjoy Summit Point. No I'm not insinuating they prefer Summit over VIR, IDK. What I do know, is being at the track, rather than testing physics on public roads, are much more fun and beneficial than doing so on public roads. You seemed dismissive of Summit, to the point of referring to "pro's favoring VIR". I've experienced both, and feel there's a lot Summit has to offer, especially knowing they've got 100% new pavement on the main circuit. You should broaden your horizons, make the trek to Charlestown, if you're serious about racing (in the Mid Atlantic) you're going to end up there at some point, if you're serious about contingencies and championship points.

My point is...if the rider is closer to Summit, rather than VIR, that rider need not feel as though there is much of a deficit "settling" for Summit, over VIR because "Pro's favor VIR". Being on the track in controlled conditions, is where it's at, we need to encourage those who want to explore the capabilities of themselves and their machines to get to a closed course, regardless of what's "popular".

They're both a fantastic PITA to get to, IMO.

·
4,645 Posts
I did not say you did...."VIR is many pro's favorite track for a reason."
I see now. That was not my statement, it was Dylan's Code and CSS instructors, some current and ex AMA racers I asked (Matt Scholtz, he was practicing at Barber and VIR, he is nice to riders on R1s :D ).

For some people the drive to Summit or VIR is gonna be similar. Between the two I'll take VIR. I'll be at Summit later this summer now that it has been paved. Pit race is also pretty good after the repavement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts