BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,
I am planning on doing a track day (or school) next summer, so looking for some advice.

What’s your thoughts, is it doable to ride 5 hrs to the track and spend three days on track with only stuff you brought on the bike and a backpack?

it’s a bit trickier situation for me, as I don’t have a car. Looking at van rentals, they cost about the same as renting a track bike. But I really would like to ride out on my bike and hit the track! Thinking of going to Brno, with No Limits or a race school with Troy Corser. Any other track day companies to consider?

Most central European tracks are about a 5 hour ride for me, so the ride out is a nonissue.The main concern is with a small backpack, I will have very limited tools (a small pressure gauge and a basic set of torx). So no gas can, track stands, no torque wrench and levers for tire changes. I’d have to make friends and borrow tools if needed!

Has anyone done this?

·
8,726 Posts
I don't recommend riding your bike to track. If you do the math (gas, tires, brakes, etc...), it will be slightly more to rent a bike from Race school EU over using yours.
I was faced with the same dilemma multiple times in US & EU, flying in, renting a bike, staying well rested before/after/during event paid off.

I plan to ride Brno next summer with Race school (Assuming C19 travel crap is easier), maybe I'll see you there.

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, opening the world of possibilities a bit, decided to add a short tour around Euroland as well next summer.

has anyone used these from H&P, saddle bags look pretty slick!

C-Bow Seitenträger schwarz für BMW S 1000 RR (2019-)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
No, don't ride your bike to a track day, especially that far. You'll be tired and then need to track-prep the bike (remove/cover mirrors, tail, headlights, etc.). When doing distant tracks in the US along with outstanding instruction of a real school, I use California Superbike School, which also supplies the bike and all gear. You can do the same in Europe with RSE. That's what I would do.

RSE - Racing School Europe RSE - with Troy Corser (racing-school-europe.com)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Alright, opening the world of possibilities a bit, decided to add a short tour around Euroland as well next summer.

has anyone used these from H&P, saddle bags look pretty slick!

I'm also doing a Euroland tour this next summer - 9 days through the Pyrenees. I have some buddies and we're organizing a private tour through Edelweiss in June. I'm renting an S1000 XR, as I did for a similar tour through the Alps in five countries three years ago. We planned the same the past two years, but the joy killers closed the world on us.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Definitely don't do that. After a 3 day event you will be absolutely exhausted, sore, probably not thinking 100% strait and riding home fatigued. For a new rider just worry about the tire pressures and bike being in good mechanical shape with fluids topped off. I'd rent or ask a friend to borrow a truck or trailer/car combo.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
People have done it with less.

View attachment 219453

If I was doing it, I'd make sure my bike is in top condition, put new, longer lasting tires, and raise up the pressure for the trip. I'd do it. If you find someone as reckless as you to join you, all the better.
...aaaand the name of that rider is? :)

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I wouldn't do a real trackday having ridden there like you mentioned, I'd trailer it. BUT, I think you DEFINITELY should ride the Nordschleife with the tankbag and saddlebags!:cool:

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
DEFINITELY should ride the Nordschleife with the tankbag and saddlebags!:cool:
Now that’s a good suggestion! Now on the list, but will have to be a separate trip as it’s the wrong way for me to get to Brno :)

Thanks all for the suggestions. Still looking for someone who has actually experienced this to inform me what issues should expect (outside the obvious fatigue concern, which can be solved with using a few more of my 40 days of vacation to extend my cultural exposure). What items would cause concern, such as not having a camping chair, or pop up shade tent, or cooler with water nearby. These are the issues I’d need to find and sort out beforehand.

Perhaps it’s such a bad idea that there isn’t anyone here who has done this, but I am also pretty sure i have made worse worse life choices in the past :)

Of course on paper it’s not a great plan, but I sold all my stuff when we moved here for the experience. No regrets, life is about enjoying to the full with what we have, and I love motorcycling more then i hate the pain of fatigue 🤘.

Pretty set on riding to the track and plugging in a few cool highlights along the way, just not sure if I’d be using the bike on track or renting when I get there.

and this COVID this make planning complicated, argh.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've seen people do it, but rarely.

If you decide to do it, I would start with brand new tires unless there will be a trackside vendor who can put new tires on for you. 3 days on track could destroy a set of whatever tires you run? And check that the vendor will take your wheels off and put them back on. Some tire vendors might only do it if you bring them the wheels?

Things I would hate to be without:
A canopy for shade if it's sunny or out of the rain, or someplace to get inside
A way to have lots of beverages to stay hydrated, and calories to keep my energy levels up
A chair

Obviously a crash could ruin your trip and leave you no way to repair or ride your bike or to tow it.

Anyway, just some random thoughts for what they are worth.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Now that’s a good suggestion! Now on the list, but will have to be a separate trip as it’s the wrong way for me to get to Brno :)

and this COVID this make planning complicated, argh.
Imagine the look on the faces of the Porch-a drivers at the Nordschleife being passed by a guy on a motorcycle with full touring luggage on! 🤣

Yup, and this is why I'm putting off any EU or AU trips for at least a year or 2. I'm going to wait until all this overblown insanity ends and life and travel get back to normal.

Best of luck with your plans! Enjoy, and ride safe!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thanks for the concern, but wouldn’t classify myself as a new rider with over 50k miles on t or street and a dozen or so trackdays in top of blue (intermediate) and touching on lower black (advanced) group lap times. Definitely not a pro, but equally far from novice :)
My B, just assumed the question posed is usually from a new TD rider. We have tracks within 1-2 hours and people do ride there for the day then head home or stay in a hotel for a 2 day event. I just can't imagine the torture that would put on your body doing 600 street miles and another 250-300 track miles. And now you mentioning you're quick. Pose a question with the organizer if there is anyone in your area heading out and maybe carpool it or at least help you get home.

If you pull this off, you are a Centaur.

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pose a question with the organizer…
No worries man, all good :)

The track day organization is from the UK, so I’ll reach out to them but no sure how much help they can be. For some specific needs (I.e. rent a chair/cooler from one of their instructors or something) they hopefully have an idea, but as they are not local it’s might be a bit difficult for them to help.

Centaur categorization, 🤔 yea that could be me…

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
.3 days on track could destroy a set of whatever tires you run? And check that the vendor will take your wheels off and put them back on. Some tire vendors might only do it if you bring them the wheels?
good point, didn’t consider that they likely don’t want to take off the wheels. Furthermore, I wouldn’t have track stands to hold the bike. I’ll have to check on this, thanks for the advice 👍

running the stock RR K3s, happy with them so far so I’ll probably just stick with them and put the new shoes on before leaving.

it’s a ‘22, so new bike in top order.

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
9 days through the Pyrenees…
That is awesome, perhaps I can PM you for some recommends, it would be great to check out your setup and overall strategy of where to go and stay :) not new to touring, but definitely new to Euroland.

joy killers closed the world on us.
the worst, we got here just in time lockdowns, so seeing much of this smashing place has really been difficult.

but next summer it’s on, I’ll have to start stockpiling tires!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That is awesome, perhaps I can PM you for some recommends, it would be great to check out your setup and overall strategy of where to go and stay :) not new to touring, but definitely new to Euroland.
We are chartering through Edelweiss, the largest tour company. They provide the bikes (per our spec), a van to carry our bigger luggage and a spare bike, two guides (one in the van), one on a bike, the route, the hotels, the stops, etc. All we need to do and focus on is riding, sightseeing and having fun at night. They go the pace we want, which is, um, brisk.

This time we are doing the Pyrenees, which is less crowded and as technical as the Alps Extreme tour (mostly through the Dolomites). Here is a description of the public tour, though we're doing it private.

Pyrenees Extreme | Edelweiss Bike Travel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Following!

Im in the UK and planning a euro trip next year. Would love to make a stop at a track even if it’s just 1 day. I’m surprised more people don’t do it although I understand their reasons why.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Hello folks,
I am planning on doing a track day (or school) next summer, so looking for some advice.

What’s your thoughts, is it doable to ride 5 hrs to the track and spend three days on track with only stuff you brought on the bike and a backpack?

it’s a bit trickier situation for me, as I don’t have a car. Looking at van rentals, they cost about the same as renting a track bike. But I really would like to ride out on my bike and hit the track! Thinking of going to Brno, with No Limits or a race school with Troy Corser. Any other track day companies to consider?

Most central European tracks are about a 5 hour ride for me, so the ride out is a nonissue.The main concern is with a small backpack, I will have very limited tools (a small pressure gauge and a basic set of torx). So no gas can, track stands, no torque wrench and levers for tire changes. I’d have to make friends and borrow tools if needed!

Has anyone done this?
Your best bet is something like this mate

1 - 20 of 35 Posts