BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i build my track bike in 3 days.
Here are my thoughts on the new bike:
It's a lot harder to shift between race fairings and original fairings.
The new bike is made of layers on layers.
BMW is now using plastic pushpins and velcro to attach some parts.
on my 2016 i could shift fairings in under 50 min.
The new one will take 2 hours.
Some parts are snapped in. The snaps will break sooner or later.
Overall its a lot more time consuming to remove the original fairings.

I am using CRC race fairing. Belly pan with the original system need a lot of modification.
The fitting is not great but it will work with some use of dremel tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice!
My dealer did the same with his demo bike but had to make a hole in the belly pan at the level of the cat I think because he kept the OEM exhaust fear of not passing noise regulations. Then that one has this box before the resonator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,078 Posts

I am using CRC race fairing. Belly pan with the original system need a lot of modification.
Everything you have noted I feel the same way. Flipping from stock plastic to race fiber body is not near as easy in the amount of screw and snaps. Those snaps are just waiting to be broken.

Then the kickstand drags if you run with it, which I have too.

How about those headlights and ballast? I forgot to weight it, but my guess is near 5 pounds.

I bought a front fairing stay to mount on my race nose assembly and plan to release the front at those 4 screws holding the cluster / fairing stay. Then pull the assembly off with all the stock stuff mounted to that one. I think that will decease the time alot leaving all that together in the front.

Then I am extending the plug connectors in the rear to the cubby hole area so that I can just unplug the tail lights/ brake bracket assembly without removing the side pods.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything you have noted I feel the same way. Flipping from stock plastic to race fiber body is not near as easy in the amount of screw and snaps. Those snaps are just waiting to be broken.
/QUOTE]
That sounds like a good plan. I have the connectors for the tail in side the smal area under the passenger seat.

The kickstand is a bigger problem that i have not solved. Hopefully there will be an aftermarket kickstand soon.
My hole build series is on youtube.

part 1 removing fairings

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Then the kickstand drags if you run with it, which I have too.

How about those headlights and ballast? I forgot to weight it, but my guess is near 5 pounds.

I bought a front fairing stay to mount on my race nose assembly and plan to release the front at those 4 screws holding the cluster / fairing stay. Then pull the assembly off with all the stock stuff mounted to that one. I think that will decease the time alot leaving all that together in the front.
Can't you just take a grinder to the kickstand and remove enough material that it isn't a problem and still holds the bike up?

I understand the headlights are 1 unit. You crack one lens and you have to buy the whole unit at a cost of $2000. Better to remove them for the track. :laugh:

Which fairing stay did you buy? Stock, Alpha or other?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Then I am extending the plug connectors in the rear to the cubby hole area so that I can just unplug the tail lights/ brake bracket assembly without removing the side pods.
Does it need to be extended? I was thinking of doing the same thing once I buy a 2020 and take to the track, guess there will be some wire cutting involved >:)

·
Vendor
2,078 Posts
Does it need to be extended? I was thinking of doing the same thing once I buy a 2020 and take to the track, guess there will be some wire cutting involved >:)
There is 3 connectors involved. The location of these are impractical to connecting reasonable fast. I am sure with the complaints already made by people of the size of the cubby hole, putting more wiring and connectors inside there limits the space even more. So BMW moved them to a location of space, but, just too darn difficult to get to fast and without removing the side pods.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Whomever designed this bodywork must have been into legos as a kid. Seriously, the complexity of this bodywork is nuts. Also, why do you have to have so many different sizes of fasteners. For ****s sake, just standardize them. Is it that hard.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't you just take a grinder to the kickstand and remove enough material that it isn't a problem and still holds the bike up?

I understand the headlights are 1 unit. You crack one lens and you have to buy the whole unit at a cost of $2000. Better to remove them for the track. :laugh:

Which fairing stay did you buy? Stock, Alpha or other?
Grinder will not do it. i need to bend or cut the endpart and attache it with a different angel.
i use the original fairing stay but it looks like it will break at the minimum force so a crash is = new fairing stay :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whomever designed this bodywork must have been into legos as a kid. Seriously, the complexity of this bodywork is nuts. Also, why do you have to have so many different sizes of fasteners. For ****s sake, just standardize them. Is it that hard.
I could not agree with you more :(

·
Registered
17 Posts

So how is the quality, fit and finish of the CRC fairings?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why would the kickstand drag when using the bike on track? I tested the 2020 (completely stock bike) on track and did not drag it anywhere.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've drug the pegs a time or two but never got the kickstand down. I'm pretty light though so I don't compress the suspension as much as most.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Why would the kickstand drag when using the bike on track? I tested the 2020 (completely stock bike) on track and did not drag it anywhere.
You need to exceed 58 degrees of lean to drag it. 2 members have done it.
@BMW_388 and @Jarmo Perttula

Somebody has to ask: "At what lean angle does the side stand touch down?" :smile2:
I touched it first at 58 degrees... then at 61 I ground it off pretty good.
https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/new-members-must-start-here/240290-s1000rr-2020-race-track-use.html#post2341082

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m not going to bother changing/removing/grinding it. Touching it slightly won’t make the rear lift. The design must be slightly different from the previous model since I never touched that one.

·
Registered
143 Posts

So how is the quality, fit and finish of the CRC fairings?
58 and touches good to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve heard good things. Mine arrive on Thursday night and I’ll fit them up on Friday.

I’m going to do a full YouTube video on it

1 - 20 of 45 Posts