BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well done!

What hitch do you have?
I put in a Stealth Hitch. I got the combo which gives you a 2" hitch that's used for bike racks and other things, and a special 2" ball hitch specifically built for towing. When you remove the hitch, you literally cannot see any indication that you've got a hitch. It's amazing.

I previously had a couple Supercharged Toyota Tundra's that were really only used to haul bikes to the track. Now I can tow with the Beemer, and sold the trucks. It's awesome and it does great. Plus with a 1,000 miles towing at 80 mph I got 17 mpg, way better than the SuperTundra's ever got. That was with a 900 lbs trailer with about 1,500 lbs of cargo (2 superbikes, tools, e-bike and etc).

I primarily use the Stealth Hitch for hauling mountain bikes to the trail.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I put in a Stealth Hitch. I got the combo which gives you a 2" hitch that's used for bike racks and other things, and a special 2" ball hitch specifically built for towing. When you remove the hitch, you literally cannot see any indication that you've got a hitch. It's amazing.

I previously had a couple Supercharged Toyota Tundra's that were really only used to haul bikes to the track. Now I can tow with the Beemer, and sold the trucks. It's awesome and it does great. Plus with a 1,000 miles towing at 80 mph I got 17 mpg, way better than the SuperTundra's ever got. That was with a 900 lbs trailer with about 1,500 lbs of cargo (2 superbikes, tools, e-bike and etc).

I primarily use the Stealth Hitch for hauling mountain bikes to the trail.

She is hot

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thats a very nice picture. Love the view. Is that outside your house?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
That BMW is rated to tow 2400 pounds? Damn that is impressive. I've yet to see a sedan that can tow over 1500. I tow with a light trailer/bike with my '18 Accord Sport but it is not rated to tow at all. My '06 Accord was rated for 1000 pounds. My 5'x7' open trailer and bike combined are 700 pounds.

And you did this at 80mph, I'm impressed both by the feat and ticket avoidance!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice rig! Here's the other end of the spectrum - BMW getting busted by a BMW lol

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Can't really tell in the photo but I was pulled over by a BMW somewhere in colorado. 79 in a 50. They were nice enough to reduce it to 24 over to avoid jail time.

Welcome to the forum! Nice photo of the car towing the bike! Great scenery too!

Reactions: McRR and bennymx

·
Registered
926 Posts
That BMW is rated to tow 2400 pounds? Damn that is impressive. I've yet to see a sedan that can tow over 1500. I tow with a light trailer/bike with my '18 Accord Sport but it is not rated to tow at all. My '06 Accord was rated for 1000 pounds. My 5'x7' open trailer and bike combined are 700 pounds.

And you did this at 80mph, I'm impressed both by the feat and ticket avoidance!
I'm not sure what the bmw is rated for, but the 435 has a ton of power and torque. I'm sure that motor in one of bmw suv's would be rated double that. A lot of the European manufacturers rate their regular cars for towing over there but not in the US, or for considerably less.

I recently picked up a 19' accord sport, do you have any pics of the set up? I opted for the manual and the 2.0 motor so its got more than enough power thinking i'd be putting a hitch on. But noticed some of the hitches require some trimming of the frame? That can't be good..

I saw they make 1 1/4" receivers which are fine for small trailers, hell i towed probably 1200 miles with my wrx and that size receiver with zero issues. Its all balancing the trailer load and driving properly, and common sense.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I'm not sure what the bmw is rated for, but the 435 has a ton of power and torque. I'm sure that motor in one of bmw suv's would be rated double that. A lot of the European manufacturers rate their regular cars for towing over there but not in the US, or for considerably less.

I recently picked up a 19' accord sport, do you have any pics of the set up? I opted for the manual and the 2.0 motor so its got more than enough power thinking i'd be putting a hitch on. But noticed some of the hitches require some trimming of the frame? That can't be good..

I saw they make 1 1/4" receivers which are fine for small trailers, hell i towed probably 1200 miles with my wrx and that size receiver with zero issues. Its all balancing the trailer load and driving properly, and common sense.
My car is with my daughter for a week, so no pic. However, it is a CURT hitch, lots of images on the 'net. The hitch just came out when I purchased it and it did not fit as directed. I ended up getting creative over a weekend and made it work by bolting down through the trunk rather then up through the frame (there is a bulkhead in the frame that blocks the bolt insertion. I called CURT the following week to let them know and they said they were aware of the issue and were redesigning the unit and offer me no help. No matter it was already on and secure.

Your Accord I believe is rated to tow up to 1000# and 200# on the tongue. The limiting factor for mine is the CVT tranny (1.5T). You're golden with your setup. I wish I had purchased the 2.0 because there is a chip available for it that is amazing making it more powerful then a Civic type R or WRX for a few hundred bucks. My dealer has your car ('18) and when I told him about the chip he jumped on it after research.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts