BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I REALLY want this bike. I have wanted this bike for a very long time. I do have reservations about buying a 20k + bike that needs a flash from the get go, which will in turn immediately void the warranty. Sifting through info on this and other sites, it is agreed that the bike is gimped but fixable via flash. Still can barely find one on the east coast (southern) in spite of this fact. Not sure if I should pull the trigger now or wait. Any thoughts from owners?

-2013 Honda CBR 500R
-2014 ZX14R
-2019 Triumph Street Triple RS
-2020 BMWS1000RR???

·
4,669 Posts
Buy the hand held, so you swap back to stock when you go to dealership.
All of the modern liter bikes require flashing to work properly.

Reactions: bnombe

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Other than actual recalls, I suspect the reported problems are outliers (in the statistics sense of that word).

Some people had real problems - especially on early builds - but anecdotally it seems like things have improved.

Mine is a more recent build. Only about 1,600 miles and one track weekend on it, but so far no problems other than fear induced by all that power!

·
Vendor
2,632 Posts
I dont think that there are many on this forum that would say dont buy a new BMW., unless you wanted a matte black.

The bike is awesome without a flash process, but, the real fun will show when a proper ECU tune that makes 2nd and 3rd more useable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ditto that on other brand liter bikes . Have a buddy with a newer ZX10 who ran into the same emissions restricted bs . Opting for a flash is a mainstay with them as well . I think it would be hard to be unhappy with a K67 .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ditto that on other brand liter bikes . Have a buddy with a newer ZX10 who ran into the same emissions restricted bs . Opting for a flash is a mainstay with them as well . I think it would be hard to be unhappy with a K67 .
Good to know. I suspected As much, but I guess the S1000RR is getting the most attention given the true power of the bike.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The bike is awesome. I'm looking forward to see what racers do to the K67. I wont do what they do to mine but Im still interested in seeing the bikes potential.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ride the Triumph for another year, many of the issues will be resolved.
You can even wait another five years whereupon BMW will have a significant revision. It's like waiting for the better phone/computer because each year they get better. The flaw in this approach is that your time on earth is limited, so you have to ask/answer yourself the question: how much of your precious life do you want to live without the badass RR?

As to the specific problems with the RR, I think we know what they are and how they have been addressed:
  • Misdrilled crankcase hole. This was only on some of the earliest RRs and most were fixed before customer delivery.
  • Oil cooler hose/connector. Subject of a (two) recalls.
  • Carbon wheel cracks. Very limited and the cosmetic ones in the lacquer don't seem to exist in any newer models.
  • Weeping/leaking front brake calipers. This was/is an issue on batches of calipers across the entire high end line of BMWs. My service manager says he's seen it in a couple of RRs (out of their 25) and a GS.
All of these are obviously handled under warranty (an industry-leading three years in the US). If you have any of these issues, it's a pain, but they seem to be gone except maybe for the leaking calipers. But there will be others along with the random defects that plaque everything manufactured.

I don't mention the standard US tune as a problem - it is a regulatory issue that has a direct and simple solution.

My bike - built May 2019, delivered Aug - has been flawless through almost 9000 miles. It had the oil cooler recall at its 6000-mile service and I just stripped it down for a track day at COTA (Sunday). It's been my most fun purchase ever.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
If you must have newest and best...go for it, if you have a dealer near by. It's warranty anyway. If you live far away than it might be a little pain in the ass tho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All of these are obviously handled under warranty (an industry-leading three years in the US).
In Norway, BMW give you 5 years warranty. I have just ordered one, will probably sell it before the warranty is out, so any problems encountered are covered :)

·
Administrator
6,700 Posts
There's also a clutch oil feed bulletin.

Tom, you also have to ask what is my tolerance level for time in the shop with the bike I just bought? It can be a frustrating ordeal for a lot of people to see the summer squandered away while your new pride and joy is getting the sunshine treatment at the dealer. The very fact that someone asks if they should buy makes me think that they will be happier if they wait, too many potential regrets.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
May be biased, but I have a '17 RR and wouldn't trade it for a 2020, even if dealer would do an even swap. Doesn't mean the '20 isn't a decent bike, but my '17 is awesome.

·
Registered
373 Posts
May be biased, but I have a '17 RR and wouldn't trade it for a 2020, even if dealer would do an even swap. Doesn't mean the '20 isn't a decent bike, but my '17 is awesome.
Don't worry, none of us with a 2020 are going to want to trade for your '17.

Still the best bike for the money if you look at all the features and specifications. Most issues are nuisances. The two major issues I see are the leaking brake calipers and the CF wheels. You can avoid the latter by going with a race spec bike and get everything the M has minus the wheels and take that out of the equation. Brakes I'm still on the fence about since supposedly they are fixed now, but a set of Brembos can be had for $600-1500 depending on the route you want to go and that removes all doubts.

Already bought 2 of the 2020 models...unless the new base spec Fireblade comes to the U.S. I would buy it again.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Not out of the woods yet. I wouldn't say don't buy one. But if you do, be prepared for issues. This is only the beginning. I have fought with myself to not buy one because of the price vs problems conundrum. But I can't bring myself to do it.
Likewise, holding out for a bit longer while some of the core issues are sorted out. The aftermarket parts sellers are having a blast selling everything from brake calipers to master cylinders to forged aluminum wheels. We used to do some little cosmetic upgrades but with the k67, basic infrastructural pieces are also needing upgrades. And it’s already an expensive bike. All this waiting is a real test of patience.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts