BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about upgrading braking on my '15 to ABS Pro for $325(for enabling code). Occasional track day, but mostly street/commuting use. Is it worth it?

·
Vendor
2,632 Posts
I dont have much of an opinion about if this works or not. Who is really going to test as in an on purpose test of 30 degree lean angle panic brake lock front tire?

I have PRO ABS on my 2015 just because I can do the enable myself and if I didnt like it, I can just as easy remove it.

This is for lean angle ABS. I think it was for up to 30 or 35 degrees. The ABS is already there for just standard upright emergency braking where you lock the front tire and it attempts to tuck in on you. BMW was supposed to be developing the aggressive lean angle on track up to 60 degrees. That would be impressive.

I cannot do PRO ABS enable for people because there is code that has to go in the ESA and the ABS modules for this to be fully PRO ABS installed. Not worth sending all those parts for so little savings from what BMW charges for PRO ABS enable coding.

I caught a guy posting he was doing PRO ABS enables for people with just the ECU and all he was really doing was changing the VO/FA in the ECU and KOMBI to turn on the LCD to read PRO ABS when you switch the key on. The actual code was never placed in the ECU ABS and ESA like it was supposed to be.

·
Vendor
2,632 Posts
I use to know those details on the hardware and what was the issue with the 15's... but I forgot.

Here is what I think I remember on the 15. The PRO ABS code does install on the hardware there, but, there is some limited function of it. Maybe, it was the USER mode. Seems like you could not do ABS in USER mode like you could in the 16's that came with PRO ABS.

I do know that there was an updated ABS released in all 2016's made after June 2016 and those unit also started getting ABS PRO as base coding, and no enable was needed.

Reactions: RRob

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I checked with my shop, they ran my VIN and said I'd get a complete ABS Pro function. Whether they drilled down into the limits in USER mode, I don't know. That kind of adjustment wouldn't be in my future anyway. However, I can see having a little bit more ABS function while turning would be beneficial. As BMW_388 said, who's going to test it. Maybe CSS has/will test it with their slide bike one day and report out.

Decisions, decisions......

·
Registered
127 Posts
From memory as could be incorrect but any 2015 can have ABS pro functionality added by BMW, late model 2015 (near end of build year) actually came out with ABS pro but BMW didn't advertise it as a selling point. It wasn't till the 2016 BMW officially added it & started using as a selling point. For mind the major benefit it for heavy trail braking into a corner & if your a rider who tends to do this then it is beneficial.

·
Vendor
2,632 Posts
The release of PRO ABS was a huge talking point here on the forum. You can do some searching back in 15 / 16 and see some of our reactions.

The part number change for the ABS unit was listed as

34 51 8 561 705 PRESSURE MODULATOR (to 08/16)

34518561705 was superseded by 34518566956

The ECU's I collected back in 2016 are labeled as DME when the code change came about. This change is from 15 into early 16 as BMSX. The VO / FA addition to the code was 05AC for the PRO ABS option.

Like I kind of remember, the function is there in all 15's and early 16 hardware wise, it was just that setup in the modes was different, and I think it was USER mode.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
On my 14 hp4, I can have the dealer install it, but it only provides the pro functionality for rain and sport modes. So the emphasis being on safety while riding on the street. I'm still interested in having it upgraded at some point. I did talk with one of their customers at the shop who had his skr upgraded to abs pro, he boasted about the tremendous increase in his ability to trail brake (ymmv), but for me having the added support during the rainy season makes it worthwhile.

·
Administrator
6,700 Posts
If the bike comes with ABS Pro, sure it's great to have. But I've not met anyone (track or street) that has had the upgrade installed at the dealer and noticed any difference at all. Maybe my friends are slow, ymmv. Or maybe it's only active in some secret stealth mode when it's dealer installed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the bike comes with ABS Pro, sure it's great to have. But I've not met anyone (track or street) that has had the upgrade installed at the dealer and noticed any difference at all. Maybe my friends are slow, ymmv. Or maybe it's only active in some secret stealth mode when it's dealer installed.
This is why I'm on the fence about getting ABS Pro. I want it for the sake of having it, and hoping it'll make a difference but so many people have said they don't really notice a difference so it's almost not worth having.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is why I'm on the fence about getting ABS Pro. I want it for the sake of having it, and hoping it'll make a difference but so many people have said they don't really notice a difference so it's almost not worth having.
The same thing was said about traction control etc by old school riders like me when those systems were first introduced to motorbikes, the argument was throttle control is all you need & to this day I still tend to ride with throttle control instead of just jamming on full throttle out of a corner & trusting the system, that is more to do with my age & how I have ridden all my life. But on a hyper sportsbike like the s1000rr with the hp it has I'm a convert 100% the systems have saved me so many times while riding on the road when grip conditions can change so dramatically there worth there weight in gold. I do like to use what the s1000rr has average lean angle for me is over 50deg & I have had ABS pro kick in a few times while trail braking into corners especially when suddenly the grip level drops because nearly every corner your doing once unlike track. My opinion is you can never have to much safety for road riding & anything that helps in that vein is worth the $$.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Not sure what the newest version of ABS Pro does but I purchased it for my 2014 HP4. It only worked in rain and sport modes. The bike was converted to "track only" so I saw zero benefit as I am always in "slick mode."

On my '15 the one time I locked the front in a decreasing radius corner, I saved it on my own. Of course if a car had been in the oncoming lane I would have been splattered. :laugh:

I'd purchase it for the street. Not the track. Pretty sure even the newest version won't help there but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
962 Posts
ABS pro

there are only goodnesses coming out of ABS pro addon!! period!!

for the track, has longer trail brake capacity...

for the road, sudden jab on the brake making sure you made through corner...

i said its a win!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, I added the ABS Pro to my Oct '15 bike and it has saved me properly twice in the mountains where dirt had washed down onto the road mid corner. Trail braking in and could feel it take over the brakes and the stability control also helped a lot i.e I could feel the rear brake pedal going up and down on it's own.
So it's saved me thousands and probably some injuries, so worth the money in my opinion.
Works in all modes EXCEPT User.

J

1 - 15 of 15 Posts