BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I think if there are some Intermediate to Advanced riding courses near you, or you can sign up for the California Superbike School when they are close enough, or the Yamaha School, it would serve your needs very well. The problem with discussing these questions on the forum is that the most important part, where you get to try it out and receive coaching feedback is absent, and it's very easy to get bogged down in the details. I've been through those courses and it's been a life changing experience.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Of course. I am on the waiting list for a one day class with the California Superbike School here in Seattle. Hope they get some cancellations and let me in.

·
4,588 Posts
the idea of paid instruction is great, but i can't justify the cost versus a track day or race weekend. maybe when i am making more money, for now i get more enjoyment from more track time :grin2:
You will continue to make the same mistakes without an experienced coach to help you improve. Track school has been the best money spent (I spent a lot on it). In two years, better pace than friends with 4-8x track riding experience.

It's like discovering the right recipe ingredients and instructions by trial and error Vs someone who cooked it before showing you how it is done.

A side chick as a sugar mama can fix the money situation :wink2:

·
4,588 Posts
Of course. I am on the waiting list for a one day class with the California Superbike School here in Seattle. Hope they get some cancellations and let me in.
One day is not going to help you as much. Two day camp will give you more attention and it's structured better. I have done both and level 4 multiple times. Assuming money is not an issue :D

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
You will continue to make the same mistakes without an experienced coach to help you improve. Track school has been the best money spent (I spent a lot on it). In two years, better pace than friends with 4-8x track riding experience.

It's like discovering the right recipe ingredients and instructions by trial and error Vs someone who cooked it before showing you how it is done.

you are right, fortunately i have a couple experienced coaches @speedfinn being one of them :wink2: :grin2: :nerd:

i am lucky in the sense that the things holding me back are still easily defined in my data and video, this lets me get feedback from multiple sources. when i hear similar feedback from multiple (vetted) sources, i start to pay attention

the instant feedback from an on-track coach is definitely valuable, and in your case may be the best way for you to receive constructive criticism :wink2:>:)0:)

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
i don't subscribe to the whole 'side chick' bull$hit and would never compromise my integrity

plus, my 'main chick' is my title sponsor >:):grin2:0:)

·
4,588 Posts
i don't subscribe to the whole 'side chick' bull$hit and would never compromise my integrity

plus, my 'main chick' is my title sponsor >:):grin2:0:)

Your main chick must be reading the forum :grin2:

Bike life > integrity lol

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Your main chick must be reading the forum :grin2:

Bike life > integrity lol
she doesn't have time for that :laugh:

i learned early on in life that most everything can be taken from you without your permission. your integrity is one of the only things that you have full control over, and i keep my integrity whole and intact.

maybe if your integrity wasn't in pieces, your bike would follow? >:):grin2::x

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
To the OP:
You don’t describe your brake technique. Are you going full brakes, then tapering off? Or do progressively add pressure and “just make it”?
Are you trail braking? Are you using just front lever or both? Remember we have integrated braking, although it’s different in different modes. Is the rear off the ground? A bit, or Marquez style?

ABS is very obvious, you would be describing a hammering in your grip, or a pulsing in the bars, not a squirm. ABS is almost always a problem with poor lever control (jabbing the brakes) or poor road surface, so I’m gonna say it’s not ABS. But i think all people who complain about ABS are full of BS.

Squirming is more likely the bike trying to pivot at the headstem, although at 80-20mph unless you are doing that in like 20meters that seems weird. 140-40 on a straight, squeezing the lever and bulging my eyeballs I’ve had that. But maybe you are a late brake guy with large testicles, I don’t know.

Does the squirm change as you release to turn? Do you carry any brake into the turn?

I say doubt it’s the bike, more likely your skills, which gives you ample excuse to go ride more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
883 Posts

Any tips?

On landing said Sugar mama? I live near an affluent area and am cougar territory at 31.

Just kidding, can land them, just not the rich ones.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the idea of paid instruction is great, but i can't justify the cost versus a track day or race weekend. maybe when i am making more money, for now i get more enjoyment from more track time :grin2:
I did a significant number of track days with the goal of learning how to be a better rider. I took full advantage any time a coach would provide to me. This was a great experience.

A few months ago I went to my first advanced school (California Superbike School) and have to say I learned more in that one day than I did in all my track days. I got really lucky; my group had 2 instructors (one in training) and 2 riders. After the 2nd session the second rider decided he was done due to feeling ill. I spent the next 3 sessions with 2 instructors and just me. It was the best experience I have ever had on a motorcycle. I'm going back this winter to do a few more days.

I fully understand the cost aspect as that is where I was when I was doing track days, but if you can find a way to make it happen, I doubt you will regret it.

Cheers,
Flash

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
To the OP:
You don’t describe your brake technique. Are you going full brakes, then tapering off? Or do progressively add pressure and “just make it”?
Are you trail braking? Are you using just front lever or both? Remember we have integrated braking, although it’s different in different modes. Is the rear off the ground? A bit, or Marquez style?
I am trail braking. Trying to practice no coasting, i.e. either on throttle or on brakes, with varying success. I try to brake (and reduce the pressure as I go farther into the turn) all the way to the apex, though usually I am done braking before it. I don't break hard enough to lift the rear. I do use only the front lever (as I understand, in Race mode the front and rear are still linked). I am pretty sure that I put too much pressure on my wrists, and as @netaron directed my attention to the initial application, I think I squeeze too hard initially, so I am now trying to practice less weight on my wrists and smooth initial application.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just back from a day with California Superbike School at The Ridge in WA. An excellent day. I met Keith and Dylan Code, many great instructors, and many nice, kind, helpful fellow students. The help and discussions I had with my classmates were just as valuable as the instruction and feedback from coaches. While we didn't cover braking in particular (I took the 1 day course), we did cover some equally important topics (throttle control, turn points, rate of turn, relaxation, and vision); all familiar concepts from the many books, videos, and blogs, but with focused practice immediately following the class and instant feedback from the coach, I learned some new things, and by the end of the day, I was going faster, felt safer, didn't sweat as much, and had more fun. All in all, a great day. I am not a track junkie and I ride road exclusively, but this was on my bucket list and I am glad I did it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I want to thank you all for taking the time and giving me tips and things to look at. Special thanks to @netaron for the informative chat and detailed explanations he gave me. I believe I see an improvement now, with my reduced pressure on the bars, smoother initial application, and not trying that hard (to accelerate, to brake, to hang off...). The no-brakes exercise with CSS really opened my eyes to the realization that I can go reasonably fast without pushing real hard, so now I even have to brake less, and have the feeling I am just as quick as before.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts