BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've changed 4 sets now.

The surface inside the BMW CF wheel is not nearly as smooth as the surface inside a metal wheel. That gives me trouble when seating the bead. To compensate, I've been using more lube and air pressure than I like. So far no tire slip except a tiny bit on the rear. Not sure if there is a better way?

For future searchers, these videos are basic but reduced my worry over hurting the wheels.

Maybe the best tips in the videos are reducing air pressure for clamping the wheels to 55 PSI (if you're using a pneumatic machine), and to use these or similar: Rim Protectors - Motion Pro

Not limited to CF wheels, but with TPS I like to start with the valve stem at 6:00 when I break the bead and when removing/mounting the tire. For my first few changes I put a bit of bright colored tape near the valve stem to help me remember not to crush the sensor.

Please share corrections and tips?

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I can't help you with BSTs, but he Rotobox Boost I had on my R were much, much easier to change than the OEM rims, and I did not need to use any lube at all on them. However the Rotobox inside is finished almost as good as the clear coat on the outside(apart form the bead obviously).

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would be nice if the OEM CF wheels were like that. Kind of rough.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've changed 4 sets now.

The surface inside the BMW CF wheel is not nearly as smooth as the surface inside a metal wheel. That gives me trouble when seating the bead. To compensate, I've been using more lube and air pressure than I like. So far no tire slip except a tiny bit on the rear. Not sure if there is a better way?
Wipe off lube, and use hair spray when seating the final part of the bead.
Yes, hair spay, the very same s1hi ladys use when they are fixing their hair.
It is very slippery when sprayed, and very tacky when it dries, and it dries fast.
Sounds funny, but it works.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use hair spray when replacing grips - never thought to use it for tires. I'll give it a try!

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I use hair spray to mount slicks to our stomp 140s. We run as low a 18 psi so want to reduce rim slip. Hair spray is amazing bar trying to break the bead

1 - 9 of 9 Posts