BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

Banned
We took the carbon wheels off and used forged wheels. The carbon ones will go back on the bikes when we sell them.
For less worry about compromising the integrity of them due to the many tire changes and possible...ahhh..."agricultural" excursions? Will the forged ones go with the bike too, or...?

Banned
Wishful thinking, but hey, money talks, right.
I wish I could buy one, I'm just asking for those that are interested. I'd imagine they might like to have both. Use the C/F wheels to impress the [email protected]<ks crowd, and use the forged ones for the track.

Reactions: Nev3rL8

Vendor
I have a rear carbon and front wheel that have seen over 40 tires in 10000 miles. I even use a standard car tire machine for changes. Not a single failure of cracking that would cause alarm of a blown wheel. My rear has that resin spider cracking from day one, but someone has to test it and show it can survive track use and for sure normal road commuting use.

My 2nd 2020 has forged wheels on it and they are just like the K46 forged wheels. They will see many many tires into 2021.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
For less worry about compromising the integrity of them due to the many tire changes and possible...ahhh..."agricultural" excursions? Will the forged ones go with the bike too, or...?
We took the carbon wheels off so if a student crashed the bike and a wheel was damaged, they would not be charged the higher price for the carbon wheel. That's also why we take off the street bodywork and use track fairings. If there's a crash it's way less expensive of a repair. The bikes don't come with extra rims.

Registered
Not sure if it鈥檚 just me but I don鈥檛 see why anyone would even consider buying a bike with 15k-25k TRACK miles for between 14 and 18 thousand dollars. I mean seriously I bought a 2020 red s1k with both the race and select package for like $20k out the door... if I were to put 20k miles on it I doubt I could get $10,000 for it... I hope you guys replaced rotors, chains, sprockets, wheel bearings, and etc wear and tear items for that price point.

Registered
Not sure if it鈥檚 just me but I don鈥檛 see why anyone would even consider buying a bike with 15k-25k TRACK miles for between 14 and 18 thousand dollars. I mean seriously I bought a 2020 red s1k with both the race and select package for like 20k out the door... if I were to put 20k miles on it I doubt I could get $10,000 for it... I hope you guys replaced rotors, chains, sprockets, wheel bearings, and etc wear and tear items for that price point.
If these bikes weren鈥檛 thorough bread race machines it would be a different story but they just simply are not designed for that many miles. Especially a bunch of students riding them that much within 12 months. Just sounds sketchy.

Registered
If these bikes weren鈥檛 thorough bread race machines it would be a different story but they just simply are not designed for that many miles. Especially a bunch of students riding them that much within 12 months. Just sounds sketchy.
I kinda agree, I would be buying 15-25k track miles at 10k, not 15k.....

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You got a point, but we get our own coaches buying the used fleet bikes for themselves AND racing them. They consistently perform and hold up well. The fleet gets regularly cleaned, serviced and maintained by a BMW master tech. Most students ride at a medium pace. When you say they are not designed for that many miles, one of our staff put 60,000 miles on a second gen S1000RR...

Administrator
Well 15k track miles at the CSS school would be FAR batter treatment of a bike than 15k from some street hooligan or "aggressive" street rider. I've seen the bikes, how they are ridden and how they are treated, I would not hesitate to purchase one if I was in the market.

Registered
I bought my K46 from CSS last year, and there isn't a better way to buy an RR imho. I certainly wouldn't have done so otherwise, and if for some reason I wanted another I would do it again.

As Dylan said, most students aren't riding anywhere near the bike's limit. Most of those miles are by midlevel track riders who are out there practicing specific drills rather than going for all out lap times. I did think about the mileage and use of the bikes, but having been to CSS and seing the riders, the condition of the bikes I rode, and seeing/talking to the mechanic made me comfortable with it. Moresoe than buying a used bike privately since you can talk to the mechanic, who is a good guy too.

My bike had just over 20k when I bought it and runs flawlessly. I've put about 1300 on it, all track since I got it as a dedicated track bike. I intended to have ridden a lot more this year, but track days where shutdown for a while due to the virus.

Reach out to JJ at CSS, shipping can be arranged.
He can provide status as well.

Vendor
Wish it was available in Canada
ship to USA address and bring across the border once it opens again anyway. Bill of sale and title use to be all you needed.

Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
ship to USA address and bring across the border once it opens again anyway. Bill of sale and title use to be all you needed.
Aren't there emission and other requirements in Canada which might make importation a bit more difficult?

Premium Member
Yeah I've looked into bringing it over the border. They don't make it easy. Its not as simple as driving it over or anything. The red tape involved is a nightmare.

Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
Yeah I've looked into bringing it over the border. They don't make it easy. Its not as simple as driving it over or anything. The red tape involved is a nightmare.
Is finding a company who specializes in importing vehicles into a country an option?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts